Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Marjflowers Guest

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Thanks so much for the reassurance! And Duane, if I should discover somewhere down the line that I'm less than thrilled with the less firm cushions, and I should call you to let you know, you have my express permission to remind me that we're talking about a chair -- not world peace!

Seriously, though, on the off-chance that I later feel the firmer cushions would be a better fit for me, is there a possibility that I might be able to PURCHASE the more firm cushions from H&M?

daveh Guest

Hi Duane, new to the forum. I have a H&M 4390 Metro Sofa whose cushions are a crushed and crumpled mess. They have the standard Qualux foam contained in a breatheable fabric bag. I'm a big believer in DIY and I'd like to replace the cushions. I know that the proper measuring technique involves measuring from welt-to-welt but the welts are so worn as to be misplaced; some measurements vary by as much as 1 inch! Would you be able to provide me with a set of accurate measurements for the cores? And, would you also recommend installing dacron batting for added stabilty? My wife and I love our sofa but we also are tired of constantly slumping down on these tired old cushions. Thanks a million for any information that you can send my way......

Dave,

You don't need to do all that, if you are the original owner of the Metro sofa, then you get free cushion core replacements. Just call the dealer you purchased from and they will get those for you, and you won't even have to pay the shipping, that's all gratis at H&M.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

smccarthy@shofers Guest

Dear Duane,

As the Customer Service person for a high end furniture store that carries Hancock and Moore, I'd like to state that they have the best warranty when it comes to replacement cores but the "warranty rules" state that the manufacturer needs the Registration/ID # from the piece to request replacement cores. At our store, we sometimes are asked to provide photos because the warranty also states: The warranty does not apply to damage resulting from accidents, alteration or mis-use" .
    You'd be surprised how many end clients think that dogs eating cushion cores is not accidental or mis-use.....

P.S When you are requesting assistance from a store that you purchased a chair from 7 years ago you should be polite and not upset when a company asks for a photo or the ID #. Kind of like the drive-in window at a fast food place...Don't be insolent or rude to people that are trying to save you time and money.

There actually is not a written warranty on H&M cushion cores that I have even seen in print, unless I have missed it all these years. Its just something they do...
    Duane Collie

daveh Guest

I want to thank Duane, Hancock & Moore and Susan from Shofer's for facilitating the replacement of my cushions. After installation, the sofa now looks as it did when it was but a young tad! Regarding Sue's post directly above, I had questioned her as to why photos were needed when as you explained it, Duane it seemed such a simple matter. I scanned the warranty statement and could not find any reference to sending photos as a justification; that's where I was coming from. I can understand Sue's point about pets eating cushion cores BUT would not the pet need to 'get past' the leather outer covering first? If so, I'm sure that would be a mess as well! All I'm saying is that I wasn't trying to bust Sue's chops, I just questioned the necessity of sending photos.
    Some indignation came on my part when, after I sent the initial email, I hadn't heard anything for a week whereupon I called the store and was asked to resend the information. That was a week wasted. I actually resent my information two times after which It was confirmed that it was received. The bottom line is that H&M stood by their word, I received my cushions and am a happy camper.....thanks again Duane, H&M and Sue.

H&M will replace cushion cores, both seats and backs, for the original customer (doesn't apply if you buy it used or off Craigslist, etc) as often as you need them for as long as you own the furniture. No return of the old ones is necessary nor are photos. All it takes is a simple email from the dealer to request them and they show up at your door about 3 weeks later (they are custom made for each piece, and not kept in stock). Glad to help!
    Duane Collie

strofferazo Guest

I know you have posted so much about the different cushions on the H&M sofas but I don't find any references (by anyone) to the spring/down cushions. Do they sit like the Qualux standard cushions? I tried out a Sundance sofa in a local store and they are telling me it has the spring/down cushions (but they don't seem to be real sure about that so I am not 100% sure they are telling me the truth), and since I absolutely LOVE the way that sofa felt, I would want to order it with the same cushions! The salesman told me the spring/down cushions are the most durable and also basically maintenance free (don't need fluffing, etc.). What is your opinion of the spring/down cushions please? Thank you!

I've never sold a leather piece with spring-down cushion cores in it, and I've sold thousands! Generally that is a cushion that is put into fabric upholstery as a premium core, they dent to not have enough 'bounce-back' in leather casings. What is sold most frequently in leather as an upgraded core is called an Ultra Down core (in H&M lingo). This is a foam based center with a layer of down and feathers on the top 15% or so of the cushion. I would imaging that was what you were sitting on when you tried the Sundance. Ultra downs will be more plush, but not spring back as fully as the standard Qualux foam core so they will give the piece a more relaxed look over time with some puddling of the leather as it wears in.
    Duane Collie

strofferazo Guest

I double checked, and the retailer insists that the Sundance sofa on their floor has the springdown cushions, so that is what I ordered too. I even went so far as to call H&M directly, and spoke to a very nice lady who gave me all sorts of info on their cushions, and she also said that normally the springdown cushions are used more in their fabric sofas, but not as much in the leather sofas. She also mentioned the springdown cushion will have a higher crown (which I like). So, springdown it is for me!