Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Cushions

My pleasure! I just ordered a set of cores for a customer of mine who took delivery of their furniture 23 years ago today. Truly the stuff can - and will - last if you take care of it.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

bkbaer Guest

I am going to purchase a Hancock & Moore Your Way sofa. I just have to select the leather! I have seen and sat in two of the Your Way sofas. One of them was done in Angelo Graphite and the other in Piazza Tobacco. Because I like to see what I am getting, my first choice was to select one of these leathers for my sofa. But unfortunately, I could not find the color that I am looking for in either Angelo or Piazza. I did find colors in Kip, Gunner, Dream and Document. But I am struggling to visualize how these will be different in look/feel from Angelo or Piazza. Do you have any insight on these styles? Also, although the store indicated that both of these sofas had the ultra down seat and back, the one with Piazza was super firm, whereas the one in Angelo was super squishy. They are going to check their records to confirm the information is correct, but can I assume that the difference between Angelo and Piazza is not the cause? After reading your posts about the ultra down vs standard, I'm leaning towards standard but possibly changing the 1/2" wrap to the 3/4" extra wrap. And I'm not sure if it makes sense to also ask for the back cushions to be extra full. I don't prefer sloppy/saggy, but I want it comfortable Thank you for your help!

All the leathers that you are looking at are finished (painted) hides that come out of Chinese tanneries, so they will pretty much all perform the same, the only differences will be the ones you can see such as sheen, coloration, and hand (texture/softness) of the hide. My personal favorite of those you list is the Angelo, as I think it's richer looking and I like the matte sheen on it. However, I'm a pure aniline guy and rarely buy finished leathers for my own use.

Standard cores across the line are 18oz Dupont Qualux Poly-Dacron, if one is softer than it could be Ultra Down. There is a variance from frame to frame due to spring up rates, however the cores don't change, and those two leathers would not affect it.

I've never heard of changing the "wrap" from 1/2" to "3/4", that may be terminology I don't used in conversations with Hancock and Moore. Only you can determine what is comfortable. Good luck!
    Duane Collie

bkbaer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I've never heard of changing the "wrap" from 1/2" to "3/4", that may be terminology I don't used in conversations with Hancock and Moore. Only you can determine what is comfortable. Good luck!
    I read about it on this thread, but I may not have used the correct terminology. Here's what it said: "If you want more fullness (crown) in a cushion, that is extra-full and again at no up charge. Standard cushion wrap is done of 1/2" specialty fiber and they will wrap it with 3/4" instead."

Does this make sense?

Yes, we use the term's "extra firm" and "extra full" if customers want more seat firmness or more crown. I do caution people against doing both, however. My experience is that some folks are overly focused on leather puddling, and if you get too much crown and too much firm in the seat, you won't like the way it sits. You should go one or the other, but not both (that's my recommendation, anyway)
    Duane Collie

New at the store - just installed today.

I requested Hancock and Moore make up a set of extra casings/cushions to fit a 9840 City sofa and am going to use as a demonstrator in the store. Now you can come in and try one seat with standard cores, one seat with Ultra Down seat and back, and one seat with Q21 Extra Firm Seat and Extra Full back. I don't think any other dealer in the country has this available to try out - so no more guessing, now you can actually see how they feel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city cushions.jpg 
Views:	851 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	9971
    Duane Collie

That was a great idea ! Your customers will love it.

I am looking to purchase an Austin sectional but not in leather but with fabric upholstery. Getting confused with all the cushion choices. Is the ultra down an option with choosing fabric or should I consider spring down or standard?
    Will there be puddling with fabric on the upgrade options? I also like that with fabric I can flip my seat cushions, so is this only possible with the standard cores? The only choice I got to test was the ultra down on a leather sofa. I did find it quite nice. Any input into what would work best for me with fabric upholstery would be appreciated.
    One other concern, is that we like to lie across our sofa, so would the extra full cushions be uncomfortable to lie across?

Fabric pieces from H&M come with Spring Down marshall units as standard, and I would stay with them exactly as they are. They are perfect. You can get into specialty cushions but its rarely done in fabric and I have no experience with them. I have never had the first customer change cores in an H&M fabric piece. The core construction for leather pieces is entirely different and does not cross over to the fabric ones.
    Duane Collie

pucks104 Guest

I know this is an old thread about cushion inserts, however, I am interested in replacing the inserts I the seat cushions of our Arrington sofa. What is the best way to do that? Should I contact the factory or the store I purchased my sofa from?