Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Quote Originally Posted by TXCajun View Post
    Hi, Guyvoronsky.

Do you have your invoice? Typically, the invoice specifically lists all the details. Well, the invoices I have received do, but maybe not all businesses do that. Regardless, I do believe I'd hold firm and do my level best to get them to fulfill the order as you requested.

TXCajun
    I have the invoice but it just has the name of the sofa on it, no other details. 😔

Yes I do but it just has the name of the sofa, no other details on it. 😔

I’m guessing the ultra down is what they had on the sofas at the store. At the time of order, our assumption was that we were ordering/paying for down but since that’s not what was ordered I honestly don’t know if we did or not? And as I mentioned earlier, I just can’t believe what they tell us now. 😖 Especially since they’re trying to convince us that we’re better off without the down in the long run. And that down isn’t necessarily more comfortable, it’s just a perception.

As I understand the down cushion is an upcharge to the customer. Perhaps Duane can answer if H&M has a similar cushion upcharge for a dealer floor sample. If so why would they pay extra to display what they now claim is an inferior cushion?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    As I understand the down cushion is an upcharge to the customer. Perhaps Duane can answer if H&M has a similar cushion upcharge for a dealer floor sample. If so why would they pay extra to display what they now claim is an inferior cushion?

According to the manager, and I quote, “they didn’t even realize that they still had the down cushion in leather sofas on the showroom floor.” 🤷*♀️

I think you're being fed a line. Don't think that the Ultra Down is not as good - but they're just not copping responsibility for the order mistake. Whether that's on them, or on you (for not checking the receipt), that's really what you're debating.

Right now the company is backtracking in 1) fessing up if it was an ordering mistake 2) trying to denigrate a product (e.g. ultra down) so that you don't reorder and 3) now going the hey we don't even know what we have on our floor. They're clearly not going to try and take responsibility, so it's up to you to decide how to pursue.

Where you go from here kind of depends on where you are in the purchase process. If you have accepted delivery, and paid in full, your options are more limited. If you refused delivery or refused to pick it up because it is not what you ordered you have more options. Like cancelling the order and then fighting for or forfeiting your deposit. You said you didn't realize until you opened the cushions. If that is the case, did you open them when it arrived because it didn't sit right and then refuse it, or did you find out by "accident" and you didn't really notice it at first? Did you pay by credit card and can you contact the credit card company to dispute the charge because you did not receive the correct merchandise and file a complaint? Is the store a member of the BBB and could you ask them to mediate it? Are you willing to pay part of the cost of replacing them? The question really is not if one cushion or another is really any good, it is can you live with the sofa you got, and how much are you will to fight and for how long to try to change it. It might be time to ask the store in as non accusatory a way as possible, to contact H&M, explain the misunderstanding, and find out what it would take to get them replaced. Then if necessary, offer to pay half of the cost, but not until they get back to you with what it will take or I am afraid they will just double the actual cost and then ask you to pay half. Lastly, if they did not even know the display model was ultra down, then they are not invested in having ultra down on the floor, and they would presumably be fine with you just switching out the cushions for the ones in the store, if they fit. I assume also that you can, if you have not already done so, taken it up the ladder in the furniture store from salesperson to customer service to management. This seems to be more about conflict resolution than cushion quality. Any H&M cushion I believe will be high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_g View Post
    I think you're being fed a line. Don't think that the Ultra Down is not as good - but they're just not copping responsibility for the order mistake. Whether that's on them, or on you (for not checking the receipt), that's really what you're debating.

Right now the company is backtracking in 1) fessing up if it was an ordering mistake 2) trying to denigrate a product (e.g. ultra down) so that you don't reorder and 3) now going the hey we don't even know what we have on our floor. They're clearly not going to try and take responsibility, so it's up to you to decide how to pursue.
    Yes, it’s our fault for not questioning why the invoice had no details but honestly at the time we didn’t even think twice about it. New lesson learned I guess.

I just took to the internet in hopes of finding more information on the different cushions from a third party since I honestly don’t believe anything they tell us now. Because I get it, business wise it’s not in their best interest to reorder 2 sets of cushions. As for us, down cushions is what we were looking for in sofas so after spending so much money I don’t want to be disappointed 5yrs down the road that I didn’t get what I really wanted. But at the same time I wanted to make sure that maybe this order mistake isn’t actually a blessing in disguise so to speak.

Dealers get floor models with free ultra down cushions if they want. I don’t put them in all my floor models personally since I like to offer options and not every piece sits better with ultra downs. The free ultra down for dealers is a small bonus to let the dealer mark down his floor model a little.

If you want the Ultra Down seats and/or backs, they should work it out and order them for you. Had you ordered from my store, at time of order, you would have paid $ 160 for Ultra Down Seats and $ 130 for Ultra Down Backs for each sofa (they may charge more as every dealer has their own pricing structure). I think it would be reasonable for you to offer to pay that upgrade charge. The cores are more expensive to buy outright vs upgrade when the pieces are made, however they are making enough profit on the sale to easily cover the difference.

Alternatively, if you feel it was presented to you "As Shown" and no mention was made of the additional charge for Ultra Down, then an argument can be made you should not have to pay the upgrade fee.

You are not at fault. As a customer you’re not expected to know the difference, as a dealer they are. It’s on them. Don’t let them off the hook if you would like those cores. What amazed me is how any dealer would want to avoid getting you want you would like when it's so easy to rectify the issue and keep you as a satisfied customer. We all make mistakes, the key is how you take care of them after the fact.
    Last edited by drcollie; 12-06-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

On the Hancock & Moore standard 16 oz foam cushion, what density is that equal to when measured by weight? Most mfrs measure by how much a 12x12x12 block of foam weighs, I was just trying to figure out what the H&M would be comparable to. Also, how do you measure the resiliency? I read high resiliency is better but not sure how to tell which sofas have it.

No one in my area has many H&M sofas in stock, but I did find a chair with a standard cushion to sit in, and liked the feel of it better than the down. I’m also looking at Stickley and Bradington-Young sofas, and want to figure out if I could get a comparable cushion from them.