Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Steve3702 Guest

Default Re: Hancock & Moore Cushions

Hi Duane,

Curious: if a customer orders a seat cushion as "extra firm," will it be a density of 21 oz. in the same Qualux material, or is all Qualux of the same density? Or does an "extra firm" order completely change the materials used for the insert?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Steve3702; 03-27-2015 at 02:13 PM.

An excellent question.

The standard seat core density on Hancock & Moore is 16 oz Qualux in leather covers. By ordering extra firm it goes to 21 oz. You can even step up beyond that in density if you like, though I don't recommend it as the cushion can get too firm.

Now on the backs of pieces, Fiber Filled is standard on all pieces. When someone wants a somewhat firmer back on a loose cushion we order them 'extra full'. A Qualex core is an optional extra cost feature for back cushions but I don't recommend it. Likely it will be too firm and if you were not happy with it, you would have to buy a set of one of the other cushions i.e., fiber fill, ultra down, etc.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Therese Guest

Duane,

Thanks for the explanation. I do not like the "puddling" effect on seating, and this definitely explains the difference between standard and Ultra-Down. Myself, I like a firmer seat, because I have neck issues and have to remember to sit up straight to avoid pain. My husband likes a cushy seat, but he rarely sits anywhere but in his recliner.

You will always get some puddling on a leather seat, and from any maker. It's unavoidable because all leather stretches with use. Cowhide (female) has more elasticity than Steerhide (male), so Hancock and Moore uses only GRADE A Steer hides for all its leathers. When you see a mid-to-low level leather sofa or chair and the seat leather is so loose you can pick up a fold in your hand, that's cowhide.

Within Steerhide, you can change the cushion density to make the puddling less evident by going up in stages. For example , 18 oz is standard, 21 oz is extra firm, 24 oz is super firm, etc...all the way up to around 45 oz which is what they use in tufted top ottomans. You have to be careful though, or you'll be sitting atop a park bench if you get them too firm. I discourage anyone ordering more than a 21 oz core, I think they won't like anything firmer.

The Ultra down is the same 18 oz core as standard, but the top quarter of the core is cut away and replaced with a sleeve of down and feathers to give a plush loft. You will see more puddling as a result, but also you get a lot of sink-in comfort as well.
    Duane Collie

strofferazo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Damask View Post
    I was also thinking, since both Standard and Ultra Down cores are put into the exact same casings, shouldn't the Ultra Down look actually fuller (since they have an extra layer) and stretch/ smooth the leather of the casings even nicer than the Standard cores... I know everyone says opposite, Ultra Down causes the leather to look "relaxed", "more rumpled / puddled" but why exactly...?

For those who had a chance to sit on both Standard and Ultra Down - is the difference in comfort significant or minimal? Are Standard ones much harder, both on seats and backs?

If you have Standard ones, how long did it take to break them in? Once broken in, they stay at the same "hardness level"?

Also, when shopping for a fabric sofa a while ago, I noticed that when I sat on a cushion, the sides would often rise quite a bit creating open space between seat cushions. Would this effect be more probable with Standard or Ultra Down cores on a leather sofa, or I shouldn't worry about it with H&M leather piece?

I have to decide on the cores for our Sundance this week and I still have no idea what to do...
    I actually ordered the Sundance with the springdown cushions. That was what was on the floor sample I sat on and I liked them, so that was what I ordered. I found out later that normally they don't put the springdown cushions in the leather sofas. But I will say, they don't need to be messed with after you sit on them and if you like a firm seat cushion they fit the bill. I find them very comfortable to lie down on. When you sit on one cushion, the sides do not rise up and create open space between the cushions. If I were to order again, I would probably order the same cushion, but I like a really high crown so I would see if I could get it overfilled also.

Duane, do you think H&M will replace cushions for chairs that I bought in 1995? At the time I had no idea who Hancock & Moore was, and I forgot until just now about their generous policy. They may not even make them any more.

Two caveats to the replacement policy:

1) You have to be the original owner of the piece and have proof of purchase.

2) They still must have a pattern (and you will need the model number of the piece).

Because most people lose their receipts and/or cannot identify their model number, I recommend ALWAYS placing your original receipt (or a copy) inside the zipper of one of the cushion casings. That way you always have it.
    Duane Collie

Sanibelle Guest

I am wondering if H&M still has the policy of not keeping cushion cores in stock? We want to buy two matching leather sofas and found two different colored H&M Austin (lowback) sofas on the floor at a local store. The Cavalier Oxblood was extremely comfortable but the Document Chestnut was much less so. The rep relayed to the store that the reason for the two different feels could be that H&M changed suppliers for the cushion materials (the store had sent pictures of the cushion core tags/labels) and the red sofa was the previous supplier's cushion material whereas the brown sofa was the new supplier's. The rep said that H&M still had some of the previous supplier's cushions in stock and we could order our sofas specifying that we wanted them to be made with those "old" (previous supplier's) cushions. Any information you can give me about this will be greatly appreciated. I have been shopping and researching since last September and would like to find my sofas.

I have been to the factory many times and cushion cores are not kept in stock, they are all "Just in Time" delivery and made to order by their supplier in Virginia. They arrive on trucks weekly at the factory, they have no room in the production facility for storage of all the cushions they would need to warehouse. To the best of my knowledge they have not changed core suppliers, however there are variances in each cushion core made, and some are better than others. Also, Cavalier is a thicker and stiffer leather than Document, and that will change the sit feel as well to some degree.

The standard core is an 18 OZ Qualux Poly Dac, you can bump it to a 21 oz at time of order if you want it firmer, or even a 24 oz. If you want softer, then you go to Ultra Down cores (extra cost).
    Duane Collie

Duane, just wanted to reaffirm that Hancock & Moore is an amazing company with beautiful furniture and wonderful customer service. I spoke to a very nice customer service representative about replacing the spring down cushions in my 1995 upholstered chairs. Not only did they still have the cushions for the back and the seat, she offered to replace them free of charge if the company I bought the chairs from couldn't find my purchase in their records (because I didn't have the original invoice). Fortunately, the furniture company was able to order the cushions.

They came in two huge boxes, and I didn't pay a cent for shipping or anything else. And now my chairs look as beautiful as they did in 1995. H&M is truly special. And thanks to you, Duane, for making me aware of their replacement policy.