Thread: Win a Hancock and Moore Sofa for the Holidays

Default Win a Hancock and Moore Sofa for the Holidays

Fill it out, you might win! They give away one, and even pay the shipping...

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Holiday.asp
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Win a Hancock and Moore Sofa for the Holidays

Shucks. I was hoping it would be the yellow one.

Does H&M really expect to attract new business with this leather choice on a big sofa? It seems to me to have a "fake and cheap" look. Almost like vinyl used in the 50's on dinner booths. Not my cup of tea.

Riddle Guest

I think H & M is making a big marketing mistake. I don't see the loud colors as a problem necessarily, but they are doing a terrible job at putting patterned/embossed leather on appropriate shapes. The Old Croc Peacock is dreadful when tufted! It would have worked as a flat accent on a Leighton Peacock sofa. Would I have wanted it? No, but I could have seen it as eye-catching marketing and as something that a more adventurous person might want. That Bovey is just plain awful.

The brown chair in their ad in the latest Traditional Home (?? It's in the car, and I'll to lazy to go get it to check the name.) magazine isn't representing them well either. The all-over pattern doesn't enhance the chair. Worse yet, it makes the tailoring look like a poor job.

You can see that exact sofa in my FALL 2010 MARKET Photos (I still have more to put up). Granted it was not my 'cup of tea' either, but I know why they do it and I'll try to explain it here.

At the higher levels of premium product such as H&M, its not only about the quality of the product, its about the Trend and Fashion. While this forum caters mostly to folks that want solid, good, durable furniture that lasts for years and is comfortable, there is another market segment that want's the latest 'look' and will change out their upholstery every few years to stay current. H&M is targeting that customer in their ads and latest showroom designs. Right now, bold, vibrant colors are 'the look' in spite of the fact that 80% of the leathers sales are still in a shade of brown. The new stuff is fun to look at, and is bright and exciting - even if you wouldn't own it. I have to admit that after going into the H&M showroom and then going to Bradington Youngs, the latter was boring and stagnant-looking. Kind of like going from the place that sells Ferraris and then off to the Ford Dealer.

Think of this as the equivalent of a Paris fashion show. No one hardly EVER wears the outlandish outfits than come down the runway, but everyone still wants to see new, trendy, exotic, etc.

I'm quite sure that if anyone wins that sofa, they'll be glad to cover it in Kipling Whiskey for ya.....
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-02-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.