Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the Best Made Upholstered Sofa

woodsidequeen Guest

Default What is the Best Made Upholstered Sofa

Looking for a sofa and chair. Have a 5 year old Century and the spring has gone under one seat already. Looking at Stickley & Hickory Chair also Huntington House. Can someone recommend a high quality well made brand?

Default Re: Best made upholsterd sofa? Opinions Please

Your Century should be under warranty....is it not?

Hickory Chair is definitely not what it was years ago. I wanted to carry that line for years and couldn't get a dealership back in the 80's. When they finally called me up and said I could have it (2001) they'd change the way they made it. Stickley is OK, Huntington House I have no experience with.

Pretty hard to beat Hancock and Moore and their related companies for quality and building them right: Councill and Taylor King.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

woodsidequeen Guest

The Century sofa no longer fits in our new house, thus the search for a new sofa. So you think I should reconsider Century?

I was quoted $4600 on the Stickley sofa. About $1000 more than my budget. I did like the way it "sat". Nice depth. Same with the Hickory Chair.

Thank you for your recommendations. Are there any sofas that are made in the US or are they all off shore?

Price really depends on cover. There's a wide swing based on the material used on the piece. At $ 4,600 though, that should buy you a REALLY nice sofa with a top-drawer material. You can get a very nice sofa for much less than that.

Most upholstery is still made in America, because the wait times are too long to do them overseas, what with the multitude of cover choices and trying to get them all in a container for shipment in a timely manner. The frames can be imported and likely are if they are ornately carved.
    Duane Collie

jarrodsmorton Guest

Huntington House is a great line manufactured in Hickory, NC. I have a actually had a sofa and loveseat from their line for five years, and it still sits new. Taylor King is also a great line. They are pretty comparable in quality. Huntington House will probably have a few more fabric options, but it depends on the dealer you go to. Not all dealers carry their complete fabric line.

QualityQuest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Your Century should be under warranty....is it not?

Hickory Chair is definitely not what it was years ago. I wanted to carry that line for years and couldn't get a dealership back in the 80's. When they finally called me up and said I could have it (2001) they'd change the way they made it. Stickley is OK, Huntington House I have no experience with.

Pretty hard to beat Hancock and Moore and their related companies for quality and building them right: Councill and Taylor King.
    I have a 1991 "Out of Africa" sofa purchased at Domain (a now-defunct Boston area furniture store) that was made by Century.

Upholsterers have quoted me between $2,000 and $2,500 to reupholster it. I'm sure the price would be even higher if I choose a higher-end fabric.

A few questions:

1. How does the quality of a 1991 Century sofa compare to options available today from Century, Taylor King, Councill, etc. in terms of quality of construction?

2. In your opinion, is it worth spending the money to reupholster the current sofa for $2,000-$2,500 or should I consider a new sofa instead?

3. Are Councill and Taylor King the brands I should consider or are there others as well?

Thanks.

Default Re: What is the Best Made Upholstered Sofa

Design and build parameters change over the years from every maker, just because its 'old' doesn't mean its better. I have no idea how a 25 year old Century sofa was made, sorry.

Re-upholstery in my opinion, is done not for economical reasons, but because you have an enjoyment or bond with that particular piece and there is nothing on the market to replace it with. Either that, or if its a valuable old designer piece or important antique or heirloom. Old is Old. The springs are old, the webbing is tired, the cushions will be shot and the frame need to be re-bonded. Plus, the upholsterer has to make the patter from scratch. Costs a lot of money to do it right.

If you want the best upholstery in the USA, then Kindel, Karges, Councill is a pretty good place to go to. Be prepared to pay $ 10K for a sofa, however, and $ 6K for a chair. Taylor King is not at their level....
    Duane Collie

QualityQuest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Design and build parameters change over the years from every maker, just because its 'old' doesn't mean its better. I have no idea how a 25 year old Century sofa was made, sorry.

Re-upholstery in my opinion, is done not for economical reasons, but because you have an enjoyment or bond with that particular piece and there is nothing on the market to replace it with. Either that, or if its a valuable old designer piece or important antique or heirloom. Old is Old. The springs are old, the webbing is tired, the cushions will be shot and the frame need to be re-bonded. Plus, the upholsterer has to make the patter from scratch. Costs a lot of money to do it right.

If you want the best upholstery in the USA, then Kindel, Karges, Councill is a pretty good place to go to. Be prepared to pay $ 10K for a sofa, however, and $ 6K for a chair. Taylor King is not at their level....
    Thank you for your response. $10K for a sofa is WAY out of my price range.

You wrote in another post in this thread: "Price really depends on cover. There's a wide swing based on the material used on the piece. At $ 4,600 though, that should buy you a REALLY nice sofa with a top-drawer material. You can get a very nice sofa for much less than that."

What brands would you suggest in that lower price range that you reference?

Thank you for your valuable guidance.

"lower price range" is not definitive. actual numbers are much better.

Long time readers of the forum know I'm not a 'brand' recommendation guy, because I can't possibly be familiar with all the construction points from every maker. Rather the key is to use the forum (and the info is already posted here) on what makes a good piece, then use that information in your search. Best bang for the buck that I know of is the Taylor King 'Design your own' program in standard depths and Portfolio GR 1 fabrics. Sofas run well under $ 2K that way and are USA-made with good (but not the best in industry) construction quality.
    Duane Collie

QualityQuest Guest

I've read the forum dozens of times but just decided to post in case anything has changed in terms of new products, etc.

The sofa I'm asking about has not been used much at all but I don't know if that matters given its age.

In terms of price points I'd be looking at a range from $2,000 on the low end to $4,000 on the high end. I'll check into the Taylor King program you mentioned. Are there other manufacturers I should consider at $3,000 and $4,000 price points?