Thread: Nubuck Leather and Dye Questions...

JESANN21 Guest

Default Nubuck Leather and Dye Questions...

Hi! A gentleman bartered bookkeeping services from me in exchange for his 9 year old leather sectional. Turns out that the sectional (while in great condition and in need of a good, thorough professional cleaning) is actually nubuck leather. I have never had nubuck before and my experience has been with protected leather as I have 3 children, ranging in age from 11 months to 12 years. I also tend to be more of a brown/natural color leather fan, while this sectional is a country blue color. I am curious if anyone knows if I could hire someone to successfully dye the leather to a deep brown, as well as any professional cleaning service I could hire in the Austin, Texas area.
    (I don't mind looking into DIY, but I doubt that I will be able to manage an even dye job on my own and am not confident enough in my abilities to even attempt it! But it would satisfy curiosity.) I have heard that nubuck is a monster for homes where people actually "live" in them. I hope this isn't true. While we do not eat or climb around on our living room furniture, we do kick our feet up on the coffee table and stretch out comfortably on our furniture. I can't see putting this family through an uptight regimen in a place where we're supposed to find haven and relaxation. Please advise.

Default Re: Nubuck Leather and Dye Questions...

Nubuck is suede, made from the lower split of a hide. Its not as durable or as strong as top grain leather and cannot be cleaned in the same manner as leather, mostly only brushed with a brass wire. As such its not suitable for high use, high traffic areas as it will show wear quickly. Mostly its great for decorative areas such as borders and pillows, or furniture that it lightly used such as a bedroom chair.

I would imagine it will be costly to re-dye it, though I don't have any experience in doing so. I'm surprised that someone would cover a sectional in Nubuck, considering the wear most sectionals receive. Call the folks at Leather Magic and talk to them about it, that's your best option I think. They can tell you if its feasible:

Leather Magic: 800-232-4092

Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.