Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking a Good Quality Leather Sofa Brand

Default Seeking a Good Quality Leather Sofa Brand

Recently moved into a new home and started looking for a leather sofa..I'm overwhelmed! Know very little about leather or furniture construction in general. I of course Googled and read several websites but still would like some input from people in the know.

Few musts:

have to be able to sit/test it out first
    must be hardwood frame, hand tied seats (standards for the better brands from what I've seen)
    protected - we don't have kids but we do have a furbaby who is allowed on the sofa. We aren't slobs but neither do I have plastic runners on my seating.

We've looked at 25-40 sofa's in the last week and I've found two that I like..one a custom build from a place here in Houston called The Leather Shoppe. The leather we picked is a cognac grade C leather.

http://www.leatherfurnitureshoppe.co...ter013550.html

The other is from a local place called The Dump, brand is named Viewpoint and finding very little info on the brand. Meets the above requirements and is a style that I like. Sofa and chair will be 3600.00 plus tax

Input would be greatly appreciated. I live in the Houston area so has to be someplace local to buy a good quality leather sofa in that budget...

thanks

Default Re: ISO Good quality leather sofa (brand)

I never heard of that brand but I am no expert. If you are willing to spend that kind of money then I would 100% tell you to buy a Hancock & Moore. Find a local dealer and see which models they have in stock to try out. Or see if there are any members in your area that have a model that you like and see if they would let you over for a cup of tea and a sit on the sofa. I purchased one blind from a picture and it is unreal. Every other model that I have ever sat on at local dealers felt great.

I have sat on other brands with hardwood 8way hand tied and they were not even close in quality and comfort. Like sitting in a Mercedes compaired to a KIA

Default Re: ISO Good quality leather sofa (brand)

Thanks, I'll check them out, several places here in Houston carry that brand but I was under the impression that they cost much more than our budget.

Default Re: Seeking a Good Quality Leather Sofa Brand

For the leatherfurnitureshop piece, I would venture from the leather names that they (or the company that builds the Palazzo Custom Leather pieces for them) obtain their leather from Moore & Giles. In their comparison chart they put "Palazzo Custom Leather" up with the top brands; but I haven't found anything that would suggest the brand is carried by anybody else and don't know of any way to verify that claim without disassembling a piece.

There's a discussion of Viewpoint Leatherworks here. I don't find it reassuring that, since then, their website has gone offline, replaced by an ad-filled "parked page".

yes, Viewpoint is now USA Premium, and it's been bumped off the list. The Leather Shoppe Palazzo is their custom build so no other site/store would carry it. We are going to look into Hancock and Moore as well as B&Y. Unless the H&M have new leathers I did not see anything on their website that was a protected leather that was the orange/brown color I wanted (a cognac, saddle, peanut butter)

From reading this site I've seen several post on the pro's/con's of protected leather and my only concern would be the fading. The room it's to be placed in is VERY sunny, I have no problem with the cleaning and conditioning on a regular basis but do not want to keep the shutters closed. I've seen several B&Y that have the deeper seat of at least 40" that I'd like with a plan back so I'll try to find local stores that carry it so I can test them out. Still no idea on the price point of either of these since online. So far the sight unseen favorites are:

H&M
    1667 Evening Sofa
    1694 Charter
    1724 Journey
    1944 Bradley
    1847 Downes
    4192 Settlement

As you can see we like the higher arm, deeper seat with individual pillows. I need something I can rotate as well as fluff or restuff if it becomes flat. I tend to sit in the same spot and in the past it's obvious after a few years what/where I sit.

The B&Y favorites so far are

519-95 GEARHART
    552-95 STATIONARY
    703-95 SHEFFIELD
    781-95 GLASTONBURY

Any idea of what price point any of these are in? At this point getting a "deal" is out but I still don't want to overpay for something.

Sun fade will destroy any leather from any maker, You've really got to get a handle on that or all your color will be blown out on your furniture in less than five years. There are several ways to do that, however - other than closing the shutters. You can have solar film applied to the inside of your windows which will effectively block more harmful UV rays (what I did in my home), or apply SPF 80 'sun block' to the leather with a product made by Leather Magic.

I am always amused my "Leather Shoppe" ranking of the various furniture makers. <g> Its not exactly what the rest of us in the industry would agree with!

H&M has over 400 leathers to choose from, more than any other company. They have your color, I can guarantee it.

Prices vary considerably by dealer. Painting with a very broad brush, the H&M sofas will be in the $ 2,800 to $ 3,800 range, the BY pieces in the $ 1,800 to $ 2,800 range. You can still get 'deals' on any maker, any brand. They're out there!
    Duane Collie
    Please Ask ALL Questions in the Forum
    Private Messages (PM's) are for Sample Requests and Placing Orders
    No written Quotes are given on Hancock& Moore, Jessica Charles or Councill - you must call the store for pricing.

thanks for the info, we will try and find places that carry the H&M or B&Y line so we can try them out.

purchased a sofa yesterday. Selection was limited, which surprised me. I have to agree with everyone that the HM sofa's are exquisite! Unfortunately the two actual sofa's we found in Houston were outside our budget at 6K. Our final selection was a BY sofa, 789-95 GARRISON. Our final price including tax and delivery was $1600.00. Have no idea if that was a good price are not, but the sofa is comfy (LOL NOT as comfortable as the 6K sofa by HM I fell in love with) looks to be well constructed and the leather color was in the range that I was looking for. Thanks so much for everyone's input, it was invaluable. LOL now off to buy some UV protection and conditioner for the new member of the household.

http://www.bradington-young.com/prod...0&style=789-95

Looks nice but we wanna see yours, not the one in the catalog.

$ 1,600 on a BY 789-95 sofa? Was it new? That's well below dealer cost in a GR 1 leather before freight to the dealer, tax and home delivery. I'll say that's a heck of a deal. Sounds like they had it mis-marked. You should be paying a whole lot more than that! That's more the price of the matching chair than the sofa.

Very few H&M sofas retail even close to $ 6K. If you're ever in the market for a Hancock and Moore ping an out-of-state dealer like myself for a price quote (have your frame model and leather selection). We can get most sofas to Texas for quite a bit less than that.

Enjoy your new sofa!
    Duane Collie
    Please Ask ALL Questions in the Forum
    Private Messages (PM's) are for Sample Requests and Placing Orders
    No written Quotes are given on Hancock& Moore, Jessica Charles or Councill - you must call the store for pricing.