Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bradington Young purchase

Andrewa Guest

Default Bradington Young purchase

Hello, I've been looking at recliners for about a month now. I've found a local bradington young dealer that I like and they have a chair model no. 3005. I like the style of this chair, and I like the price. I'm looking for a good bang for the buck leather recliner and this seems to fit the bill. My questions are 1. Is this part of the envision line? There is no e in front of it however on b.y's site it is listed on the envision product lineup and the regular lineup that's a little confusing. Also I'd like to know what you'd price this for at your store. I'm thinking Duane of course! I read your post about being kind of indifferent about the line so far, I am a younger buyer and this is one of the few recliners I looked at that I really liked. Thank you so much for any help you can provide!!!

Andrew

Default Re: Bradington young purchase...?

1: No its not. The # 3005 is in the standard B-Y Recliner Group.

2: Some pieces will cross over into the Envision line which means only the seating surface is in top grain leather, the sides and backs are in 'splits' or the bottom half of a hide. Splits are generally not used in leather furniture as they don't have the strength of the top grain hide and won't finish as well.

3. PM me for a price, and let me know the leather so I can get the correct grade and quote for you, also the ship to address so I can compute delivery as part of the quote.

Nothing wrong with BY Recliners! I have (2) in my own home.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Default Re: Bradington young purchase...?

This got me wondering if B-Y has a leather similar to the H&M Berkshire tobacco. This recliner looks nice, 7570 BROCK WALL-HUGGER W/BRASS NAILS. Looks similar to the Austin high back.
    Who makes the mechanisms? and does it swivel?
    Thanks

hglaber Guest

Default Re: Bradington Young purchase

And while we're on the topic, since my local H&M dealer just under, anyone have any experience with the B-Y 713-95 sofa and/or matching 4713 recliner? Comfy in both sitting and napping positions? Is it in their married cover program (if they have one)? I find the combination to curves and right angles very appealing on that one. For some reason the arms remind me of the fenders on a classic pickup truck.

The BY # 7570 with the GS suffix makes it into a Swivel-Glider-Recliner. B-Y switched out of Leggett and Platt last summer and now uses Ultra Mech (made in USA). #9019-85 (King Street) is similar to Berkshire Tobacco in the BY line.

The 713-95 / 4713 series is decent. I like it, anyways. Its not H&M, but its not their price points, either. Yes, those are in their Married Cover program in leather # 9847-85, and -89 (both are browns) for $ 1,790 on the sofa, 1,077 on the recliner - plus delivery fees. Keep in mind that in Married Covers, you're not going to get an exact color match, but its so close that most folks can't tell the difference in dye lots.
    Duane Collie

Madeiraview Guest

I have just discovered this site...a wealth of knowledge. We just shopped for 2 BY leather recliners #4114. We were assured that it was totally manfactured in USA. That the company had thoughts of closing in US, but are not. We were told that the mechanism was definitely made/assembled in USA. I read one of the posts saying that the BY mechanism was marked china.
    So are there US & China mechanisms floating around on various recliners? We have already put a deposit and are getting too confused. We want USA made and not the headaches of China workmanship. The chinese workmanship has infiltrated all markets making this a throw away society and not fixable/replacement for consumers. HELP !

Bradington-Young is owned by Hooker Corporation, and all Hooker wood products are made in China. Bradington-Young's label is USA made, however. They do offer a line under the B-Y label called "Seven Seas" and that is 100% made in China.

If you are purchasing a pair of # 4414 Recliners here's what you are getting:

* The recliner is made in Cherryville NC

* The mechanism is made by Ultra Mech, which is USA made

* It will have a engineered hardwood (laminated plywood) frame. I do not know the source of the lumber.

* The cushion cores are USA made

* A large percentage of the leathers used come from Chinese tanneries. There are no more USA tanneries, OSHA and the EPA closed them up in 2008. So all leather is imported from somewhere. China has no cattle industry and must import the 'crusts' or cowskins, and many of those are from the USA. B-Y does not tell the dealers the origins of the hides, but when asked they say 'none come from China'. Quite simply, that's not true. I have enough sources in the leather business that I would estimate 40 to 50% of the B-Y leathers are from China.

* Most the miscellaneous hardware is from China (Screws, Staples, Brackets, etc, just like what you buy at Home Depot or Lowes).

The two best mechanisms on the market for recliners are Ultra-Mech and Leggit and Platt. Ultra-Mech is a much smaller company and USA-made, Leggit and Platt operates a production facility in Mississippi and one in China as well, with production coming from both operations on all models.

If you want the best made recliner on the market, buy a Hancock and Moore in a GR 3 or GR 4 leather (those will be European hides). But you'll pay twice the price of those 4114's from BY!
    Duane Collie

Madeiraview Guest

You answered my questions is wonderful expertise and detail. I am looking at my Clayton Marcus wing backs and Ethan Allen Bedroom set with such different eyes.
    I am seriously considering recovering these wonderfully made chairs. My Thomasville Cherry dining set from the early 80's suddenly looks better than ever ! I will continue with the purchace of the B-Y leather recliner. Thinking of maybe going back to look at the H & M's again, but the retailer we visited didn't have every style and don't want to do a catalog order.

The lighting selections available are also mostly made in china...had friends who had
    globes on a chandelier just pop and fall to the table, because of defective ceramic rings securing the globes. Took 5 months to get a new globe. This is really getting to be a very frustrating and depressing situation for American consumers.

Wish the Keeping Room was in Massachusetts !

Thanks again !

Its very true trying to get replacement parts out of most Chinese made product is an exercise in frustration. In some instances, parts are simply not available.

The American made product is still out there, but it costs more. We don't want or expect our fellow Americans to work for 75 cents an hour like the Chinese do. All these companies that transferred build operations to the Pacific Rim did so because consumers wanted to spend less and less. They are just responding to consumer demands is all. But not everyone went to China, and they pride themselves on US made goods. Its up to consumers to keep these folks in business who made decisions to keep their facilities in the USA, and you do that by buying their product.

The 4114 we speak of can be bought for as little as $ 899 in my store, with a shiny Chinese leather on it. Or, you can get something like a Hancock and Moore 1044 Sadler Recliner with a beautiful and luxurious first-rate German leather on it for 3x that price. There's no question the H&M Sadler is a much finer recliner with a superior hide on it, and some people are willing to pay that - others not. Its all about choices! (I have both those recliners in my home, guess which one I use as my main chair?)

<laughing> The Keeping Room will never be in Massachusetts. It's WAY too cold up there in the winter for me. I do have lots of customers up that way and am dreading a pickup trip I have to make there in the next couple of weeks.
    Duane Collie

Madeiraview Guest

Smile Re: Bradington Young purchase

Hi...don't want to abuse your free knowledge. The B-Y 4114 we speak of and which we have put a deposit on....the list price is $1,900 & the...sale price $1,049. The cover as stated on our invoice is 9858-88-F. Would this be what you consider to be a shiny chinese leather? We only had 3 leathers to choose from. The H&M on the floor display were a little too overpowering in size or didn't seem to fit my husband's comfort. I am sure there would be something in the H&M line to fit his comfort desire if only we could find one in-store to try out.

We have put a deposit on the B-Y....now I am having 2nd thoughts.

thanks....