Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Standard H&M core is 1.8 density (18oz) of Dupont Qualux HR Foam, best in the industry.

Bradington Young uses a Spring Down core in most of their pieces, the HR Foam will have a surcharge. No idea what Stickley uses.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hello. I'm new to this forum. We have a H&M Leather couch (model 9503) from 1999 that needs cushion replacement in the seats (3 of them). The couch seats contain ultra-down feathers, batting, and cushion. My wife is looking to replace the seat inner cushion parts. Appreciate any assistance you can provide on best way to do that. Thank you, Ken

If you are the original owner, then new seats cores are available to you free of charge. Contact your selling dealer to order them for you. If your selling dealer is no longer in business contact Hancock and Moore directly and as long as you can show them a receipt that you are the original purchaser they will be glad to take care of you.
    Duane Collie

Thank you for the quick reply. The couch is 21 years old and the original dealer is out of business so I reached out to H&M directly. They are replacing all of the cushions free of charge and we should receive them in approximately 3 weeks. Thank you for this topic/article as it really helped us out.

Glad to. H&M is a classy company that likes to take care of its customers.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Fabric pieces from H&M come with Spring Down marshall units as standard, and I would stay with them exactly as they are. They are perfect. You can get into specialty cushions but its rarely done in fabric and I have no experience with them. I have never had the first customer change cores in an H&M fabric piece. The core construction for leather pieces is entirely different and does not cross over to the fabric ones.
    My wife and I got a quote today from a local store for a pair of H&M recliners in fabric with ultra down cushions. The store only had a leather floor model with the ultra down cushions and it felt great. But your comment makes me wonder if the ultra down is available with fabric or even if it is whether it is a good choice. Can you compare the Spring Down marshall cushions to the ultra down and the Dupont Quaalex foam core cushions?
    I know it's hard to compare comfort but even a general description would help

btw we like the look of leather but we have a couple of cats that like to use their claws to climb into our current recliners and we think a tight weave fabric will hold up better than leather.
    I don't know if you have any advice related to cats and upholstered furniture but we would be glad to listen to any and all opinions.

Thanks,
    Vance

Yes, you can get Ultra Down in any recliner. My own personal choice would be a marshall unit spring down when used in fabric applications, however. There is not really any data on this, its just what feels the best to someone, it's very subjective. Differences are small, not major.

Fabric recliners typically wear quickly if used on a regular basis, expect to pay for a reupholstery project on it in about 7 years. Leather lasts 4x longer.

As to cats, I have never had a cat, so perhaps others can advise. Some customers say their cats don't bother their furniture, others say they have marks in the leather from when their cats "launch" off the furniture, I think it depends on the personality of your own pet more than anything else.
    Last edited by drcollie; 06-12-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Yes, you can get Ultra Down in any recliner. My own personal choice would be a marshall unit spring down when used in fabric applications, however. There is not really any data on this, its just what feels the best to someone, it's very subjective. Differences are small, not major.

Fabric recliners typically wear quickly if used on a regular basis, expect to pay for a reupholstery project on it in about 7 years. Leather lasts 4x longer.

As to cats, I am never had a cat, so perhaps others can advise. Some customers say their cats don't bother their furniture, others say they have marks in the leather from when their cats "launch" off the furniture, I think it depends on the personality of your own pet more than anything else.
    Thanks for the response. Your forum is a great resource!

Are some leathers less likely to show scratches?

Our two cats are older and less active. They don't "launch" much anymore. They do however pull themselves up into chairs using their claws. We would have them an alternative solution for getting them into the chairs if we go with leather. (non pet owners are probably rolling their eyes at how our lives are dictated by these two furballs).

What are your thoughts about the power options for the H&M recliners (specifically the Ghent)?
    Does the power unit operate the headrest?

Are the cushions still replaceable under the H&M customer satisfaction policy with the power option and the Marshall Spring Units?

Thanks,
    Vance

Vance,

I have two cats that are both 10 years old. They are still pretty spry and able to jump to their resting spots. I have three H&M pieces all in a different leathers. I went and looked them over for you. There are very few scratches on any of the pieces. My one cat usually likes to rest on my head rest where I'm sitting. The only one that showed any marks that might have been scratch in that spot was my office chair, that is in an aniline leather, this leather feels the firmest of the three. I cleaned it, and can't see the marks any more. So I don't think any of the marks where actually scratches, or they buffed right out.

I have a scratch on the armrest of the recliner, that is in document tobacco, I believe. That scratch just happened in the last month (I've had the chair 3 or 4 years now) and I haven't tried to clean it or anything yet to see if that would improve the scratched spot. The scratch is small and only scraped the top of the leather slightly.

Both of the armrests on the sofa have a few scratches. The sofa is the softest of the leathers (Caress Black). Again, none of the scratches actually pierced the leather and only two of the scratches are noticeable without close examination. If the sofa was positioned differently I suspect there would be less scratches, because they usually only happen when the girl is being chased by the boy and she's using the armrest as a quick jump point to get away from him. I will add, we usually leave a fleece blanket on the couch it's mostly for my wife, but I lay it out over the cushions at night because the cats like it more than the leather it seems. I hope that helps you some.

What are your thoughts about the power options for the H&M recliners (specifically the Ghent)?

Power can be nice as it allows you to stop the recliner at any point in the motion sweep, they also are much more gentle on mechanisms and we rarely have any mech problems on the motorized units because the motor is opening them gently and closing it likewise. People tend to slam the manual ones more violently and that eventually breaks the rivets, so a new mech then is in order to regain recliner function. 95% of my replacement mechs to go manual units. If using a plug-in recliner vs battery power, be sure to put a small surge protector on the outlet to protect the switch, rectifier and transformer (thos mini surge protectors are $ 8 at Wal Mart).

The Ghent series does not have an articulating headrest. If you want that, then you need to get the Your Way Motion version.

Yes, all pieces have cushion core replacements for the life of the unit to the original owner only.
    Duane Collie