View Poll Results: How long do you expect a new purchase of bedding to last?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • As long as the manufacturer's warranty

1 2.70%
  • 20 years or longer

1 2.70%
  • 15 to 20 years

3 8.11%
  • 10 to 15 years

19 51.35%
  • less than 10 years

13 35.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long do you think your bedding will last?

zee703 Guest

Default Re: How long do you think your bedding will last?

About 3 years ago I bought a Serta firm mattress. In less than 3 months there was an indentation - enough for me to get a replacement. (and I'm average weight for 5'4" female). That replacement mattress began to sag after a month. Got another replacement and that one did the same. (It's now in our guest room). Then I bought a Sleep by Numbers and have an aching back all the time. So I no longer truly believe in a mattress lasting for very long these days. I've done research online and have read that the all cotton mattresses last longer but are incredibly expensive. So right now I don't have much faith in the bedding industry and am leery of trying a new mattress...but my back needs some relief so who knows...

You'll spend just under $ 3K for a solid, no frills All-Cotton Queen set from Royal Pedic - delivered. While I don't think that's "incredibly expensive" myself (perhaps it is compared to the $ 899 junk bed sets out there) what you DO get for your money is non-degrading performance. The bed will sleep just as good when its 14 years old as the day it was new....and that's worth something. It may not be any better on your back, because mostly that's health issues and not the result of what bed you sleep on (this is told to me by several orthopedic surgeons that shop in my store - I ask!).

I only carry one line of bedding in my store. Why? I don't want to be a bedding store - its a hassle to sell bedding. However I need bedding for my own family and decided after doing my research that Royal Pedic was the brand, so I got the dealership for purely selfish reasons. My wife and I, and my two kids, all sleep on Royal Pedic All Cottons. I even had R.P custom make the bedding for my son since he's 6' 5" tall. You'll never get much of a sale pitch from me on bedding, because honestly - you can't shop it on specs (spring count, warranty, core density, etc.). Talking to people that own the bed is the best recommendation on how to buy one. Most every bed sleeps good when they're new - its how they sleep when they're a few years old that separates the good ones from the bad.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

zee703 Guest

Smile Re: How long do you think your bedding will last?

Thanks for the info' Duane. I've been doing research on-line for over a year now and I think Royal Pedic is going to be "it".

Snappy Guest

Around how much does it bump the price to have a custom size made? Have you had problems finding sheets that will fit your son's custom-sized bedding?

I don't remember, we did that several years ago. I'd have to get a quote on the size you want after you select a model. We have no problems with sheets because with the super-deep mattresses these days sheets are built to cover more square footage.
    Duane Collie

Jaywalker Guest

Well, I cheated with my vote. I know how long my FloBed Talalay latex mattress will last - 10 years. I know because it's now worn out after 10 years. I cut their advertising of "30 years" in half when I bought it, but even that was too optimistic, even with our use of real box springs. It worked great, though...while it worked. I was beginning to wonder whether I needed to have the "mattress cover" cleaned (dust mites, maybe?), but now I won't have to do that.

Duane, what about dust mites in Royal Pedic? Can/should they be cleaned at some point?

Dust mites are not attracted to latex, or the all cotton bedding for that matter, so they are considered 'clean' bedding in the trade. Most dust mites live in your pillow!
    Duane Collie