Thread: Sofa & ottoman hide choices

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

Default Sofa & ottoman hide choices

Any comments on a Journey sectional in Yardley Cognac w/a Campaign ottoman in Imperial Whiskey Burnished? I would think the burnished hide would be interesting on a tufted ottoman considering the burnishing is performed after the piece is built.

Tammy

Default Re: Sofa & ottoman hide choices

I like the combo. I'm all about mixing it up a little. Burnished hides look their best on tufted pieces iMHO.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

Now if I lived about 1,000 miles closer to you, I'd seriously consider a 2-tone piece but I'm very mindful of not abusing a retailer's knowledge, time and tools when I know in advance that that's not where I'm going to make my buy. I've been in business too many years and have been on the losing end of customers using me as a free consultant then going down the street to make the buy for, what, $5.00 cheaper <gr-r-r-r> Even before being in business I found that to be untenable.

If only I could come play with all your leathers...<sigh>

Tammy

PS I do sincerely, earnestly, and genuinely appreciate not only your input and direction but the forthright manner in which you provide it, Duane. I admire how you conduct business.

Time to go dream of leather...and impatiently await DH's return home Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Us+2 ferts&theDog View Post
    Now if I lived about 1,000 miles closer to you, I'd seriously consider a 2-tone piece but I'm very mindful of not abusing a retailer's knowledge, time and tools when I know in advance that that's not where I'm going to make my buy. I've been in business too many years and have been on the losing end of customers using me as a free consultant then going down the street to make the buy for, what, $5.00 cheaper <gr-r-r-r> Even before being in business I found that to be untenable..
    Ah! The stories I could tell! But at the end of the day you never start down the path of doing a public forum such as this if I didn't expect users and guests here to shop for their items somewhere else. I believe everyone should buy from the dealer that EARNS their business and they are most comfortable spending their hard-earned dollars with. Its up to everyone to decide who earns that business for them. Forums are for information, and I'm happy to answer questions to the best of my ability on topics, as our industry doesn't always do a good job educating folks, and an educated consumer is a smart shopper. I had always hoped that others in the trade would join the forum and also share, but for the most part they don't want to spend the time when its not directly related to a sale. Jeff from Simplicity Sofas is the exception, he's been one of the regular trade contributors here on the list and does so to educate rather than look directly for a sale. Thank you, Jeff!

Perhaps the only time I get irritated by that sort of thing is when a customer comes in the store and uses my time for three or four hours on a potential purchase to get educated and learn the options THEN go shopping and try to find it somewhere else for less. Its one thing to come into my store and browse samples, its another entirely to engage me for three or more hours when they clearly know they'll be shopping somewhere else. There was one lady local to my store that did that to me constantly, then once she had everything written down and fully spec'd she would go home and call my suppliers or cabinetmakers and ask them to sell direct to her at a cheaper price. Good suppliers will never do that, but instead call me and tell me what's going on. She did that four or five times on different items and soon I was on to her game. Then one day called one of my cabinetmakers and told him she wanted to buy direct because she was planning on opening her own store and wanted a dealer account in the area because she felt I was not representing the makers products well in my store. DA NERVE! After that, the next time she came in the store I told her she was no longer allowed on the premises and would be trespassing if she ever came in again. And she was ....... SHOCKED - but she made a pretty quick exit and I haven't seen her since.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

And here I am...like a beached whale...wishing I had an ultradown cushion on which to sink my turkey bloated carcass upon <sigh>

Tammy