Thread: New here and starting from scratch

psrunyan Guest

Default New here and starting from scratch

Hi all,
    Like a lot of people here, I found my way here from the Garden Web. Aggravating as it can be GW can contain some useful information and that is how I found Duane and his Furniture 101 posts. That in turn led me to the link for this site. Duane, you have done a great job providing information and guidance to everyone here. I now know why I dislike all my furniture so much!

I have been a constant visitor for the past several weeks and my time has been well spent. Armed with my new knowledge and a good idea of what I wanted I visited two local furniture stores. At the first one I was completely amazed at the lack of knowledge of their product and what they tried to pass it off as quality furniture. The second carried H&M and other quality brands, but had no H&M sofas on the floor except a special order "Hill Country" model gimped and nailed to the max and priced at $12K. No thanks. They did have an Austin high back recliner!

So, now it's back to the forum and looking for your advice. I'm including pictures of my current layout and the plan from Icovia showing dimensions. This is a small awkward room, but it's where we spend most of our time. The Journey or September sofa would be the first choice for comfort. Then what else works in this space? Two chairs, loveseat, chair and recliner? The room seems crowded to me now and I'm not sure what to look at beyond the sofa.

Your ideas and thoughts would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Peggy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	myimage.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	1561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	1562   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	1563  

Default Re: New here and starting from scratch

That's a perfect room for a sectional, Peggy. I think that's exactly what I would put in there. Probably one like this:

<Taylor King Cozy Creations Sectional>

http://www.taylorking.com/products.p...ochure1&m=12!0

IF you want to go leather, then the Hancock and Moore St Charles would look nice in there.

A sectional will give a 'flow' to the room and prevent it from looking 'chopped up' as it does now. Smoother transitions and more comfort for TV viewing. Use an ottoman like you have now (that one you have is too high, you want at least a 2" drop from the seat height of the sofa to be comfortable). Then pop in a nice compact swivel chair from Jessica Charles or Taylor King and you'd be set.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

psrunyan Guest

Hmm, I've never considered a sectional. If we go that way, I would like to go with a more traditional style with rolled arms for comfort when reading. A forum search on sectionals shows a September that is more our style. You have also recommended the Journey for comfort.

DH's main request is a place for a nap. With him being 6'2" could we use a wall hugging recliner where the loveseat is located? It would seldom be fully reclined. I can see your point on the swivel, but I'm wanting to stick with all leather and none of the H&M swivels really appeals to me.

I also want to go with a level 2 or 3 leather. Will getting a sectional, ottoman, and whatever chair in the same leather be a long wait? I am willing to compromise on colors to work with what's in their stock, but am wondering if this is possible with so many pieces.

I appreciate your feedback and do realize that room has something totally wrong going on and you are certainly right about the ottoman being to high, it puts my feet to sleep after a couple hours of couch time. So based on the above what direction do you feel we should take?

Thanks,
    Peggy

Peggy,

Sure, you can use a recliner where the loveseat is, but I'd still want to stay with one that has a swivel base so it can face the TV. There's really no need to use a wallhugger if going where the loveseat is located as there is plenty of room in that location for it to recline. Personally, I'm still liking the sectional and possibly a wallhugger recliner where that single chairs is on your drawing. Any chair in the middle of the room should be a swivel so it can turn to the TV and then also come the otherway towards the sofa for conversation. H&M isn't the only one that has product in swivel recliners, there's a number of them in Taylor King and Leathercraft as well.

Order times are based on if a given cover is in-stock. If they do have the covers, then 6 weeks production is the norm + shipping time (latter based on where you live). Right now we can still get pieces delivered before Christmas but that window is rapidly closing!

Did you save your plan to the Icovia Room Planner using my account? If so, I can go there and do some layout mods and see what you think....
    Duane Collie

psrunyan Guest

Duane, thanks so much for your reply. I'm leaning toward the sectional now for sure. I checked out several of the lines you carry for swivel recliners (which I didn't realize existed) and found a BY #7012 that I like. I'm thinking something along this line. I couldn't find any pictures of their leather other than on the models. Are these available online anywhere?

Can you recommend a ottoman to go with the Journey or Semptember? Also do these sit about the same? The Journey's back pillows are attached to my understanding and I'm concerned with the favorite spot on the counch getting that rumpled look. Seems like you could switch the September back pillows around to keep one pillow from constant use.

My main concern for delivery is that we have homes in two states and I will be leaving Texas after the first of the year and if delivery was past that point it would influence my plans. But that puts us back to leather and frames inventory. I'll pm you about pricing and perhaps we can start from there.

Thanks so much.
    Peggy

Peggy,

I think the sectional is the right way to go in your room, for sure. It will clean up the look of the room and make it look more 'put together' and organized, and actually give you a bit more seating when company comes over as well.

BY doesn't post their leathers on line, sorry. I can get samples to you if needed (just need a starting point for which you can say "I like the leather shown here".... and post the link to it. Then just PM me with your address. No charge for samples.

The Journey tends to have a little more back pitch than the September, otherwise they sit remarkably similar. Yes, the Journey is attached, the September loose, but it won't make much difference as leather cushions are not reversible due to the vent panels in the back. The Journey is probably better for watching TV, the September for sitting upright and having a conversation.

For ottomans, one I use frequently for those sectionals are these - keep in mind a 2" drop on the ottoman from the seat height is ideal:

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1550

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1551

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1555

As to time frame, we can easily make delivery by late December on almost any leather that is in-stock. Even leathers that are out-of-stock but arriving in the next 2 to 3 weeks would be do-able.
    Duane Collie

psrunyan Guest

Thanks Duane. As for the ottomans, will they match the feet to the sofa or does this play into the height problem? Did you got my pm yesterday? Would you please add pricing for the 1550 and 1551 in levels 1-3. After I check the prices, I'll decide on samples and get you an address. You have been at tremendous help and l'm looking forward to working with you on an order.

Thanks,
    Peggy

Quite often we can swap the feet or legs on ottomans to match, though it depends on the model. Sometimes there is a nominal surcharge to do so from H&M. Check your PM for ottoman pricing!
    Duane Collie