Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&M 1.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	13488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&M 2.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	13489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&M 3.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	13487

I read with interest your comments about sagging seating. Photos attached.
    We have a Hancock and Moore 2038NB Austin with a sagging problem. The chair is has become very uncomfortable, and I am somewhat surprised as the chair has had limited use in the 10 years we have owned it.
    The webbing seems taunt to my untrained hand, but I did notice that there is no webbing on the back quarter of the seat. Is this normal?
    I an guessing the solution is to tear the chair apart and re-do the webbing, which would seem expensive. We have considered adding a piece of foam under the back 1/3 of the seat as an alternate solution.
    I would appreciate your comments and advice.
    Thank you.

H&M generally doesn't use webbing in their construction, its a poor suspension system. You have an 8-way Hand-Tied Spring deck and what they call a Comfort-lator back suspension in your 2038NB. But it's not your suspension, its your cushion cores - you need new ones. If you are the original owner they are free of charge to you - just contact your selling dealer and ask them to get them for you, you don't even have to pay shipping. You will need to send your dealer the serial number of the chair, which is on the H&M Deck Label on a white sticker, When the new ones arrive, just unzip the casings seat and back and replace them. Yours shows lots of use and possibly some weight? I'd request a Q21 extra firm seat and possible extra full backs as the replacements they will give you a bit more crush down resistance.

Don't mess with the suspension and don't try adding off-the-shelf foam, new cores will resolve your issues.

Good luck.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

One reason I like to make trips to the factory is because I always come away with a wealth of knowledge, which makes me seem really smart to everyone here <g>. I learn things that are not widely discussed and that the Sales Reps don't often know about.

On my most recent trip last week for example, we discussed cushion cores and I learned they made changes to them I was unaware of - and we dealers were not notified of. For years and years, the standard seat core has been a 16 oz Dupont Qualux and if you asked for Extra Firm, you were moved up to a 21 oz Dupont Qualux. They had so many people wanting extra firm, they decided to make it the new standard and this occurred last year. No wonder I have been liking the standard cushions more and not recommending firmer! So there is no need to specify the Q21 core now, its standard. The upgrade to Extra Firm is now 28 oz. and that is free of charge at time of order, just request it. I would recommend that for heavy people (over 280 lb) but otherwise think the new standard core is pretty great.

Not all cushions are created equal. On frames that have a thick seat cushion - such as the September sofa - the change to extra firm will be much more noticeable than those units with a thinner seat cushion, keep that in mind.

Finally, the new standard for the luxury seat sit is now Spring Down in all these years past it has been Ultra Down. Spring down used to not be very good for leather as the coils were designed for fabric sofas, but this past year the industry has finally developed a Spring Down core that H&M thinks is superior to Ultra Down. Bonus - causes less puddling of the leather as the return is superior to Ultra Down. They are the same price as an upgrade, so you choose (or stay with standard).
    Duane Collie

Maybe H&M does it better or maybe it just takes some getting used to, but when I first started looking for a sofa a few years ago I visited local furniture stores and they had several sofa with springs in them. I did not like the feel or the way they sat or the "spring" when I stood up from the sofa. I could feel the spring action in the seat. This is now the "luxury" standard? Less expensive brands were using them 5 years ago.

Spring down seats (aka Marshall units) have been around for decades, however its not a stagnant industry, they are constantly changing and improving them. These are new developments and the first Spring Down system that Hancock and Moore thinks works well with their pieces.
    Duane Collie

We have a 6565-3 DOYLE SOFA in Remedy Chocolate with Mahogany Distressed finish. We are trying to purchase replacement cushion covers but do not have a dealer in our area. Any advice on how we could go about getting these?

You can probably call the factory directly.

We no longer order those for clients as there is a very high dissatisfaction rate with the replacement casings, it never works out well and results in upset customers, making it an unpleasant experience for all involved.

In my opinion, it's better to have a leather repair service come to your home and fix the issues. If the piece is beyond that, replace the sofa.

Good luck.
    Last edited by drcollie; 03-07-2022 at 12:08 PM.
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    You can probably call the factory directly.

We no longer order those for clients as there is a very high dissatisfaction rate with the replacement casings, it never works out well and results in upset customers, making it an unpleasant experience for all involved.

In my opinion, it's better to have a leather repair service come to your home and fix the issues. If the piece is beyond that, replace the sofa.

Good luck.
    Duane,

My mother has a Century (LTD 7600-3C) sofa that she purchased in 2018. The fabric is Krypton (supplied by Century). There are 2 issues:

1. There is a small area on the side of 1 of the cushions that has worn away. It's not a hole yet but it probably will be soon (no idea how that could have happened).
    2. A couple of the cushion covers now have creases in them. The cushions are rotated and flipped every month or so.

I have attached pics of both.

Would you recommend replacing the cushion covers (if that's even an option) or repairing them? And do you recommend contacting the Century dealer where it was purchased or Century directly? Or should I skip contacting either and just bring them to a local upholstery repair shop?

Thanks, Duane. And good luck finding a new delivery team.

Name:	Sofa1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	14406

Name:	Sofa2.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	14407

I would not worry about that, quite honestly. The wrinkles / creases are just normal stretch. The worn area on the side is from friction, and probably not visible. If indeed it is not visible, simply put a patch on that area, either iron-on or sew one on there. You do have armcaps - if you wanted to, you could use the material from the armcaps to replace that panel with the wear in it, that's another option for you.
    Duane Collie

Duane,

You are correct - the small area that's worn is on the side of the cushion and is not visible. My concern was that it would become a hole and then possibly expand, but that doesn't sound like something I should be worried about based on your response.

Thank you as always for your valuable feedback.