Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Cushions

I have two young cats I adopted, one is about 2-3 years old, and a kitten, just getting to her first birthday. Both use claws to pull themselves up on furniture. I have a sofa in front of a bow window with Cavalier Mocha leather. It has obvious scratches on the top back portion, not the cushions, where their claws scratched the leather. It is a "painted" leather, so the scratches are more noticeable because they scratched through the color and the un-dyed portion underneath shows. I did get a small bottle of dye from H&M to "paint" the scratches with. It is going to take a very fine brush not to mess it up. I have not tried that yet to see how much it covers them. My solution was to put a scratching post at each end of the sofa, and now they climb up the scratching post and then onto the back of the sofa, which is covered by a throw, and it really seems to be working. But now I have a leather sofa that is always covered with throws. When I purchased the sofa, I had a 20 year old cat that had to use steps to get up on the sofa and she didn't put a single scratch on it. I was not at all worried about her when I bought it. But she died and after 6 months of not having pets, I decided I didn't want to be without pets. So, no I would not recommend leather if you have cats that pull themselves up that way unless you have a solution. I might consider trying a pure aniline leather because the scratches might not be as noticeable. Or try giving them another way to get up, a post to climb or steps right next to it. Try it with the furniture you have now and see if it works.

Brian,
    We also have two cats about 10 years old. Given that your cats are known to be leather friendly I wonder if you would be open to a trade
    More seriously though, thanks for the input. Our biggest concern is about the cats using their claws to climb into the chair. I just don't know if they could sink their claws deep enough into the leather to support their weight.

This client ordered these two # 7171 Redford Recliners (with custom Sundance front legs) and requested Extra Full Back Cushions and Extra Firm Seats. Leather is Buckingham Walnut Burnished. I was a bit horrified when I unpacked these as there are noticeable gaps where the two back pillows meed that cannot be adjusted to fit better. This is due to two things 1) Buckingham Walnut is a fairly stiff leather and 2) Extra Full Backs are overfilled about 10%. Between the two, the bustle cushions cannot tuck in like they would with a standard core back in a more pliable leather. This is NOT a defect, this is what happens when you choose a stiffer hide with overfilled cores. My recommendation is to always order Ultra Down softer cores with Buckingham Walnut, and I always discourage an overfull cushion on bustle backs. Having advised her of that, she did proceed. Good news is when we delivered them today, she said they were great, just what she wanted. So if you do go this route, expect to see these gaps for a bit until they are used several months and break in.

Also note that Buckingham is a very noisy leather, the nosiest in the entire line. Sure does look good, though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-3354.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	13302
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Hello, I am new to this forum and just wanted to know which cushion options are available on Hancock & Moore's fabric sofas. I know the Spring/Down seat cushions come standard with fabric sofas, but I was curious if we have the option to go with something firmer like the Qualux or maybe the Ultra Down seat cushions when placing an order. I tried the Spring/Down seats in a Sherrill, Vanguard, and Hickory Chair's sofa and found them to be a little soft for me. They weren't necessarily uncomfortable, but I am on the heavier side and didn't like the feeling of sinking into the cushions. I haven't tried H&M's spring/down seat because I am unable to find a local dealer that has it, but I want to be safe and go with a firmer cushion option if there is one available for H&M's fabric sofa. Thanks.

Hancock and Moore uses a Marshall unit Spring / Down cushion core as standard, its a very high quality, excellent core. There are options for other cushions listed here on the forum, however I cannot recall ever substituting the Sping Down in a fabric piece, so I have no experience with alternate choices in that platform. I believe we spoke on the phone about this, if you want to experiment with firm cores, you can try a Qualux core with Q21 firmness, but its a crap shoot - I can’t tell you how that will perform. If the choice doesn’t work for you once you get it, then a different core would have a cost to replace.
    Duane Collie

Hi Duane, We are leaning toward ordering the Your Way sofa Y87 with the Lawson Arm. Our concern is about the back cushions and how to keep them looking fresh and not crumpled over the years. Obviously, unlike fabric, the back cushions cannot be flipped over. Do we just take out out the cushion cores on each end and switch them to keep the look of the sofa even and firm? Thanks!

Seat back cushion cores are Fiber Fill, and most the time you can remove them from the casing via the zippered opening, then fluff them up well (has to be out of the casing for a good fluff) and stuff them back inside, they will be good to go then. In extreme cases, you can request replacement cores for the backs which (currently) are offered at no charge to the original buyer.

You can also request them to be over-filled backs at time of order if you like, however this can also compromise comfort and result in a puffed-up look. In my experience approximately half my clients that do request overfull backs regret doing so as they don't get enough "sink' in the back to get comfortable, then have to pay for the standard back cores. Replacement cores are only done as the piece is originally ordered.
    Duane Collie

Thanks, Duane. My concern is that usually I sit on one end of the sofa and my hubby sits nearby in one of the club chairs. Besides the cat, no one else sits on the other end of the sofa. We keep our furniture for ages and I don't want uneven wear on the sofa. I thought flipping the back cushions every few months might be a good solution since that is what we do with our fabric sofa now.

Either way, I love the sofa and think it will look great in the Hyde Park Burnished Brownie you have shown in the French Curve Sofa.

In many Hancock and Moore models - about 90% of them - casings are tailored to a specific position on a sofa with edge-fitting corners and the like and cannot be swapped for another one on the piece. In premium luxury brands, this is often the case. In my experience, it takes many, many years to crush down a back, and you do get free replacements to its really not a concern at all. What is more critical is keeping your leather clean and conditioned over time.
    Duane Collie

Well that is good to know, thank you!!!