Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new furniture for front room

Default Re: Looking for new furniture for front room

Yes, the Journey lounger is a top-of-the-line comfort piece, though I think the Miller can usually hold its own with it and my personal favorite, the Sadler has to be included in that group, Tammy. The Rugby is a more compact recliner than the others, for sure. They don't build the Journey as a tilt-back, sorry! There were a couple new tilt backs rolled out last month, the Kendall and the Allison, which you can see here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...COCK-amp-MOORE

The 1948 Princeton I've never seen in person. Looking at the specs, its deep-seated, but someone shorter than average in back height.
    The 1943 Bradley is always a good sitter, I like all the pieces in this series (the Tilt Back Chair is good, too)
    The 8140 NB is basically a shortened loveseat, and its a good piece as well.
    They're not going to make you a customer Journey Tilt Back at anything approaching a sane price <g>

I have to say I'm not crazy about the LR2 plan. It looks like a near-sectional with a couple pieces missing. I think a sectional would give you a much more cleaner, put -together look in the room. I see what you're trying to do though, and thats get a stand along recliner in the room to watch TV in and still have a sofa/loveseat. I'm going to stay with the sectional recommendation and a nice big comfy ottoman, or a motion piece in the far left sectional seating spot.

Document feels nice, but I have to say its my second least favorite leather in the H&M lineup. (Challenger is the worst!) While Document is an important leather for H&M, its heavily processed (like Cheez Whiz in a jar) and I've seen a few instances where pigment has come off the hide in small spots. There are better leathers in the line.

Yes, bustle back cushions are EASY to replace the cores. Zip 'em in, Zip 'em out. Piece of cake.

Glad to help!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

I tried to locate the Kendall & Allison you referenced but am unable to locate them due to my difficulties in reading the tags.

OK, OK, OK, I guess it'll be a sectional. As we were unable to sit a sectional by H&M I really don't know how DH will respond to the lack of a full out, reclining back though.

The pix I've seen of the Austin show the back pitch to be somewhat reclining though. How does the pitch compare to the Journey, which I also see is available as a sectional (but at the same time, I note the Journey back height may not have a high enough back to support hubby's napping brain <wink>).

So the next series of questions:

1. How is the corner on the http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...roductid=1736? Is it a 90 deg or a radius curve?
    2. How do the sectional pieces keep from sliding apart? And are they easy to slide apart when one wants them apart (cleaning, moving, adjusting, etc.)?
    3. So would H&M build in a tilt-back on the left end instead of a recliner? Yes, there's a theme here <shrug>
    4. I would prefer a different style of foot...oh heck, I guess I should stop trying to reinvent the wheel, huh? So I won't ask about single cushion backs either since I originally was dead set against a bustle back piece <sigh>
    5. What ottoman would you recommend with the sectional? Given the scale of our room.
    6. In reading through previous posts, it appears H&M offers sale pricing on non-T&C units in February and August, with a typical savings of 5%. Is this accurate or do you anticipate a "sale" in the immediate future?
    7. Are you tired of leading me around by the hand yet?

The next step, after reviewing your replies to above, will be to PM/email you regarding pricing quotes.

Thanks again,
    Tammy (the hard-headed, thick-brained one)

Yes, until they have the new items up on the H&M website, you can't easily find the new pieces - just have to tab through the photos and read the tags, sorry!

HA! Well, since DH is paying for it (and you too, Tammy) you have to get what you want. I can toss out suggestions, but ultimately get what works for you - not what I or anyone else says is the best layout, etc.

OK, now for questions:

* The Journey has more back pitch than the Austin, but just a little bit. Back should be high enough on the Journey (but if he really wants a recliner, that's not going to substitute for one).

* That's a radius curve on the Austin High Back Sectional Quarter Round.

* No Tilt Back Mod possible, for sure. (I called and asked the custom dept)

* You can change legs, the trick is to try to pick one that's the same overall height +/- 1/4" so that you are not altering the pitch and angles of the piece (back legs won't change). Get too tall a foot/leg on there and it completely changes the way a piece can feel. Usually there is a nominal upcharge to change legs.

* You don't want single back cushions. It completely changes the way it feels and I think it cuts the comfort level significantly. That said, if you got to have them, we can do it.

* An ottoman in the 40" square range or so. You want one that's 2" lower than the seat height for max. comfort. I like the # 072 ottoman, and have it cut down an inch for 18" overall height.

* Correct, we normally have a 5% off sale period in Feb and Aug. - that's a Keeping Room Store Sale Period. That's the only sale periods of the year.

* Naww....so far, you're still being easy on me <G>

Duane Collie

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Yes, until they have the new items up on the H&M website, you can't easily find the new pieces - just have to tab through the photos and read the tags, sorry! No apology necessary at all, I know the energy that goes into shooting photos while trying to conduct business at the same time and appreciate the fact that you still manage to get it done and share with forum members. The previews are well worth it, IMHO

HA! Well, since DH is paying for it (and you too, Tammy) you have to get what you want. I can toss out suggestions, but ultimately get what works for you - not what I or anyone else says is the best layout, etc. But I do appreciate your insight, experience and opinions. You provide me the opportunity to not make the same mistakes that others may have made over the years.

OK, now for questions:

* The Journey has more back pitch than the Austin, but just a little bit. Back should be high enough on the Journey (but if he really wants a recliner, that's not going to substitute for one). My opinion, FWIW, is if he wants to recline, we have a perfectly serviceable waterbed one room away (unkind? At least he wouldn't be bothered by the menagerie if he moves the "ladder" at the end of the bed). Bear in mind, this is a man that can catnap in any position, provided he's not in motion (I've seen him nap in some of the strangest, most awkward positions...he can shut down at the drop of a hat). I also think that if he tucks himself into the corner and lays out onto the ottoman, that it would likely be almost recliner-like (almost <wink>)

Regarding the comment about the Journey being high enough, is that in reference to a Journey sectional at 39" The H&M site indicates 43½" on the Journey Lounger and 41" on the Austin High-Backs. I thought it would be best to keep the back height 40+" so now I'm curious if losing that additional 1" on the Journey sectional makes that big of a difference...I understand this is subjective

* That's a radius curve on the Austin High Back Sectional Quarter Round. So how far away from the wall corner would the back of the quarter round be? 6" or so? And the Journey sectional is also a radius curve? As noted by the "Q" in the item #?

* No Tilt Back Mod possible, for sure. (I called and asked the custom dept) Thanks for making the call, I'm certain you have a lot more important things to do than to make silly alteration calls to CS. I guess I just need to start calling around to out-of-area H&M retailers to see if anyone has a sectional on the floor and drive up to sit. Unfortunately, with the impending Holiday Season and DH performing our work at Food plants (plants need to be down for us to do our work), our available time is going to be very limited.

* You can change legs, the trick is to try to pick one that's the same overall height +/- 1/4" so that you are not altering the pitch and angles of the piece (back legs won't change). Get too tall a foot/leg on there and it completely changes the way a piece can feel. Usually there is a nominal upcharge to change legs. Really?!? And here I thought I let you off the hook with my comment about not reinventing the wheel. So, are there some legs that immediately come to mind that might be a good substitution over the bun foot? I'm not asking you to go through your catalogs so don't expend a lot of time on my inquiry. By your suggestion of the 072 ottoman below (which is what I was also thinking), would the Campaign legs work on the Austin series?

* You don't want single back cushions. It completely changes the way it feels and I think it cuts the comfort level significantly. That said, if you got to have them, we can do it. Understood

* An ottoman in the 40" square range or so. You want one that's 2" lower than the seat height for max. comfort. I like the # 072 ottoman, and have it cut down an inch for 18" overall height. Do they "cut down" the height at the legs or in the body of the ottoman?

* Correct, we normally have a 5% off sale period in Feb and Aug. - that's a Keeping Room Store Sale Period. That's the only sale periods of the year. That's what I suspected. I'm hopeful to actually have the new furniture in place before the February sale period.

* Naww....so far, you're still being easy on me <G>
    Question on "build" timing as the Holidays affect H&M's schedule. Does H&M typically stop building new pieces prior to the Holidays to prevent something sitting on the bench being an incomplete mid-build during the Christmas shut-down? I'm just curious about the potential for a backlog queue and how that might affect a typical delivery schedule (which would be 8-12 weeks+, depending on cover availability, yes?)

Many, many thanks,
    Tammy

Hi Tammy,

A sectional with an ottoman is surprisingly comfortable, as good (or better) than a recliner in my book. You do have to make sure you have that appx. 2" drop on the ottoman height, however.

As to back heights, H&M has a 2" tolerance from production specs so keep that in mind on things. Back and seat pitch angles come into play as well as overall height, and the Journey is plenty tall at 39" for most folks. I'm just shy of 6' tall, and have more than enough back height on a Journey unit.

No idea of the 'gap in the back' on a sectional. I called H&M and they don't know either! They would have to put one together and measure it. Just as a guess (and its only a guess) I'd say 10" to 18". Maybe someone else here on the forum has a sectional with a curved Quarter Round and they could measure.

Best way to look at substitute legs is to browse the H&M website and pic one out that you like. I think the # 072 foot would look undersized on the Austin Sectional and out of place, but it probably would fit.

Cut downs of just 1" are just taken in the foam atop the ottoman.

H&M goes full bore in production, right up to Christmas. They clear out a LOT of pieces right before they break for a week's vakay. We're still taking orders for before-Christmas delivery right now, but that's mainly for local business. I think the time window to get something built and delivered by a white glove service is just about expired. If the cover is in stock, there' a 5 week build time (appx) and 2 to 2.5 weeks transit. So at this point, I won't promise Christmas delivery. As for shut-down time, they close for a week is all, doesn't interrupt them too much.

Glad to help!
    Duane Collie

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

Hmmm, weird, I replied last evening but I don't see it posted. I did get interrupted with surprise family-company, so maybe it timed out. I guess we'll check my elephant memory (or what I refer to as "a man's worst nightmare, an excellent memory in a woman").

Going back to my question about sectional sections...how do the sections stay together? And are they easily pulled apart when needed for adjusting, repositioning, cleaning, etc. I have to be able to get back to the floor corner on a frequent basis (don't ask, don't tell policy...I have ferrets).

Regarding final build dimensions and the 2" tolerance...if the Journey is indicated as a 39" height, does that really mean the actual built height could be anywhere from 37 - 41"? How often are they short? And I assume the sectional would be built in total at the same time so the tolerances on the individual sections would be matched through the entire piece.

Regarding the Ottoman, since the information you supplied about the ottoman height being "cut-down" from the foam/top side was based on the height of the Austin group, does this information change since I'm now looking at the 1" shorter Journey group? And do they cut down the ottoman during the build of the sectional (since I'm now over-analyzing tolerances)?

Regarding the Christmas period shut down, I'm certainly not expecting delivery by Christmas, even if one were to assume I knew which leather(s) I was choosing. I just know, in my DH and my line of work, how difficult it is to pick up where one left off after breaking for a week so I didn't know if they left items "on the bench" when they break or if they make sure all builds are completed prior to going on holiday. Just a curiosity question.

I did send you a PM last evening regarding quotes. I see it's in my "Sent Items" folder so I assume it made it to you following the recent forum upgrade. Let me know if it didn't and I'll try to push it to you.

Thanks for your patience with my near rabid obsession about pesky details.
    Tammy

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

Oh! I remember something else I'd asked in last evening's unposted reply...is the Journey Lounger ever built as a bustle back? We sat in so many styles over the weekend that they've all run together. Of the styles we had available to "sample," the Journey was DH's fav...he seems to think it was a bustle back and the pic I took has him lounging in it so I can't see the back cushions <doh!>

We're having a discussion of bustle back vs single cushion (which means Austin vs Journey). If the Journey is never built as a bustle back, then the bustle back discussion becomes a moot point and the Journey sectional becomes the front runner.

I've told him, based on my forum reading, that one can add lumbar support in the form of a pillow...he claims he doesn't like a pillow (has he tried one? No-o-o-o )

Thanks again!
    Tammy

The forum was having some time out issues yesterday around 5:30 p.m. I was trying to load some photos and gave up. I suspect it was something on the server at godaddy.com where the site is hosted.

The sectionals at H&M are held together with spring-loaded 'sawtooth' alligator clips. They're designed to snatch the unit tightly and the catch can be released for moving the pieces, but its not something you would want to do on a regular basis. Its unwieldy to access the catches though I suppose one could get good at it, they're located in the middle of each section so it involves a stretch under the piece to trip the releases. Its going to look similar to this, one piece bolted onto each section.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furniture-Connector-HF-001-.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	1868

Correct on dimensional tolerances. Being a handmade piece, its going to vary depending on how much foam/padding is put on by the craftsman. I don't usually see variances more then 1/2" day in and day out, but H&M reserves the right to have up to 2" tolerances. If you look into the fine print from upholstery makers - they all have it. What you can do however, is specify that the piece be made no less than the posted dimensions, or no larger. You can pick one or the other, but not both. Yes, a sectional is going to be even and mated - it is a Hancock and Moore, after all!

H&M can cut down almost all pieces if needed. If its not to much, they can take it from the foam, but eventually they have to modify the frame and that gets into additional customization charges.

I actually see less interruption in production of pieces over the Holidays than I would expect. What DOES get interrupted are the delivery services. That week or so off seems to bog them down and it takes them a bit to get back to normal.

I'll have your prices for you in your PM's.....

If they were to build the Journey as a Bustle Back it would become a new model and series. I've not seen one done that way or even proposed. But take a look at a 1044 Sadler, for its sort-of like a modified Journey and has that lumbar support. Oh, and guys don't use pillows behind our backs - that's a form of weakness!
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-09-2010 at 12:51 PM.
    Duane Collie

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    The forum was having some time out issues yesterday around 5:30 p.m. I was trying to load some photos and gave up. I suspect it was something on the server at godaddy.com where the site is hosted. Ah, yes...Go Daddy. We use them for our email hosting and I know of the server problems you speak (which invariably happen at the most inopportune times).

The sectionals at H&M are held together with spring-loaded 'sawtooth' alligator clips. They're designed to snatch the unit tightly and the catch can be released for moving the pieces, but its not something you would want to do on a regular basis. Its unwieldy to access the catches though I suppose one could get good at it, they're located in the middle of each section so it involves a stretch under the piece to trip the releases. Its going to look similar to this, one piece bolted onto each section.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Furniture-Connector-HF-001-.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	1868

That's an interesting creature...I imagine I could get pretty quick releasing the catches with practice. Maybe I could go up against the fellow that inserts cushions in a race, eh? Does the spring tension start relaxing with multiple openings and closings or, better yet, can one order replacements? It might not be a bad idea to have a set on hand in case of failure (we love spare parts at our house)

Correct on dimensional tolerances. Being a handmade piece, its going to vary depending on how much foam/padding is put on by the craftsman. I don't usually see variances more then 1/2" day in and day out, but H&M reserves the right to have up to 2" tolerances. If you look into the fine print from upholstery makers - they all have it. What you can do however, is specify that the piece be made no less than the posted dimensions, or no larger. You can pick one or the other, but not both. Yes, a sectional is going to be even and mated - it is a Hancock and Moore, after all!

H&M can cut down almost all pieces if needed. If its not to much, they can take it from the foam, but eventually they have to modify the frame and that gets into additional customization charges. Is the definition of "too much" determined at the time of build? IOW, when would we know if we'd be looking at a customized piece? At time of order or at time of build?

I actually see less interruption in production of pieces over the Holidays than I would expect. What DOES get interrupted are the delivery services. That week or so off seems to bog them down and it takes them a bit to get back to normal.

I'll have your prices for you in your PM's.....

If they were to build the Journey as a Bustle Back it would become a new model and series. I've not seen one done that way or even proposed. But take a look at a 1044 Sadler, for its sort-of like a modified Journey and has that lumbar support. Oh, and guys don't use pillows behind our backs - that's a form of weakness!
    ROFL!!! Seems to me you men folk seem to have a lot of perceived forms of weakness...and men claim us women are complicated?!?! Regardless, it would appear that I've "won" the bustle back argument...for now

I don't know if the springs fatigue over time, because we only put them together once, maybe twice as new furniture and generally never hear about it afterwards. But they are cheap, a cleat is only $ 4 or so.

If we're doing customs, once we have the models locked down and the specs, I call and find out charges to do so - if any.
    Duane Collie