Thread: Struggling with sofa choice - need more info on Kodiak

hmbgal1 Guest

Default Struggling with sofa choice - need more info on Kodiak

Desparately need your help.....

We are back to square 1 on the sofa choice. We thought we were going to order the Journey but saw it Thanksgiving weekend and all of us did not like it. The pillows on the back were huge and not pretty to me nor that comfortable.

Our main criteria is a sofa that will look ok with the Miller Bustle Back recliner. Prefer seat height about 20” or so. Length can’t be more than 90” (current sofa is 86”). Comfort is important to my hubby but some aesthetics is important to me. I tend to like rolled arms as they are more comfortable to lean on and lay down on.

We are now currently looking at:

Kodiak -- Hubby thinks seat height at 21.5” is too high. When we sat in it, it feels comfortable just a BIG sofa -- my toes barely touched and I’m 5’8”. I read on the forum that the seat height can be lowered. What’s a price range for this? Have you ever done this and if so, does it look ok or does it mess with proportions?

Others we are considering are because we've sat in them:
    City 84” -- It’s ok. It feels small with a more proper sit and it is fairly plain.
    Evening -- Like looks, never sat in it. Worried about pillows staying in alignment with curve. Saw one on your site that was all messed up.
    Lawrence - comfortable but very plain and who would want to sit in middle on a two cushion sofa

Just an fyi, we have eliminated the Austin high-back and Journey.

Thanks.

Default Re: Struggling with sofa choice - need more info on Kodiak

Hmmm....

Let me recommend the # 1278 Parisian. This sofa has GREAT style, and is less 'massive' looking than the Kodiak and Journey, and not as "pillowy". I think its one of the sharpest traditional looking sofas in the line and it sits well (to me, anyways).

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...mbia-Butternut

Its roomier than the 84" City, would be as deep/plush sitting as the Evening.

Also look at the # 4487 McNary. This one gets overlooked a lot, but I think its a very nice piece that sits well.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ghlight=mcnary

Check out some of the new for 2011 H&M frames that are not yet on the H&M website. Some of the new ones will fit the bill as well like the Patagonia sofa on page 2:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...COCK-amp-MOORE

As to lower a sofa by 1", depends on the model. Some we can get done at no charge or for a very nominal amount if the height can come out of the seat cores, and others will have a custom fee.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

karlos Guest

My kodiak is great im 5-11 and wife is 5ft. I use the robinson ottoman 90% as it just feels natural. The couch is the best one I could find to buy. Now if it tilited back??? that would be The best. do they do that Duane>

Hi, hmbgal1,
    I hope that wasn't my Evening sofa you referred to as: "Evening -- Like looks, never sat in it. Worried about pillows staying in alignment with curve. Saw one on your site that was all messed up." I love my sofa. The back cushions do not shift, sag, or hold body imprints. at all. Moreover, they are velcroed in place. There are often TOO MANY choices. Many of Duane's posters have struggled to make a decision so you have LOTS of company.
    Good luck,
    Juliepooch

Quote Originally Posted by juliepooch View Post
    There are often TOO MANY choices. Many of Duane's posters have struggled to make a decision so you have LOTS of company.
    Without a doubt. I see some folks put themselves into turmoil over the choices. Funny thing is, you watch people struggle with the myriad of combinations and most the time they come back right to their initial first choice!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.