Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Damask Guest

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Cushions

I was also thinking, since both Standard and Ultra Down cores are put into the exact same casings, shouldn't the Ultra Down look actually fuller (since they have an extra layer) and stretch/ smooth the leather of the casings even nicer than the Standard cores... I know everyone says opposite, Ultra Down causes the leather to look "relaxed", "more rumpled / puddled" but why exactly...?

For those who had a chance to sit on both Standard and Ultra Down - is the difference in comfort significant or minimal? Are Standard ones much harder, both on seats and backs?

If you have Standard ones, how long did it take to break them in? Once broken in, they stay at the same "hardness level"?

Also, when shopping for a fabric sofa a while ago, I noticed that when I sat on a cushion, the sides would often rise quite a bit creating open space between seat cushions. Would this effect be more probable with Standard or Ultra Down cores on a leather sofa, or I shouldn't worry about it with H&M leather piece?

I have to decide on the cores for our Sundance this week and I still have no idea what to do...

crunchysue Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Damask View Post
    Crunchysue, may I ask which cushions you have on your Lynne sofa? Standard?
    I know DH will not sit on the middle one, he never does... I guess I'll have to do it... a lot LOL

Duane, Will the difference - between cushions used more often and the ones not - be more noticeable with Standard cores or Ultra Down cores or the same?
    I have regular cushions - here's the link to the thread about my sofa: http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...uron-Butternut.

I think the regular cushions are great and I would not characterize them as "hard" at all; they're perfect. Although I've never sat on the down cushions, it seems to me like they'd be too squishy. Hope that helps!

BevoGal Guest

I agree - I like my standard core cushions in the Sundance. I think the seat would seem deeper if the back cushions were down, but the idea of puddling over time was not appealing. My toss pillows are down and give us a little squishy comfort as needed

Damask Guest

Thank you crunchysue! I sat on the Ultra Down, and they were really super comfy... But I've never sat on the Standard ones, so have no idea if the difference in comfort is really that significant... And I have hard time accepting the fact that the fuller Down cores cause the "puddled effect" and Standard cores don't (since the casings are exactly the same)... I'm getting to the point where I just want to flip a coin and be done with it LOL

Damask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BevoGal View Post
    I agree - I like my standard core cushions in the Sundance. I think the seat would seem deeper if the back cushions were down, but the idea of puddling over time was not appealing. My toss pillows are down and give us a little squishy comfort as needed
    That makes me think twice about Down cores again actually... DH is 6'2" and was comfortable on the Down cores we sat on. Well, not super comfortable, but comfortable enough to say OK... But I think any inch less and I'm in trouble once the sofas arrive...

Duane, what do you think? Do Down cores in the back cushions make the seat seem deeper on the Sundance?

Ultra Down is simply a HR Foam cushion (standard) where the top 1.5" or so have been shaved off the top and replaced with an insert of down and goose feathers.....so you still have a foam core at the center of things. You can see a photo here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...Moore-Cushions

Your cushion choice will also be a function of the leather you select. A leather like Capri for example is very supple, and very soft and pliable. It moves and flexes a lot more than a burnished leather or one like Stampede Harness - that are crispy and firmer. I order Ultra Downs for my Hand Antiqued Sunset Burnished chairs I have at home but not for my chair in Quintessence - as the leather is like Capri. its really just a matter of preference - puddling never concerns me at all because a quick fluff takes care of it in most cases. However if you do not like that, then stay standard cores and even consider going to extra firm (21 oz density) which will minimize that. Ultra Down in the back of a Sundance will make it seem a little deeper, and sloppier looking than standards.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Damask Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Ultra Down is simply a HR Foam cushion (standard) where the top 1.5" or so have been shaved off the top and replaced with an insert of down and goose feathers.....so you still have a foam core at the center of things. You can see a photo here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...Moore-Cushions

Your cushion choice will also be a function of the leather you select. A leather like Capri for example is very supple, and very soft and pliable. It moves and flexes a lot more than a burnished leather or one like Stampede Harness - that are crispy and firmer. I order Ultra Downs for my Hand Antiqued Sunset Burnished chairs I have at home but not for my chair in Quintessence - as the leather is like Capri. its really just a matter of preference - puddling never concerns me at all because a quick fluff takes care of it in most cases. However if you do not like that, then stay standard cores and even consider going to extra firm (21 oz density) which will minimize that. Ultra Down in the back of a Sundance will make it seem a little deeper, and sloppier looking than standards.
    NOW it finally makes sense to me!!!
    Some foam is shaved off to accommodate the layer of down / feathers!
    Thanks Duane, I was losing sleep over this one.
    I have studied the photos at the beginning of this thread before I posted, and the Ultra Down looks definitely bigger / deeper than the Standard one so it didn't even occur to me that this may be the case (less foam in Ultra Down cores). It just wasn't adding up with everything else I read. Oh my, you just made my day!
    I'm going to pass this info to DH tomorrow and we'll have a decision in a jiffy (my 3.5yo son's current favorite word LOL)

Marjflowers Guest

Oh crap! I had no idea that the leather choice would be a factor in choosing the type or weight of the cushion. I sat in a recliner at the factory that had the standard 16 oz. Honestly, the only thing I remember noticing about the leather was the gorgeous color. I originally ordered the Caress Red, but then I changed to the Capri Claret. When I made that change, should I have changed to a different cushion??? The puddling thing is something of an issue for me -- I have a preference for clean, tight lines. In fact, if I could have had anything at all different (well, maybe shout of world peace!), it would have been for the Harbison lounger to have a tight back rather than semi-attached. Just a personal preference, not a huge deal. But if the Capri leather causes it to be looser (which makes sense to me now that I read your last post), I'm afraid I'm not going to be quite so thrilled.

Groan......after all the agonizing over all the choices and being afraid of making rookie mistakes, once I decided to go with the Capri, which is really what I wanted all along, I have not had the first "Oh crap!" moment, and it's been close to Nirvana! But here I go again! I hope you can reassure me, and put me out of my misery!

This whole experience has been a new world for me. So many choices, and so much you need to understand before making those choices. The idea that both you and H&M are so committed to having the customer have exactly what she wants, exactly the way she wants it, and the lengths that you and H&M are willing to go to make that happen have been both novel and very exciting. And surprisingly stressful at times -- despite it being the best consumer experience I can possibly imagine! But I must confess I've had my personal meltdown moments where I've almost longed for the bad old days where you went to the only furniture store in town, and if you didn't see what you liked, then, by God, you learned to like what you saw, or you did without, and that was that! Life was simpler that way. Not better by any stretch, but assuredly simpler. I'm having one of those moments now!

I hope changing to the Capri doesn't mean I should have changed the cushions as well. I hope you'll be able to reassure me. But I know you'll tell me what I NEED to know, rather than what I WANT to know, and how to proceed. And I believe I'll get the best answer that will serve my interest both now and five years from now.

Duane, while I'm guessing every customer you deal with is as difficult as me, I hope you don't have too many like me at any given time. If you do, then you have my condolences! You seem to roll with it -- and from your picture, it doesn't appear that you have pulled all your hair out!

Seriously, I'm so appreciative of your patience and good humor in working with me. You go above and beyond!

And while this purchase is for me a huge deal, whatever I hear from you, I'll try hard to put things in the proper perspective. Yeah, it's an expensive recliner, and one that I expect to use for a very long time. But in the grand scheme of things, it almost borders on trivial. One only has to read a newspaper to be reminded of that. Perspective is everything -- the news of the nearly 300 girls kidnapped in Nigeria has driven that point home for me. I think this is a lesson that applies not only to buying furniture, but to most everything else in life as well. Now all I have to do is to keep telling myself this......again and again and again!

I pretty much like standard cores in H&M recliners, I'd not change them out unless you feel you really must. Stay with it is my recommendation and let me know once you've had them for a bit if they are satisfactory.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

You definitely are going to have an absolutely beautiful recliner with Capri Claret and standard core cushions. We have standard core in our Royal High Leg recliner and the ultra down in our Sofa. They are different but both extremely comfortable. Don't know to what degree the Leather is actually impacting appearance, but the recliner seat never looks like anyone has been sitting in it, except for the back and head rest area. The Sofa does show which cushions have been used as favorite seating ...but we love that look as it shouts comfort.