Thread: How to tell if furniture is good enough quality to reupholster?

jeanc Guest

Question How to tell if furniture is good enough quality to reupholster?

Hello,

We have a nice sectional sofa (four pieces) that my parents bought at Workbench in the 80s, before Workbench went out of business. Needless to say, the cushions and fabric are getting worn out, but we still like the comfort, size and design. We shopped around for a new sectional (we were looking at the American Leather sectional sleepers) but we haven't seen anything we like so much as the one we have. I spoke to a local upholsterer, and he felt that it would be expensive ($5-6k at least, without seeing them in person) and not worth it unless this were a quality piece with kiln-dried wood, etc.

How do we tell? Certainly the sectionals have withstood the test of time, and are very sturdy despite 25 years of abuse. Would you have any advice about recovering them with less expense? I am not afraid of simple sewing projects, and had some thought about having the bases professionally redone, but buying foam for the cushions myself and sewing covers of dust mite proof fabric.

Thanks!

Default Re: How to tell if furniture is good enough quality to reupholster?

You can't really tell how well this is made until the covers are off, then the frame and springs and webbing are exposed. But if the deck is firm and not sagging, the arms are tight when you push on them and you like the way it sits you certainly can recover it in fabric. To re-do it in leather is generally not cost effective.

Modern cushions are truly engineered and not just hunks of foam. You will find the foam to be unsatisfactory. To get a proper cushion core you'll need to work with a good upholsterer who can order the cores for your piece. That's not where you want to try to save money. Good luck,
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I think the price your upholsterer gave you is outrageous. Depending on your choice of fabric you can run the total cost up that high, but you should be able to find a good craftsman who can reupholster your sectional for $2000 - $2500 (plus the cost of the fabric) unless the frame has an unusual shape or construction. From what I remember of Workbench, however, their styles were pretty normal.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas

organic_smallhome Guest

I concur with Jeff. The price quote you were given is just nutty.

jeanc Guest

Thank you for your input, Jeff and organic_smallhome!

We are in NYC if that explains the outrageous price a bit (not that the upholsterer in the Bronx that I consulted was very high end.) The shapes of the sectionals are about as basic as can be. I'll get another quote.

If you live in NYC you might try Dr. Sofa. They are based in the Bronx. I have never dealt with them on reupholstery but their custom sofas are top of the line and their furniture repair work and customer service is outstanding. They have also been very reasonably priced. Send an email to max@drsofa.com and let him know you were referred by Jeff Frank at Simplicity Sofas. That might get you a small discount. Let me know if it works out.

Jeff Frank
    Simplicity Sofas