Thread: H&M Sundance Sectional

Jwalker678 Guest

Default H&M Sundance Sectional

Would this sectional fit in my great room which is 18' x 16'? Would the love seat sectional be a better fit? Ceiling is 14'. The long section would back to a wall of windows and correspond to the 18' width, though would have to allow for hearth on one side that is 2' wide plus walking space at least on the hearth side. Is 2' feet enough walking space and should it be on both sides? The tv wall mount on the opposite wall from the window wall. If floated, how much space is needed from the window wall? Seems if went with the larger sectional wouldn't allow for any other seating.

Default Re: H&M Sundance Sectional

Its hard to say because I can't envision the room. You really should use the Icovia Room Planner which is free here to members, and lay it all out. Fairly easy to use, and you can save the file with a unique name and have myself and others look at it once you have it done. Read the thread here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...a-Room-Planner

Here's a photo of a Loveseat/Loveseat Sundance Sectional I did for a customer here in Virginia. I thought it came out very elegant and they've been very pleased with it:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...Kipling-Cognac

At 18' x 16' my guess is that the Loveseat/Loveseat unit is all you can take. 2' walk space is considered a minimum passageway, but do-able.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Jwalker678 Guest

Thanks, after reading your comments about sundance I have doubts about it's comfort for us. I am 6'1" & my wife is 5'3". Also, given the room size it might make sense to have it on the window wall and as you have pointed out the sundance is best as a floater. Our first priority is comfort.

You'd love it at 6'3", but your wife at 5'3" is going to feel like this in it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20100318__20100319_D18_AE19LILY.C~p3_300.JPG 
Views:	319 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	1853

For comfort as the # 1 priority, its going to be pretty hard to beat the Austin Sectional. It would strike a good balance, but its going to be difficult to find one that's perfectly comfortable for both of you with your height disparity. Journey would be another good choice from the H&M catalog if you don't like the bustle look of the Austin series.
    Duane Collie

Jwalker678 Guest

Not wild about the bustle look but the Austin gives a recining option that is interesting. My wife mainly use the recliner we now have. Have to figure If a recliner will fit if we go with the journey sectional. What recliner would you suggest for my 5'3" wife?

The best small recliners for ladies in my opinion are by Leathercraft:

http://leathercraft-furniture.com/in...7_07_recliner/

http://leathercraft-furniture.com/in...7_07_recliner/
    Duane Collie

Jwalker678 Guest

Thanks, both good suggestions.

Jwalker678 Guest

Considering the journey sectional because of the favorable comfort comments but it is the same depth as the sundance. Is this still a good option even for my short wife?

That's really hard to say, you'd have to try it out. At your home, some one is going to 'give' on the piece. What will feel great to you at 6' 3" is going to be way too large for her. And if you get a piece she likes at her height of 5' 3", then you're going to hate it and feel short-seated, and too low to the ground.

Once thing I've noticed over the years is that men tend to either sit bolt upright in a sofa/sectional or lay down on it. Women on the other hand, tend to pull their legs up underneath them and snuggle themselves in the corners. If this happens at your house, then you have to get the piece that fits you the best moreso than your wife as she is going to 'schooch' into the corner to get comfortable and as such overall dimensions are less critical for her.
    Duane Collie

Jwalker678 Guest

Excellent point and she prefers a recliner which we intened to retain.