Thread: Hi, new here and a question about repairing a H&M scratch/scuff

fidoprincess Guest

Default Hi, new here and a question about repairing a H&M scratch/scuff

I really fell in love with a used sofa but it has a small scuff in the front of the seat that is really obvious to me because the leather is a navy blue and the scuff/scratch mark shows white. It's almost like a drag mark with little dots of white showing through. Can this be repaired?

I don't know what the leather, style, etc. is but I really do love it. I read the warranty only applies to the original owner so not me if I get it. I thought I saw it might be around $400 to send the cushion back to H&M but maybe there is just some "touch up" stuff you put on.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me. Here is a link to pics of the sofa and loveseat. Maybe someone here knows the style and color and even how old it might be?
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/fuo/1989518166.html

I went to look and ended up buying something else but just can't get this one off my mind! I still want it and he reduced the price a bit, wonder if it is worth what he is asking. I can not afford to buy a new one.

Default Re: Hi, new here and a question about repairing a H&M scratch/scuff

Those are the Kodiak series in H&M, good stuff, reasonable asking price, too. New that set would be over $ 5K. They appear to be in good shape, H&M label indicates they are several years old. Not many people will recognize that for what it is so the seller will get few buyers for it. You're in a good position to offer less (note that you have to get the marks repaired and deduct accordingly).

Warranties do not apply to scuffs or any cover damages for that matter, but those are relatively easy to touch up. Simply call a mobile leather repair person in your area and they will charge you $ 100 to $ 150 for a house call and when they're done you won't even see the mark. You should have lots of choices for Home Leather Repair in the San Francisco area.

Good luck!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

fidoprincess Guest

Thanks so much Duane! I am so glad I found your new website from over at the GardenWeb. I read all of your posts about furniture there and have really used that information through the years so I thank you again for all the past posts you have made. I will just make myself at home over here.

In light of the post below mine and the fact that I didn't get to measure the pieces, do you think I can get them in a doorway of 33"? It might be 34 if I take off the doorknob.

I did just make him an offer so we'll see what happens...I am almost holding my breath!

You're good to go on Kodiaks at 33". Should go right in. Hope you get them!
    Duane Collie

tivoboy Guest

Duane

Do all cushions become loose and wrinkly over time like the picture or do they just need to be fluffed up?

That's pretty much normal wear on those. They're borderline in needing replacement of the inner cores. The leather is going to stretch some*, but also the cushion cores breaks down over time (at the 10 year mark, due for replacement). Those pieces are more than a couple years old (sellers claim), that H&M label hasn't been used by the company in at least 6 years, so we know they have to be 2004 vintage or older. Ideally, I'd ask the seller to get a new set of cores before buying the pieces as the original owner can get free replacements.

* H&M uses only Grade A Steer Hide which is the finest available, and exhibits the least amount of stretch over time.
    Duane Collie

fidoprincess Guest

Thanks again for all of your help. The seller never contacted me back regarding my offer, not even a counter offer. Now that I hear they are much older and need the cores replaced, maybe it is best. He said they did not have the paperwork and when pressed he said his brother gave them the sofas so he is not the original owner in a position to get the cores replace either.

I also thought a new set would cost much more than $5K so maybe I can just get my own fresh and new ones. I never shopped at all. Just saw those and liked them and thought they might be a good deal. Thanks again Duane. I really appreciate it!

That's about $ 5.5K from my store for a pair of Kodiaks (plus shipping will take it to just under $ 6K), the dealers in California will be more like $ 8K to $ 9K <g>

Funny how the truth comes out when they're called on the carpet, eh? I remember that label back in the 80's and they used it in the 90's as well. There as a period of time when I was not an H&M dealer (the local big guy in town wanted an exclusive, so they took the line from me). I came back into H&M in 2006 when that local big guy when bankrupt and stole millions from his suppliers and customers, and that label had been updated by then. So being 2010, we know that it hadn't been used in the past four years....which of course goes well beyond "a couple of years old' in his ad. While they don't look bad, I'm guessing they're about 10 years old from the looks of the cushion cores, etc.
    Duane Collie

fidoprincess Guest

Thanks again Duane! I guess this just goes to show that one should never buy something used before they know what new costs. What a shame it would have been to spend the money on a 10 year old sofa when I could put that to a brand new one. I will email you when I'm ready! Thanks again for saving me.