Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swatches Arrived!

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

Default Swatches Arrived!

Now, on to the questions...

1. If the description on the sample indicates "does not have a protective finish," does that mean it's an aniline?

2. Regarding the rating system, can you be a little more informative about the description for "special effects" and "surface grain"?

3. I'm surprised by the amount of shine on several swatches (i.e. Lucas and Garfield). If they have no protective finish, why are they so shiny (to my eyes)?

I'm certain more questions will be on the horizon. I've now soiled my samples with a multitude of sins.

Tammy

Default Re: Swatches arrived!!

1. Yes, but every leather in the line, even 'unprotected' has a light teflon topcoat on it.

2. Special Effects is 'shading', with high/low tones, primarily done with glazing, so the hide is not monochromatic. Surface grain is 'pebbling'/

3. Its wax. Wax is not a protective finish.

- play nice with the samples - lol
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

The swatches I received were: Aspen, Atticus, Columbia, Equestrian, Garfield, Imperial Burnished, Kipling, Lucas, Ryan, Upton and Yardley...all dark brown colorways.

Soiling has been completed and, I must say, I was very pleasantly surprised at the outcome. I placed drops or dabs of the following on the swatches I received:

Diet Dr Pepper (I didn't want to open a can of DH's beer for it to go to waste <yuck> while he's out of state); olive oil, butter, ranch salad dressing, silicone-based liquid hair product, chili (the eatin' kind), vinegar, 91% isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. I let all sit for 90 minutes before cleaning the swatches with a water dampened paper towel.

There was some surface ruination of some samples with either the alcohol or the peroxide (primarily the Imperial Whiskey Burnished, Garfield and Ryan). As an added toughness test, I also placed the cherry of my cigarette <slap, slap, slap> on each sample and the only one that reacted negatively to that was the Columbia (presumably due to all the finishing work done on that particular hide), although marks were also left on the Ryan, Upton and Yardley but nothing I would call significant.

The Imperial and the Yardley showed oil-type "staining" after cleaning, but here it is some 23 hours later and the amount of "staining" they exhibit is minimal and livable.

I also scratched each sample, but I think I was a wee bit overzealous as I used the point of a knife and put some effort into it...the only samples that came out relatively unscathed were the Aspen and the Equestrian...and both of these swatches were the most heavily pebbled/grained.

So, my nerves are quite calmed by the results of the above soiling and it appears that I'm down to visual preferences as all should be able to weather the traffic in our household. If only I could get my ferrets to scratch the swatches on command (they've shown little to no interest but I know that would change once a massive piece of furniture is set up that they will then believe they need to "ferretize" <sigh>)

Happy, happy, happy me. BTW, the Yardley is speaking the loudest to me, I think it would patina very nicely. Do you have any thoughts on covering the Journey sectional with it?

I've not forgotten the ottoman, I plan to weight the hide choice for that toward DH's desires (you know how it goes, big piece=wife's choice, little piece=husband's...right?)

Tammy

PS Once I'm past making our hide choice(s), I'll try to recreate my soiling experiment with photos for the benefit of others...tick, tock, tick, tock goes the clock right now though.

I'm liking Yardley a lot for its Grade 2 price point. I don't have a lot of pieces out in that leather as it was just put into the H&M line back in June, so the jury is still out on how it performs over time, but I expect it do to well.

Some of those stains will disappear in about a weeks time, too!
    Duane Collie

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

Regarding the swatches, the Yardley sample is one of the thicker/stiffer ones compared to, say, Kipling. How representative of suppleness would you gauge the swatches to be? I'm thinking of the modest curve of the top of the Journey arms (as you pointed out in http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ipling-Whiskey) and excessive wrinkling (from an appearance, and possible wear, standpoint).

Does heavier cover wrinkling promote heavier wear on a heavily touched surface?

Tammy

Yes, pretty much. I expect the Yardley to look very much like the Kipling atop the Journey arms (and you did not like that look very much). Wear would not be an issue, just keep the leather clean and conditioned, as usual.

Now here's a fast pitch curve ball for you. You *could* do the entire sofa in Yardley and just the 'arm cushion pillows' in another leather. Do a contrasting color in Antelope, which is much more flexible and supple, yet fully protected. Upcharge for just the arms wouldn't be very much (Antelope is a GR4) but you'd have to pick a color that contrasts with it - AND like that look. I'm all about funky on leather sofas, so I'd do exactly that - but its not for everyone.

You have Yardley Cognac as your main leather, what do you think about doing the arms in Antelope Saddle and then getting a pair of pillows in Antelope Saddle to tie it all in?

It would look something like this (I think you would need the pillows in the contrast leather to make it work). My Photoshop skills are marginal at best:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1724_JourneyMod.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	1901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Compare.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	1900
    Last edited by drcollie; 11-24-2010 at 02:04 PM.
    Duane Collie

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

Thanks for the curve ball, Duane...consider it a strike as I'm not as funky as you I guess (consider that a Midwestern mindset even if I do hail from CT), at least the combo you've shown. Your PhotoShop skills are fine...I just don't care for the warm brown body with the cool (winey) brown arms. If you're really bored at the office, shoot me some more combos (you don't need to PhotoShop them) <G> Lighter arms is even an option in my mind given the results of my swatch abuse.

You've confused me though...if the arms are done in a GR4 that doesn't increase the cost of the entire piece to GR4? Or is the increase just ottomans (presumable due to the near 50/50 use of differing hides)?

Me thinks you've gotten me confused with someone else regarding disliking the wrinkling, I don't recall having indicated I didn't like it, I'm just concerned with premature wear, which leads me back to my (unanswered) question...heavier wrinkling = heavier wear on high-touch surfaces?

Oh! If I do go with a different hide on the sectional arms, I could "match" the ottoman with a 2-tone effect too but make the top of the ottoman the same hide as the sectional arms.

Tammy

Default Re: Swatches Arrived!

When we do selected areas in something like a GR4, we get a partial price increase, the whole piece doesn't go to GR4 for such a small area. Understand! No Funky Sofas! <G>

Yes, Ottomans as usually 50/50, so at that point it does all go to the high grade.

I've had ZERO reports of wear issues on Journey arms. Actually I think wear is more an issue on very tight areas like trac-arm sofas and chairs, where the leather is pulled tight and there is little padding underneath. The most important thing to keep your leather lasting a long time is cleaning. Got to keep the hide clean and conditioned, and that's easy to put off as the pieces age.
    Duane Collie

Maxie-ann Guest

Hmmm, that sounds interesting two tone!! I'm the one worried about the wrinkling look. Took hubby shopping today, he was not too happy about it, cut into his hunting time! He was very impressed in the leather sofa's and recliner's (Strickley's). I was giving him a quick leather 101 that I learned on this site. Anyway told him he had to help decide tilt back vs recliner as he loves his recliner. He was hung up about the thickness (due to our dogs), so we are still working on this. tick tock

Leather thickness is a moot issue for most, unless you're trying to cut it with a knife. And it varies from one place to another on a hide. Longevity is all about keeping the leather clean and conditioned, and out of direct sunlight.

Hunting vs. Furniture Shopping? "Honey, whatever you want is fine".
    Duane Collie