Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking a Good Quality Leather Sofa Brand

Araness Guest

Default Seeking a Good Quality Leather Sofa Brand

Recently moved into a new home and started looking for a leather sofa..I'm overwhelmed! Know very little about leather or furniture construction in general. I of course Googled and read several websites but still would like some input from people in the know.

Few musts:

have to be able to sit/test it out first
    must be hardwood frame, hand tied seats (standards for the better brands from what I've seen)
    protected - we don't have kids but we do have a furbaby who is allowed on the sofa. We aren't slobs but neither do I have plastic runners on my seating.

We've looked at 25-40 sofa's in the last week and I've found two that I like..one a custom build from a place here in Houston called The Leather Shoppe. The leather we picked is a cognac grade C leather.

http://www.leatherfurnitureshoppe.co...ter013550.html

The other is from a local place called The Dump, brand is named Viewpoint and finding very little info on the brand. Meets the above requirements and is a style that I like. Sofa and chair will be 3600.00 plus tax

Input would be greatly appreciated. I live in the Houston area so has to be someplace local to buy a good quality leather sofa in that budget...

thanks

Default Re: ISO Good quality leather sofa (brand)

I never heard of that brand but I am no expert. If you are willing to spend that kind of money then I would 100% tell you to buy a Hancock & Moore. Find a local dealer and see which models they have in stock to try out. Or see if there are any members in your area that have a model that you like and see if they would let you over for a cup of tea and a sit on the sofa. I purchased one blind from a picture and it is unreal. Every other model that I have ever sat on at local dealers felt great.

I have sat on other brands with hardwood 8way hand tied and they were not even close in quality and comfort. Like sitting in a Mercedes compaired to a KIA

Araness Guest

Default Re: ISO Good quality leather sofa (brand)

Thanks, I'll check them out, several places here in Houston carry that brand but I was under the impression that they cost much more than our budget.

Default Re: Seeking a Good Quality Leather Sofa Brand

For the leatherfurnitureshop piece, I would venture from the leather names that they (or the company that builds the Palazzo Custom Leather pieces for them) obtain their leather from Moore & Giles. In their comparison chart they put "Palazzo Custom Leather" up with the top brands; but I haven't found anything that would suggest the brand is carried by anybody else and don't know of any way to verify that claim without disassembling a piece.

There's a discussion of Viewpoint Leatherworks here. I don't find it reassuring that, since then, their website has gone offline, replaced by an ad-filled "parked page".

Araness Guest

yes, Viewpoint is now USA Premium, and it's been bumped off the list. The Leather Shoppe Palazzo is their custom build so no other site/store would carry it. We are going to look into Hancock and Moore as well as B&Y. Unless the H&M have new leathers I did not see anything on their website that was a protected leather that was the orange/brown color I wanted (a cognac, saddle, peanut butter)

From reading this site I've seen several post on the pro's/con's of protected leather and my only concern would be the fading. The room it's to be placed in is VERY sunny, I have no problem with the cleaning and conditioning on a regular basis but do not want to keep the shutters closed. I've seen several B&Y that have the deeper seat of at least 40" that I'd like with a plan back so I'll try to find local stores that carry it so I can test them out. Still no idea on the price point of either of these since online. So far the sight unseen favorites are:

H&M
    1667 Evening Sofa
    1694 Charter
    1724 Journey
    1944 Bradley
    1847 Downes
    4192 Settlement

As you can see we like the higher arm, deeper seat with individual pillows. I need something I can rotate as well as fluff or restuff if it becomes flat. I tend to sit in the same spot and in the past it's obvious after a few years what/where I sit.

The B&Y favorites so far are

519-95 GEARHART
    552-95 STATIONARY
    703-95 SHEFFIELD
    781-95 GLASTONBURY

Any idea of what price point any of these are in? At this point getting a "deal" is out but I still don't want to overpay for something.

Sun fade will destroy any leather from any maker, You've really got to get a handle on that or all your color will be blown out on your furniture in less than five years. There are several ways to do that, however - other than closing the shutters. You can have solar film applied to the inside of your windows which will effectively block more harmful UV rays (what I did in my home), or apply SPF 80 'sun block' to the leather with a product made by Leather Magic.

I am always amused my "Leather Shoppe" ranking of the various furniture makers. <g> Its not exactly what the rest of us in the industry would agree with!

H&M has over 400 leathers to choose from, more than any other company. They have your color, I can guarantee it.

Prices vary considerably by dealer. Painting with a very broad brush, the H&M sofas will be in the $ 2,800 to $ 3,800 range, the BY pieces in the $ 1,800 to $ 2,800 range. You can still get 'deals' on any maker, any brand. They're out there!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Araness Guest

thanks for the info, we will try and find places that carry the H&M or B&Y line so we can try them out.

Araness Guest

purchased a sofa yesterday. Selection was limited, which surprised me. I have to agree with everyone that the HM sofa's are exquisite! Unfortunately the two actual sofa's we found in Houston were outside our budget at 6K. Our final selection was a BY sofa, 789-95 GARRISON. Our final price including tax and delivery was $1600.00. Have no idea if that was a good price are not, but the sofa is comfy (LOL NOT as comfortable as the 6K sofa by HM I fell in love with) looks to be well constructed and the leather color was in the range that I was looking for. Thanks so much for everyone's input, it was invaluable. LOL now off to buy some UV protection and conditioner for the new member of the household.

http://www.bradington-young.com/prod...0&style=789-95

hglaber Guest

Looks nice but we wanna see yours, not the one in the catalog.

$ 1,600 on a BY 789-95 sofa? Was it new? That's well below dealer cost in a GR 1 leather before freight to the dealer, tax and home delivery. I'll say that's a heck of a deal. Sounds like they had it mis-marked. You should be paying a whole lot more than that! That's more the price of the matching chair than the sofa.

Very few H&M sofas retail even close to $ 6K. If you're ever in the market for a Hancock and Moore ping an out-of-state dealer like myself for a price quote (have your frame model and leather selection). We can get most sofas to Texas for quite a bit less than that.

Enjoy your new sofa!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.