Thread: Capri versus Antelope AND a few other questions

hmbgal1 Guest

Default Capri versus Antelope AND a few other questions

After many months of deliberation, we are narrowing down our likes/dislikes. We are going with Miller Bustleback loungers and Journey sofa (tho I have not ruled out Kodiak). Comfort is our main objective. I've got a "few" more questions:

1. Capri versus Antelope -- we like the softness (or hand) of both. Color wise, we are looking at Antelope Harness, Capri Harness, or Capri Butternut.
    1. How is durability, stain resistance, etc? We have a dog who does not get on the furniture but will lean up against it and we will drink wine/eat appetizers on it and accidents can happen.
    2. Do either have lots of mottling or color variation? Samples look fairly uniform but I've been surprised when I've seen photos on your website of other leathers. We don't mind some variation (& actually like a little) just don't want it to look too spotty.
    3. Will these leathers lay smoother on Journey sofa? Journey sofa looks really comfy but I saw photo of Journey in Kipling Whiskey and the arms were wrinkling and the pillows were not smooth.

2. Down cushions versus standard -- Down feels nice but I don't want saggy pillows. Will down look more rumpled? Is it worth the extra cost? This couch looks pretty plush already.

3. Building out back -- 22" feels a bit deep for sitting. Someone told us we could build out the back an extra inch. Is this just adding more filler or do we request they make the back an inch deeper?

Finally, since you are having a sale: Can we get price quotes for Miller lounger and both sofas in Antelope and Capri shipped to Half Moon Bay, CA?

Thanks

Default Re: Capri versus Antelope AND a few other questions

1) Capri rules over Antelope for softness, but lacks some of the protection that the latter has.

2) Antelope will shed most every spill and stain, being fully protected. Capri will shed 80% of what Antelope does, but may absorb some heavy oils and acid-based spills. Tell the dog to not drink wine when on the sofa.

3) Yes, they do. Capri in some color (such as Birch) has a lot, Antelope less so.

4) Yes. Kipling was on the one with the big wrinkles, and its a heavily waxed hide which is what makes that appear like that. Capri and Antelope are not waxed, so they will lay smoother in that area.

5) Down is all about personal preferences. Its definitely more plush and luxurious, but if you prefer a firm sit, you would not want to order it. It won't look more rumpled, but may increase the leather puddling by a small amount over standards.

6) Sure, you can have an inch added to the back foam if you like. I'd not do it though, unless you are short in stature!

Prices via PM....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

aluebcke Guest

Hi Duane,
    Still reading posts while we decide on the leather for our sofas and chair....leaning heavily toward the Garfield Fawn.

You note above that the Kipling has big wrinkles, since it is a heavily waxed hide. Garfield also has wax injected in it....will it look wrinkled on the Sundance sofas? We're going with standard cores, but do you think the Garfield will look wrinkled on the cushions?

Thanks!

All leather is going to show some 'puddling' as we call it, or a 'relaxed' look as it ages. H&M uses only Grade A Steer Hides which stretch far less than cowhide, but you can still get some of that. I don't find Garfield to be particularly fussy as a leather, but it is one of the hides that varies hugely in color and sheen from batch to batch. Moreso than most the other leathers. If color is critical, then Garfield is one that's good to get a CFA on, even if it slows your order time down a little.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.