Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sofa recliner

Maxie-ann Guest

Smile Sofa recliner

Hi Duane,
    Just read some mix things about sofa recliners, would like your take on the H & M sofa's that fully recline. I would think that they are just as well built as the sofa's etc are. Do they have many problems with them?? Is this something to be concerned about?
    thanks for your feedback
    Maxie-ann

Default Re: Sofa recliner

I have to say I'm not crazy about them. I have one in my basement media room (Bradington Young) that's about 10 years old now. I would not buy one again for the following reasons:

1) Lots of moving parts. Kids get to horsing around on the sofa and sooner or later a finger gets caught hard in the mechanism of one end. Lots of blood and stitches at the ER. Been there, done that.

2) Accelerated wear. The recliner end (usually just one end ) gets used FAR more often than the rest of the piece. Looks odd to see the end worn and the non-motion piece of the sofa like new.

3) Ugly from the back. Two "L" cuts on the back on all Full Recliner Sofas, regardless of maker. Incliner sofas won't do that, but their range of motion is much less.

4) Giving up the 8-way deck. All recliners, no matter who makes them, have a drop in grid spring which is OK, but its not an 8-Way hand-tied deck.

5) No one wants to sit in the sofa where theres no motion.

6) Mechanism can break over time, about $ 125 for the part if not under warranty.

I prefer a stationary sofa with a nice big ottoman that can be pushed up to the sofa. Now you have something every bit as comfy, but with none of the negatives.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Brenda O Guest

Duane, has your opinion on this issue changed at all with the new offerings for 2011/2012?

I have to tell you, I'm not a huge fan of these but the new Bradington Young ones at market might change my opinion of them. They were motorized and very nicely done. Of course, I didn't take any photos of them and they are not yet on the website.....let me see if can rustle up some information on them and post it here.
    Duane Collie

dejahu Guest

Old thread bump, but was the sofa recliner you were referring to the Reid 912, Duane? Springs are still not 8-way decks?

No motion furniture from any maker will have an 8-way hand-tied spring deck. Those can only be used in stationary pieces.
    Duane Collie

jimmyj Guest

Could we bring this post alive? I'm considering a leather reclining sofa and came on to research your thoughts and recommendations. Duane, what's the outcome w/B-Y and other brands @ this time?. I see the downsides posted here, but a reclining sofa sure would be a nice option to consider. I would especially like to hear brand suggestions if these are in your favor now.

Of the brands I sell, Bradington Young and Hancock and Moore both feature power recline sofas.
    Duane Collie

Moonbat Guest

Greetings. My husband and I are also looking to purchase a Hancock and Moore power recline sofa and have found much useful information on your forum. Thank you. This would be our first Hancock and Moore purchase and were quite surprised to read above that the eight-way tied coil springs were not part of the build. Our dealer insists they are. Our dealer also says we don't want unprotected leather, but the information from your site suggests that we really do. Well, now..there's a pickle. So I called Hancock and Moore this morning and spoke with a lovely woman named Brenda. Brenda assured me that all Hancock and Moore pieces, including power reclining sofas have the eight way tied coil springs. Splendid! I just wanted to share that little bit of updated info with you and the other reclining sofa shoppers.

I initially ordered a Stickley motion recliner sofa. The saleslady boasted that it had 8 way hand tied springs. After ordering, I went to the Stickley catalog and it very clearly stated that their motion recliners do not have 8 way hand tied springs. The saleswomen was shocked. I cancelled the order and ordered a regular sofa. I'm sure Duane is right. Go to the H&M catalog. I'm sure you will find they do not.