Thread: Hancock & Moore and my store

Threaded View

Cool Hancock & Moore and my store

I first became a Hancock and Moore dealer in 1986, 25 years ago. I had the dealership only 18 months or so (can't remember exactly) and was dropped as a dealer because of "marketing re-alignments" as its known in the trade. Mostly it was because I was running very aggressively priced ads on H&M Recliners in The Washington Post at prices that angered the 800 lb gorilla in the Washington DC area, "Mastercraft Interiors". My sales volume in H&M was a mere pittance next to what Mastercraft was doing with its five large stores in the area. Not a problem, it happens all the time. My Shifman bedding dealership disappeared the same way when one too many customers walked into Bloomingdale's asking them to match my selling price. Bloomingdale's or little old Keeping Room? You can see which way that was going to go. When you're a minnow in the pond of Rainbow Trout, you have to expect to get gobbled up from time to time.

I always missed not being a Hancock and Moore dealer though. They built high quality product that was easy to be keen on because it was good stuff. Fast forward to May 2006 and Mastercraft Interiors financially exploded and went bankrupt, and left a trail of millions owned to suppliers and retail customers alike. The people that owned Mastercraft Interiors didn't have the highest moral scruples and violated a lot of trust with suppliers and customers. Almost 20 years after I had 'lost' my Hancock and Moore dealership, I was on the phone the day I read about Mastercraft in the papers asking if I could once again become a dealer. I wanted that line badly - and even in a poor furniture market I was willing to spend the money to buy the required inventory to get the line. They remembered me and were somewhat surprised I called back, but I was able to get Hancock & Moore immediately and promptly placed an opening even though it took half my cash reserves to do so.

In 2007, less than a year after being back with H&M I was able to get a Seventy-Two piece order of Hancock & Moore ordered by The White House through my store. That was a big project, and a lot of fun, and I was off and running after that.

In 2008 I doubled my business in the H&M line, up 101 % from 2007.

In 2009 I increased it 52% from 2008.

This past year, 2010, I increased it 61 % from 2009.

If someone had told me in 2006 that I would be turning the volume of Hancock and Moore than I now doing I would have told them they were out of their mind, and that it was not possible to do so from a 5,000 s.f. Mom n' Pop store. Even at H&M, they consider me a National dealer now, with a broad presence and well-versed in the product line. I like selling this line. In fact its my very favorite of all the ones I have in the store. So its easy to sell something you're excited about and that you like. What makes H&M so special?

* Quality. They don't take shortcuts in the build.

* American made. OK, so I like to wave the flag a bit. Not a big fan of Asian imports.

* Customer Service and Quality Control. The Best in the Business. They're a 'yes' company when so many others like to be 'no' companies. If there is something wrong with one of their products - and its a manufacturing defect - they make it right.

* Selection. 400 leathers, 1,400 frames. That's a lot.

* Access. I can speak with the owners of the company at any time, and they're glad to take my call. That's a big deal, actually. Other companies refuse to let me get to top management and reroute my calls back to the sales rep or customer service which infuriates me when I have an issue with their product. I don't like or appreciate being told 'management said'....I want to talk to the management, not have messages relayed to me. With H&M, I'm on a first name basis with the principal owners (sometimes they think my ideas are a bit whacky, though...lol).

* Confidence. I have a lot of long distance business. The vast majority of pieces from the H&M line will feel comfortable to 95% of folks ordering the product without ever trying it out personally ahead of time. They pay a lot of attention to comfort levels on all their pieces. Some of the other companies - not so much. So I can feel good about that long distance sale knowing the odds are the customer in California will be happy buying that piece because it meets or exceeds expectations when it arrives.

* Its like Family. I know all the front end staff at H&M and they know me. We chat about kids, life, the weather, and whatever else comes up. When I need a favor for a customer they take care of me. That in turn takes care of my customers, and that's what I like. There is virtually no employee turnover at H&M, either. Those are coveted jobs in the trade and that means experience levels are very high there which comes back to the customer in a quality product and the ability to know what can and can't be done to a piece of furniture.

* Longevity. When you don't take shortcuts, your product lasts. Keep the leather clean and out of the direct sunlight, and it can be a lifetime purchase. I still have my 1021 H&M Woodbridge Recliner I bought in 1986 and use it daily. Its never had a repair, and never has even needed cushion core inserts. 25 years old now, and my only regret with it is that if I had known it would have lasted so long I'd have bought a higher grade leather!

Its not inexpensive furniture. I think most people pretty much know that you get what you pay for, and you just can't build it right AND build it cheap. It costs what it costs. Outside the budget for some, but for those who can afford it it returns value in its longevity of use without performance failure as it ages.

Thanks to all who have purchased their Hancock and Moore through my little piece of the furniture world. I seriously doubt I can continue that sales trend percentage for 2011, but one never knows. I'll certainly try and as well as to earn your business on each and every sale.
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-01-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.