Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Hybrid View

Default Hancock & Moore Cushions

Shown here are the two most popular cushion cores, the standard Dupont Quaalex foam core that comes on most leather pieces and the optional Ultra Down cushion available as an extra cost option.

The Ultra Down as you can see is a layer of down and feathers encased in a ticking and placed over a foam core on one side only.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultradown 003.JPG 
Views:	2670 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	1941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultradown 004.JPG 
Views:	2740 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	1942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ultradown 001.JPG 
Views:	2759 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	1943
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Us+2 ferts&theDog Guest

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Thanks for adding these photos, Duane...now I know what to expect in our Journey sectional! Is it done yet? <chortle, chortle>

Tammy

Here's an update to the "cushion" story at Hancock and Moore. I spent a lot of time talking cushion cores with Jimmy Moore last Thursday at the factory, as I was getting conflicting information from different people at H&M so I wanted to get a firm understanding of it all from The Man who knows.

Nothing is kept in stock on cushion cores. Everything is ordered "just in time" and there are daily deliveries of cores. So if you place an order for a piece and then 10 or 14 days later decide to change cores, then they have to stop production and order new ones, which will delay your build until they are made. The cushion core maker builds them to order as well, and does not keep them in stock.

The standard core in leather is Dupont Qualux, as you probably already knew. It's a specialty poly/ dac core designed for durability and consistency. There are additional cost cushion upgrades available which are described elsewhere on the forum.

The density of the foam is 16 oz., then 21 oz, 28 oz, 36 oz, 44 oz and so on up to 90 oz.

The standard seat core is 16 oz and the back cores will vary depending on the style and form of the piece. Loose cushion pieces will be 16 oz or 21 oz, and tight backs covered with 28 oz foam. A button- tufted tight top ottoman will have 44 oz under the leather.

When you ask for extra firm cores you are going to get 21 oz in the seat and one step up in the back (if desired). If you want extra/extra firm then you will get the 28 oz. They will make it the way you want it, but take it easy because otherwise your new piece will feel as hard as a park bench, and you don't want that.

If you want more fullness (crown) in a cushion, that is extra-full and again at no up charge. Standard cushion wrap is done of 1/2" specialty fiber and they will wrap it with 3/4" instead.

H&M is unique in that they will furnish the original purchaser with free cushion cores as long as they own the piece should the original ones compress and fail. Simply unzip the casing, throw the old ones away and replace with new. You don't even have to pay shipping. However, they will only replace in kind to the original order, so if you ordered extra firm (21 oz) and decide they are too firm and you want standard 16 oz cores, they will not replace those free of charge in most cases.

While on the subject of cushions, most people attribute a sagging seating area to poor cushion cores. However, what
    has most likely failed is not the cores, but the webbing has lost it it's tautness and gone soft, either due to inferior webbing material or the frame no longer hold the webbing tight. If the webbing is not tight, the springs no longer have a firm base of support and the seating area sags. A strong frame and drum tight webbing is the key to longevity on an 8 way hand tied piece. Those features cost more and unfortunately you can't see inside the pieces but have to rely on your dealer to know.
    Duane Collie

Steve3702 Guest

Hi Duane,

Curious: if a customer orders a seat cushion as "extra firm," will it be a density of 21 oz. in the same Qualux material, or is all Qualux of the same density? Or does an "extra firm" order completely change the materials used for the insert?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Steve3702; 03-27-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Duane, do you think H&M will replace cushions for chairs that I bought in 1995? At the time I had no idea who Hancock & Moore was, and I forgot until just now about their generous policy. They may not even make them any more.

Sanibelle Guest

I am wondering if H&M still has the policy of not keeping cushion cores in stock? We want to buy two matching leather sofas and found two different colored H&M Austin (lowback) sofas on the floor at a local store. The Cavalier Oxblood was extremely comfortable but the Document Chestnut was much less so. The rep relayed to the store that the reason for the two different feels could be that H&M changed suppliers for the cushion materials (the store had sent pictures of the cushion core tags/labels) and the red sofa was the previous supplier's cushion material whereas the brown sofa was the new supplier's. The rep said that H&M still had some of the previous supplier's cushions in stock and we could order our sofas specifying that we wanted them to be made with those "old" (previous supplier's) cushions. Any information you can give me about this will be greatly appreciated. I have been shopping and researching since last September and would like to find my sofas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&M 1.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	13488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&M 2.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	13489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&M 3.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	13487

I read with interest your comments about sagging seating. Photos attached.
    We have a Hancock and Moore 2038NB Austin with a sagging problem. The chair is has become very uncomfortable, and I am somewhat surprised as the chair has had limited use in the 10 years we have owned it.
    The webbing seems taunt to my untrained hand, but I did notice that there is no webbing on the back quarter of the seat. Is this normal?
    I an guessing the solution is to tear the chair apart and re-do the webbing, which would seem expensive. We have considered adding a piece of foam under the back 1/3 of the seat as an alternate solution.
    I would appreciate your comments and advice.
    Thank you.

From the H&M Catalog, describing the various cushion options.

Name:  Cushions0002.jpg
Views: 14156
Size:  159.8 KB
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

I notice when looking at market photos most pieces are equipped with "ultra down", is this because it gives the best impression of instant comfort?

Have you ever had any memory foam pieces run across your store?

I am pretty happy with the standards. They are a tad on the stiff side(and I mean barely) "right now" but I think they should be perfect once broken in.

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post

Name:  Cushions0002.jpg
Views: 14156
Size:  159.8 KB
    From what I can make of the BACK cushions offered in Hancock Moore on this picture you attached, there are only three options. Fiber plush back cushions, premium white goose feather and down cushions, and ultra down back cushions. Which one is considered standard, not by what normally comes on floor models, but rather standard as in Qualux foam or are none of those three considered that? I've never seen a model with fiber plush back cushions so is that something that is extra?

Also, which is firmer of the three offered? I'm assuming that the premium white goose feather/down cushions would be the softest/cushiest of the three followed by ultra down and then the fiber plush back? I don't want a super cushy back that I'm literally falling into without much support, but don't want it hard as a brick either. Are standard seat cushions the same as standard back cushions (meaning the same material used)? I guess I want something in the middle, not too cushy and not too firm, which of those three is what I'm looking for? I don't know why this is confusing me so much, LOL. I'm close to making a decision, just want to understand the back cushion part before we make our final decision.