Thread: Research for Buying a Leather Sofa

Charvard Guest

Question Research for Buying a Leather Sofa

We are shopping for a leather sofa, and have done some research. Quality is important, but so is price. We have looked at several Bradington Young pieces, both in their top line and new Envision Line. Like the prices on the Envision line better, but does anybody have experience with this newer line? We also like a sofa by Nichols & Stone, but again not sure since sold to Stickley not long ago. Thanks!

Default Re: Hello..just joined in

Bradington-Young has three lines.

The Flagship line (Bradington Young) is made in the USA using Engineered Plywood frames and 8-way hand-tied construction, and premium cushion cores.

Their "Latitudes" line is 100 % made in China.

Realizing there is a very real backlash among USA consumers against Chinese product, they rolled out the Envision series which is designed to hit budget price points and still be made in the USA. However to do that, they must give up some components in the product. The 8-way hand-tied springs are gone as are the premium cushion cores. Additionally only the seating surfaces are made of top grain leather, the sides and backs of the pieces are made from the splits of leather, which generally is not used in the leather furniture trade (it doesn't have the strength or finish of top grain).

I declined to carry the Envision line in my store, I just thought it had too many shortcuts in it. Like most things in life, you generally get what you pay for!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

samuelsfurn Guest

I carry the Envision line. While the construction is definitely different, as Duane said, the Envision's line was designed to hit certain price points. The comfort and look are there for the Envision's line, but long term durability remains to be seen.

Nichols & Stone is reemerging after being bought by Stickley. As a dealer of both companies, I will readily attest to the high quality of Stickley furniture. The Nichols & Stone upholstery is a new offering from them. Prior to being bought they were more known for their wood pieces (it's still most of their line). N&S upholstery is made with 100 coil "marshall" units (300 coils per sofa). Personally, I view this as a minor step up from the "no-sag springs", but not the quality of an 8-way hand tied piece, generally. Normally, I would offer more details regarding the construction, however our N&S catalog has not been updated, so I have put a call in for my N&S rep for more info. I'll keep you updated as to what I find out.

Jacob Samuels
    Samuels Furniture & Interiors

Charvard Guest

Thanks for the input! I thought the Envision line was still made in the USA. I will most likely steer clear of this line, but again the price does make one curious! The Nichols & Stone sofa we liked is leather, from their new "Butte" line. There are a few Bradington Young sofas we like, which include the palmera 9487-85 and the Richardson 866-95, both of which I saw positive comments on. My husband also loves the Bradington Young Doland sofa 581-95. None of these models are on the floor at our store here in Cincinnati, so I am nervous about ordering. I am 5"3 so I don't want to fall back and drown in my sofa!! Again thanks for the help!

I'm afraid that at 5' 3", you're going to have a tough time finding the 'perfect' fit sofa. Most sofas are designed by men, and they're all about 6' 0" tall! As such, you'll be constantly bumping up against a 20" seat height average and a 20" seat depth average, which is going to leave your feet dangling. On the other hand, most women tend to pull their legs up and 'curl-up' in a sofa when there's not company around, so the marital decision is usually based on what feels the best fit to the man of the house.

The 866-95 has a seat height of 20.5" and seat depth of 21.5" for example, and the 581-95 is 21" in both seat height and depth.

I'm working on a custom build for a customer right now and both him and his wife are in the 5' 2" to 5' 4" height range so we're taking a Hancock and Moore Metro Sofa # 4390 (19" seat height, 20" seat depth) and making it so that both the seat height and depth are at 18". That's going to fit them, and the custom charge was nominal. (B-Y will not custom dimension). So give some thought about sizing, watch those two dimensions if ordering long distance, etc.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Great info about B-Y.

In looking though the various "flagship" B-Y line sofas, I notice that some sofa styles, i.e. 660-95 DIETRICH STATIONARY SOFA 8-WAY TIE, specifically state "8-WAY TIE", but other styles such as Style 595-95 GEORGIAN BAY STATIONARY SOFA do not. Confused? Me, too. I am inclined to believe that if it does not say "8-way tie" it has some other spring configuration. What's correct?

Additionally, almost all(?) their leather sofas show nail trim. Can you order a sofa without nail trim? Surcharge?

Some of their sofas also are shown with throw pillows. Are these included in the price? If so, do you have a choice in throw pillow style, leather, fabric, color, etc.?

We await our great leader's knowledge and wisdom