Thread: H&M sofa choices and doorway

whoiswho Guest

Default H&M sofa choices and doorway

It drives me crazy trying to find a nice H&M sofa and a chair that will go through my 30.5" doorway (31" backdoor). I have been talking to Duane by emails, but I think it will be beneficial to people in similar situation if I post here.
    1. Austin sofa (#8134NB) and high back tilt chair (#2038NB). They are so comfortable but I am not sure if the sofa can get in.
    2. Member sofa (#1904 or 4701 or 4107). Their dimensions are slightly different on the website. I don't know if they are just the variability of handcrafted sofas or they are made to be different. My local dealer told me it can get in but I want a second opinion.
    3. I know the city sofa (#9840) can definitely go in but I am not crazy about it.

Any suggestions or experiences you can share will be appreciated.

New to Leather Guest

Default Re: H&M sofa choices and doorway

Hi,

I just purchased the low-back Austin sofa and had the same concern.
    The doorway in our den was just 31" wide. The delivery men had
    to take t he four feet off the sofa and pitch it at an angle to get it
    through the door. Luckily it all worked out and we are enjoying
    it very much. The delivery men could not believe the softness of
    the leather. I, too, was debating between the City Sofa and the
    Austin, but once my husband saw the Austin and sat in it, the
    decision was instantly made to go with the Austin. Hope this
    helps in your decision.

whoiswho Guest

Thanks! New to leather. It is encouraging to know the Austin can go in your den. It sits much better than the City sofa. You made a great choice. Enjoy!!

james.matthew Guest

Are there any smaller sofas? I think my doorway is slightly smaller than 30'5".

Quote Originally Posted by james.matthew View Post
    Are there any smaller sofas? I think my doorway is slightly smaller than 30'5".
    This is my favorite topic. My furniture company, Simplicity Sofas, builds custom sofas, sleepers and sectionals engineered exclusively to fit through even the narrowest doors and staircases. 15" of width is all we need for even our largest items.

This is not H&M quality, but it is the highest quality Ready to Assemble upholstered furniture in the world. Everything we manufacture is bench made, one piece at a time, by skilled craftspeople in High Point, NC using kiln-dried solid oak, ash or maple frames and Ultracel or down-blend High Resilience cushions.

Our patented quick-assembly system enables a single person to assemble one of our sofas in about 15 minutes with no tools. For those of you who doubt, take a look at the YouTube video link towards the bottom of our home page. It shows one of our full-size sofas being assembled in real time (less than 4 minutes) by an 8 year old boy.

I apologize if this sounds like spam to some of you out there. We are a very unusual company making an unusual product that very few people have ever heard of. I don't often get a chance to talk about it in a public forum.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

Hey Jeff,

See, I TOLD you that you need to start offering leather! <g>

<Jeff stopped by my store this past weekend and we had time to chat on the industry, etc.>

Saying what will and will not fit through a doorway is a dangerous endeavor. Because what if it....doesn't? Then everyone is upset. The customer, the merchant, the maker, the movers. All we can do is give the best guess based on experience and while I usually guess with about 98% accuracy, its the 2 % miss that causes lots of turmoil. And unless you have the sofa in front of you to measure (such as in my store) then its even more difficult to determine. Precise measurements are critical, and remember that unless you are buying locally, then distance delivery merchants will not guarantee it will fit. On more than one occasion they have not, and a carpenter has to be called in to remove the door frame back to the jambs, then reinstall after the pieces is in the home. Sectionals that are comprised of chair-sized units are the easiest to get in a home, or recliners/tilt back chairs.

And the easiest way is to get a Simplicity Sofa from Jeff....no worries then. Fits into any opening.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

james.matthew Guest

Thanks for the help! I will definitely look into that