Thread: New Poster with recliner questions

drjjpdc Guest

Default New Poster with recliner questions

Hi, my name is John. I've been scanning your site and there is lots of good info on quality furniture. I need a new recliner and like what is written on H-M and B-Y. Duane is very honest in his recommendations and advice. I am 6'5", weigh about 350 and on disability (before I got sick I lost 75 lbs at age 50 and I had to take prednisone and back went on the weight!). I had a Barcalounger that broke (frame and mechanism) after 3 years.

The thing is they advertised a hardwood frame so I am a bit gun-shy about getting a new recliner. I need one though because an ottoman is too low for elevating my legs. I wrote down Duane's advice on the H&M Sadler and Austin High Back. I'm kind of torn between the B-Y 4229 and 7301. I like the 4229 but my wife is leaning toward the 7301. Knowing me the way she does (my cleaning skills are minimal at best), she probably thinks the 7301 being close to the ground, would make her life easier.

Duane all kidding aside, I must admit that the differences are very subtle. The 7301 is
    2" shorter and the arm height is lower. There is a 4" overall depth difference, does that mean anything? The full recline has a few more inches on the 7301 too. Given that your customer experience is greater than mine, would either one pretty much suit my needs? Also to save a few bucks I could go with a fabric, instead of leather. Does the covering over the frame make any difference besides personal preference, I could go with either one?

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by drjjpdc; 12-20-2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: forgot to add a point

Default Re: New Poster with recliner questions

Hi John,

Here's the bad news. No one makes a mechanism that is designed to hold up for a man your size. I talked to several suppliers and recliners are not stressed for 350 lb.

Even the best in the business, Hancock and Moore, said they would buttress the frame with reinforcement for an extra $ 75, but they still expect the hardware to NOT be able to operate with any degree of durability/longevity. You likely would have to replace the mechanism after a period of time (Mechanisms out of warranty are appx $ 125 and require an hour of labor to install by a local upholstery shop). It was recommended that if you want to stay in a recliner, get a power-operated one. They are less subject to the hardware failing from stress than the manual units. Option 2 (and this is what I would do) is get a Tilt Back Chair and Ottoman, the reason being the seating are on the tilt backs is a solid hardwood frame (if H&M, BY would be Plywood), and that with the reinforcement would mean it would not fall apart. Movement in the back is controlled with a gas strut rather than a system of pivots and rivets as in a recliner. The Tilt back may lose pressure from the gas strut over time, but they're not especially difficult to replace. Ottomans can be made higher or lower, as you like.

Brad Young tells me they do not buttress the frames on their recliners (you can only get a standard one) and they would expect both the frame and mechanism to break.

If you really want to stay in a recliner, either go for a power-operated, reinforced H&M (in leather - may be more then you care to spend) and let them build it as strong as they can for you - or don't worry about longevity and go get a Flexsteel or other brand as inexpensively as you can and simply replace them every year or two when they break.

Wish I had a better answer for you!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Duane,

This might be a new opportunity for the trade. With today's sized adults why not manufacture a stronger mechanism, reinforced frame and over sized seating as a line from a quality manufacturer.
    While this might not steal the designer awards at market there certainly is a real and "growing" market.

Could possibly be, but the first question I can hear any furniture maker ask me is "How many will we sell if we job up for this?" I'm sure its been addressed before and the answer is there is not enough sales demand to ramp up for a heavy duty series. I know I don't run into such a request but once every five years or so.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I certainly would favor a quality manufacturer who had a line that was better made and more durable for the bigger adult. When looking for a desk chair I passed on H&M due to size of their offerings. I also passed on purchasing a recliner for the same reason. The last tilt back chair I purchased from H&M I spec'd heavy duty springs. Unfortunately the manufacturers who service the over sized market do not offer the quality or choice that a good number of customers seek. So is the problem lack of demand or might it really be lack of supply? Or one of my favorite movie quotes "if you built it they will come"

Larry