Thread: Leather sofa brands

Threaded View

elmoisfat Guest

Default Leather sofa brands

Hi guys, first post here

I live in Vancouver, Canada, and came across this forum by chance. Lots of great and helpful information here.

I understand that many people here are happy with their H&M purchases, but due to my current location, I don't have access to a large number of dealers/retailers carrying the H&M brand; in fact, only Jordan's Interior sells a few selected models that do not appeal to me at all. The price they ask for (close to 10K after tax for one sofa and one loverseat) is also way beyond my budget ($6000). I've thought about buying online, yet without actually trying out the sofas myself to see whether or not the cushions are firm and supportive enough to suit my comfort need, it's very hard to make the right choice.

Because I'm extremely inexperienced when it comes to brands of sofas that are considered "okay" or "decent", I think it's best I ask you experts here for some suggestions. Besides H&M, Leathercraft, and B&Y, which have very limited number of dealers in Canada, is there any other brands I could and should look for?

Some of the ones I've already looked at include: Lane, La-Z-Boy, Natuzzi, Stylus, Ashley Furniture, Ethan Allen, and Campio Furniture. These are sold widely across many dealers in Vancouver. The designs are fairly appealing, but because of the horror stories associated with Natuzzi Edition, and La-Z-Boy, as told by members in this forum and other online sites, I don't want to tread on dangerous waters and spend my hard earned money on junks.

Some of the sales associates told me that many sofa builders are outsourcing their stuff to China for assembly and processing, which I don't think can be avoided unless I buy H&M, but if say the hardwood-frame (kiln treated) was made-in-Canada, should I favor these over the ones imported from China or South Africa? While I don't like Chinese made sofas, I'm equally skeptical about the Canadian sofa manufacturers, as there is close to no comments or reviews on their build quality.

Sorry for the long-winded thread, I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by elmoisfat; 12-19-2010 at 11:02 PM.