Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss furniture warranties

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

Default Re: Let's discuss furniture warranties

Duane I just found the HANCOCK & MOORE warranty registeration booklet/card under the sofa cushion of the ENVELOP I bought from you.
    Do not remember date of purchase, can not find paperwork on the sale. Sale was possible 5 years ago?
    There is no problem with the sofa. Perfect as the day it was delivered. Should I mail the registration card with out the complete information. The registration number sticker is still on as the entire booklet was inside of a plastic sleeve.
    Thanks

Yes, I would mail it in. Take your best guess on the date.....probably not 5 years old, but could have been!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Ci2Eye Guest

On my H&M chair, there is a date on the cushion core. You might try unzipping the cushion covers and see if there are any dates on there. For my chair, the listed date appears to be a production date or the date that the cores were made which is about six weeks prior to the chair's initial delivery to me. If there is a date there, I would use it on the warranty card or use it but add four to six weeks.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

I went thru old bank statements until I found THE KEEPING ROOM. Duane I did not understand at that time it would cost you to process my debit card as I paid not from a credit card but from my checking account. I could have just mailed you a check if I had known. The date of the payment processed was 1 OCT 2010.

Well, the guys REALLY making money are the ones that operate these credit cards, they make money hand over foot. My monthly credit card charges from transaction average $ 3,000 a month to Visa/Mastercard/Discover/Am Ex. That's a lot of payout, but its the way people shop today. What really frosts me is that there are close to twenty different rate categories, with any kind of business card being the highest rate to process for the merchant (because they tend to pay in full on their bill every month). I never know what a particular card is going to cost to process, but I couldn't do anything about it anyways. The rates are going up again October 1st as well, they raise the processing fees every year. I simply have to increase the retail price of goods to cover these fees, like any other merchant. 20 years ago only 10 % of my business was in credit cards, but now that is reversed and its 90 % in plastic. I will always offer a 2 % cash/check discount for those that want to take advantage of it, my feeling being that if I don't have to pay the credit card fees then I can give you back what they would charge me.

One other thing folks don't often realize (and many merchants don't either) is that when we refund a purchase, we don't get the processing fees back. I learned that the hard way several years ago when I had a customer buy $ 42,000 worth of oriental rugs on a Am Ex Card on a Thursday and returned them all back the following week for a refund (She used them to dress out her home for a big fundraiser party at her home, I later found out). After refunding her money I lost $ 840 in fees out of pocket plus all the hours of sweat equity to take them out of the store to her house, then go pick them back up again and put back in my store. That's why now I have a 10 % re-stocking charge on all returns.
    Duane Collie

Pupjr Guest

Agree, furniture warranties are tricky. They don't mean much when they don't cover pickup and delivery and the repairs might be impractical. So, have a bernhardt leather sofa with lifetime warranty. Staple blocks holding springs have pulled out of the frame in back. About 10 of them. Bernhardt said to get an estimate and they would cover repairs but not pick up and delivery or taxes. Haven't had much luck finding anybody who knows how to repair. The sofa is about 15 years old. Frankly, amazed that this is how they attach the springs! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	191.7 KB 
ID:	6850
    Last edited by Pupjr; 02-02-2015 at 02:11 PM.

How many warranties on anything you buy include coming to your house to pick it up and transport it? Not too many that I know of. If I buy something mail order and it has a warranty issue, I have to send it back via UPS. etc. If my car needs warranty work, I have to get it to the dealership and go pick it back up as well. Furniture warranties require you to get the piece back to your selling dealer or to the factory. Once you do that, they will repair it and re-ship it back to the selling dealer (Not necessarily back to your home). That's the industry standard on warranty repairs.

That construction is pretty sad, but that is typical of companies like Bernhardt, Ashley, Lazy Boy, etc. Plastics and staples on Plywood. There's a reason the good stuff costs what it does and its not made like that. That's really pretty easy to fix yourself if you're at all handy. That plastic and staples is garbage - get rid of it.
    get some metal spring clamps that attach with screws and replace all the ones in there. Here is similar to what you need:

http://ergode.com/index.php?route=pr...qSkaAmJn8P8HAQ
    Duane Collie

How many warranties on anything you buy include coming to your house to pick it up and transport it? Not too many that I know of. If I buy something mail order and it has a warranty issue, I have to send it back via UPS. etc. If my car needs warranty work, I have to get it to the dealership and go pick it back up as well. Furniture warranties require you to get the piece back to your selling dealer or to the factory. Once you do that, they will repair it and re-ship it back to the selling dealer (Not necessarily back to your home). That's the industry standard on warranty repairs.

That construction is pretty sad, but that is typical of companies like Bernhardt, Ashley, Lazy Boy, etc. Plastics and staples on Plywood. There's a reason the good stuff costs what it does and its not made like that. That's really pretty easy to fix yourself if you're at all handy. That plastic and staples is garbage - get rid of it.
    get some metal spring clamps that attach with screws and replace all the ones in there. Here is similar to what you need:

Duane Collie

Pupjr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post

Most of the stuff you mentioned is portable. I could take my dishwasher, washer, dryer, refrigerator etc back too but I'm not required to do that to enforce the warranty! Seems to me anything that big and weighing that much involving a $100/150 delivery charge is pretty much a "limited" and useless warranty. I appreciate the tip on clamps and could do that easily but fail to see how I could get the springs back on top of the board with these as there is no access to top of board. Hard to tell from the pic whether they clamp all the way around the board and are screwed in from the bottom? Maybe it doesn't make any difference if spring is attached above or below the board?

That's why you always want to ask specifically what the warranty covers so you know for sure.

It won't matter where on the board you attach the springs as long as you can get a solid attachment point that won't pull loose. I can't determine accessibility as I only see the one photo posted. I know if that were my piece and I was going to repair it, my spring clamps would be screwed in metal vs stapled in plastic. Good luck.
    Duane Collie