Thread: Seeking H & M sofa advice

dunlapnc Guest

Default Seeking H & M sofa advice

Hello Forum. I am a new poster, having discovered the Forum during a search for info on a sofa I am considering, and I would appreciate input. While the quoted price was momentarily staggering, I believe that this will likely be my last, so why not, right? Anyway, here is the gist: H and M Tower sofa (4196), and here is my question: is it reasonable/practical to have it in lambskin? The samples I reviewed are vast (overwhelming, really), and I really wanted something soft and warm to the touch. My old sofa has glazed leather upholstery, and I've never liked the slick, cold feel of it. The lambskin is divine!
    There is only one dealer within 125 miles of my location, so it is not likely I'll be able to see one before I order it.
    And the sofa itself, with a salute to Deco, is just funky enough for me.
    I would be grateful for any suggestions. And many thanks!

Default Re: Seeking H and M sofa advice

<moved post to LEATHER category>

I don't think I'd do a Tower Sofa in Lambskin. Its a rather fragile hide with no protective topcoat whatsoever other than a very light teflon finish. It super-soft, and wonderful to sit in, but its difficult to keep clean. So ultimately it comes down to your lifestyle, but if you want to take a cup of coffee to the sofa, or eat snacks on it, then Lambskin is not what you should buy as you'll be battling staining issues. Also, these are - as the name implies - from Lambs! So their hides are not nearly as large as a cow. That means a lot more sewing and piecing along the back, and there's a good change the seat and back cushions on the Tower would have to have middle seam on each cushion. If I haven't talked you out of it yet, then one thing to consider would be to do the seating and inner arm area only in the lambskin and the outer arm and outside back in a fabric or a less costly leather. That would keep both the price and pieced-up look more reasonable.

If you want a near-lambskin experience, get the Grade 4 Quintessence leather. Its as soft and as supple as a piece of leather can get, and though not a fully protected leather its a lot more durable in daily use than lambskin, and you won't have pieced-up cushions with it, either.
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-06-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dunlapnc Guest

Default Re: Seeking H & M sofa advice

Many thanks for your wise counsel. I shall go back tomorrow armed with information. I'll post again with results. Kind regards!

Riddle Guest

Be sure to get leather samples and stain them with anything that you might think would come near your sofa. I used a dot of butter to simulate body oils. Over a 6 week period much of it disbursed on the Quintessence, but it's still slightly visible.

Quintessence is my favorite leather based on feel, but I'm not willing to get rid of my husband and my cats. By the way, the cats always lie on the surface with the best "feel". They all preferred the Quintessence samples. I chose Capri, which was much more forgiving.

dunlapnc Guest

Good to know, and thanks. We are sans-animals, at least for the present, but the dogs were never permitted on furniture. I never knew them to cheat; they would have thought it rude. I really appreciate the suggestion regarding butter on the samples. Did you try coffee or tea as well?

Riddle Guest

Since I just happen to have a cup of tea at hand, I dipped my finger in and dribbled a drop (not a big slosh) on Quintessence (saddle) and Capri (butternut). Neither soaked in instantly. I blotted with a terry towel. I can't see or feel where the drop was on Capri, but I can on Quintessence. It's fading as it dries, but I do see a watermark on the edges.

dunlapnc Guest

Many thanks. I'm off to the store.