Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hancock & Moore and my store

Cool Hancock & Moore and my store

I first became a Hancock and Moore dealer in 1986, 25 years ago. I had the dealership only 18 months or so (can't remember exactly) and was dropped as a dealer because of "marketing re-alignments" as its known in the trade. Mostly it was because I was running very aggressively priced ads on H&M Recliners in The Washington Post at prices that angered the 800 lb gorilla in the Washington DC area, "Mastercraft Interiors". My sales volume in H&M was a mere pittance next to what Mastercraft was doing with its five large stores in the area. Not a problem, it happens all the time. My Shifman bedding dealership disappeared the same way when one too many customers walked into Bloomingdale's asking them to match my selling price. Bloomingdale's or little old Keeping Room? You can see which way that was going to go. When you're a minnow in the pond of Rainbow Trout, you have to expect to get gobbled up from time to time.

I always missed not being a Hancock and Moore dealer though. They built high quality product that was easy to be keen on because it was good stuff. Fast forward to May 2006 and Mastercraft Interiors financially exploded and went bankrupt, and left a trail of millions owned to suppliers and retail customers alike. The people that owned Mastercraft Interiors didn't have the highest moral scruples and violated a lot of trust with suppliers and customers. Almost 20 years after I had 'lost' my Hancock and Moore dealership, I was on the phone the day I read about Mastercraft in the papers asking if I could once again become a dealer. I wanted that line badly - and even in a poor furniture market I was willing to spend the money to buy the required inventory to get the line. They remembered me and were somewhat surprised I called back, but I was able to get Hancock & Moore immediately and promptly placed an opening even though it took half my cash reserves to do so.

In 2007, less than a year after being back with H&M I was able to get a Seventy-Two piece order of Hancock & Moore ordered by The White House through my store. That was a big project, and a lot of fun, and I was off and running after that.

In 2008 I doubled my business in the H&M line, up 101 % from 2007.

In 2009 I increased it 52% from 2008.

This past year, 2010, I increased it 61 % from 2009.

If someone had told me in 2006 that I would be turning the volume of Hancock and Moore than I now doing I would have told them they were out of their mind, and that it was not possible to do so from a 5,000 s.f. Mom n' Pop store. Even at H&M, they consider me a National dealer now, with a broad presence and well-versed in the product line. I like selling this line. In fact its my very favorite of all the ones I have in the store. So its easy to sell something you're excited about and that you like. What makes H&M so special?

* Quality. They don't take shortcuts in the build.

* American made. OK, so I like to wave the flag a bit. Not a big fan of Asian imports.

* Customer Service and Quality Control. The Best in the Business. They're a 'yes' company when so many others like to be 'no' companies. If there is something wrong with one of their products - and its a manufacturing defect - they make it right.

* Selection. 400 leathers, 1,400 frames. That's a lot.

* Access. I can speak with the owners of the company at any time, and they're glad to take my call. That's a big deal, actually. Other companies refuse to let me get to top management and reroute my calls back to the sales rep or customer service which infuriates me when I have an issue with their product. I don't like or appreciate being told 'management said'....I want to talk to the management, not have messages relayed to me. With H&M, I'm on a first name basis with the principal owners (sometimes they think my ideas are a bit whacky, though...lol).

* Confidence. I have a lot of long distance business. The vast majority of pieces from the H&M line will feel comfortable to 95% of folks ordering the product without ever trying it out personally ahead of time. They pay a lot of attention to comfort levels on all their pieces. Some of the other companies - not so much. So I can feel good about that long distance sale knowing the odds are the customer in California will be happy buying that piece because it meets or exceeds expectations when it arrives.

* Its like Family. I know all the front end staff at H&M and they know me. We chat about kids, life, the weather, and whatever else comes up. When I need a favor for a customer they take care of me. That in turn takes care of my customers, and that's what I like. There is virtually no employee turnover at H&M, either. Those are coveted jobs in the trade and that means experience levels are very high there which comes back to the customer in a quality product and the ability to know what can and can't be done to a piece of furniture.

* Longevity. When you don't take shortcuts, your product lasts. Keep the leather clean and out of the direct sunlight, and it can be a lifetime purchase. I still have my 1021 H&M Woodbridge Recliner I bought in 1986 and use it daily. Its never had a repair, and never has even needed cushion core inserts. 25 years old now, and my only regret with it is that if I had known it would have lasted so long I'd have bought a higher grade leather!

Its not inexpensive furniture. I think most people pretty much know that you get what you pay for, and you just can't build it right AND build it cheap. It costs what it costs. Outside the budget for some, but for those who can afford it it returns value in its longevity of use without performance failure as it ages.

Thanks to all who have purchased their Hancock and Moore through my little piece of the furniture world. I seriously doubt I can continue that sales trend percentage for 2011, but one never knows. I'll certainly try and as well as to earn your business on each and every sale.
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-01-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Hancock & Moore and my store

Great reading. Happy New year to you and your family. I hope you do well in 2011

ViviV Guest

Well, I thought I'd read almost all posts in this forum and last night I found this one I'd never seen before. What a great success story Duane! How did the following years pan out for the Keeping Room after all?

I'm still here as you can see! I had hoped that my 2016 I could justify hiring a full-time employee, but alas not. Making margins is so difficult in this business, there is just not the reserves to do that and I refuse to take on debt in order to project "If I spend X then Y will happen". That's the kiss of death for many small businesses. Debt service is always there - sales may or may not come. I would LOVE to have an employee so I could take a day off here and there or when I get sick or even have to go to the warehouse and lock up the store, etc. If I could raise my prices 10% without consumer backlash on pricing then I could pay that full-time employee...but I don't think anyone here wants to pay more for their furniture....

Do you ever watch Shark Tank? Love that show. See how the Sharks always ask about margins? The percentages just floor me what they get, and that of course is a major key to a making money and being able to expand. You also see how they say retail is the kiss of death? They're pretty much right about that, too - It's not an easy business balancing costs of doing business with retail pricing. Consumers (myself included) are always shopping the lowest price, and that puts enormous pressures on margins and profitability. I can't fault anyone for that, nor do I fault stores who sell at higher prices than I do - they usually have to.

Hancock & Moore is still the # 1 seller in my store and I am well-versed in the line. And I still think they build the best product out there with a tremendous after-sale support should it ever be needed. It's worth the extra cost over less furniture in my opinion. They will be rolling out a major new line edition in two weeks called Urban Logic, and have asked I come to Market to see it. I'm a little burned out on all this simple transitional / urban design motif however, think it will soon have run its cours, but we will see what they have to offer. All style periods have a start and end point, and are cyclic. I have to think the plain and simple shapes will give way to more interesting and complex design but for now this is the type of think they will be showing as new, from their photo shoot setups

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14344179_1417963568231699_3684755605378780017_n.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	9143
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-06-2016 at 05:16 PM.
    Duane Collie

cat@atl Guest

After reading that, I've got Elton John's "I'm still standing" stuck in my head.

I like those; they are smaller/trimmer and appealing to folks with smaller homes (shout out to modest mid-century ranches and 8 foot ceilings and 1-bedroom apartment dwellers!!).

The last few months, I've been seeing references to "maximalism" in home decor and also in fashion. I just read something suggesting it's about the economy: economy up = optimism = more embellishment. Or like a designer famously said, "more is more."
    Like you say, Duane, there's cycles to everything and I expect that minimalist / monochromatic / "decluttered" phase makes sense during lean times even to those of us who eventually realize we like a little more stuff around.

ViviV Guest

Well, IMHO, I'm happy you're still around! I would have NEVER know of Hancock and Moore if I hadn't stumbled upon this forum via gardenweb when looking for advise on sofa brands.

When I need to purchase furniture, which is every 8-10 years like most people, I know of the mainstream brands of furniture (thought they were the best). Of course, here in the last 10 years, the MASSIVE bombardment of catalogs exposed us to other brands(pottery barn, restoration hardware, ethan allen, crate barrel, etc...etc...). And they got to us all; after all, their furniture sure does look good on print, doesn't it??? I also like to stroll into the local big stores when looking for furniture. And specially when the 80% discounts roll out for every holdiday....mind you, this is Texas, so they're really big discounts and big stores!! ;> But even then, NEVER, and I do mean NEVER did any one of the sales people introduce me to H&M when I expressed interest in leather furniture. NOT ONE sales person showed me to the H&M section of the store to rant and rave about it being THE standard upon all other brand fall under. Not one person talked about H&M being the best in durability, quality of construction surpassed by none, etc.

My father ran his business the way you do. Of course, he didn't sell furniture but electrical equipment (kind of like the old Ace Hardware). He told me at one time about margins and different price structures that made him successful when others went under. Over pricing to expand operations is a death sentence, according to him. Anyhow, that was a long time ago but I think the philosophy is much more applicable today, when almost ANYTHING can be purchased online from someone who doesn't have a retail store front to pay for. The model you use to run the Keeping Room works. "The proof is in the pudding", as they say...... the number of customers you have in California and Texas alone is the proof!! One must recognize that the "formula" here is fantastic: a TOP OF THE LINE, HIGH Quality, NO shortcuts kind of product that is backed by its manufacturer 100% COMBINED with the product knowledge power house, competitive pricing, customer service guru that you are = high sales volume. Simple and Brilliant.

I do love Shark Tank! My 17 year old records it and watches every episode too! They have it all down to a science!

Glad to have ran into this post. Good stuff!
    Kudos to you Duane!
    Last edited by ViviV; 10-07-2016 at 10:45 AM.

vbnet Guest

Whoaa! Just checked in and saw this post. I think the UL line may interest the younger crowd like my son. He currently L o v e s his Arrington and it is a great fit for his smaller condo. Most of his friends gravitate towards the simpler lines but don't like the way most of the sofas they have access to fall apart after a few years. I think his may be about 3 yrs now and it looks the way it did when it was delivered.

Ann

cmferma09 Guest

Hi, Everyone,

I'm on the hunt for a new sofa and came across the Urban Logic line by Hancock & Moore. I'm seeking some feedback for the Westbury Sofa. Any good?

Thank you,
    Catherine aka Newbie

I love the Urban Logic designs. It's appealing to my generation (I'm my early 40s & those in their 30s.) It's also what's hot right now in all the design & decor magazines, and the look that RH kinda can be credited with winning over the masses with.

I agree, it's not for those that are more traditional, but if you like the mid century modern/Danish minimalist look with lighter stained woods, it's right up your alley!

Hancock and Moore is one of the companies at the cutting edge of trends, because they spend a lot of money to hire the best designers in the country. Century is likewise. Their Urban Logic is a prime example of that in style with a secondary goal to keep them affordable for younger generations.

Most companies simply copy the leaders and you see their clones come out 6 to 12 months later, any they are never quite as nicely executed since they are copying from photographs.
    Duane Collie