Thread: H & M Recliners

Hybrid View

LisaMarieSS Guest

Question H & M Recliners

Hi Duane,
    This is my first post, and I am hoping you can help me.
    We are looking at buying 2 (probably leather) recliners from H&M. I am concerned about leather because I have lots of chemical sensitivities. Also, I read on the home forum about the hides coming from China. Did I also read correctly that in June the hides will come from the USA?
    There is no H&M showroom around us that I know of, and we would be ordering these from a reputable furniture store locally. One of my other concerns is that I am 5'1" and hubby is 6'2". I am very hesitant about paying this much for recliners that neither of us have sat in. We really wanted them to match (for Living Room decor purposes). We also have room size restrictions, and I would like them to be fairly narrow (30-31") Would you have a recommendation about how we can select one?
    It is not that the furniture store is not helpful, but I am finding them hard to communicate with.
    Any knowledge you can spare for me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

McCall Guest

Duane,
    aren't there some models that come in large and small as it were? same chair different dimensions. that might be an option here.

As I've posted elsewhere, leathers come from all around the world, and H&M is no different then any other company and will buy Chinese hides as well. Most notably the Document and Cavalier series as well as Columbia. To go into better hides that are not from China, look at leathers such as Weston, Antelope, and Equestrian.

There are very few hides coming from the USA, mainly because the leather tanning process itself is an EPA nightmare. Nasty chemicals are uses with a large amount of waste water necessary and although Boston MA was the world leader in hide tanning for many years, the process was taken mostly overseas when attention was focused on waterway pollution back in the 60's. In the H&M lineup the only one that I believe that is USA sourced is "Supple". H&M does buy some raw skins and then color them on-site, many of the 'hand-antiqued' ones are like that.

As far as chemical sensitivities I think you will find that almost all upholstery has a plethora of things in them that might cause you concern, from the batting used in the wrap of the wood to the cushion core interiors, there's lot of petroleum based products in ANY piece of upholstery. Specific to leather hides, while the anilines are the finest leathers they will also smell more like leather. You may want to look at hides that have heavier topcoats on them, that 'seal' in some of the odors. Weston is a glazed leather that has few smells and that hide comes out of Germany.

I can say with confidence that all the H&M recliners are comfortable, but to find a matching set that fits both your 6'2" husband and your 5' 1" frame is not going to be. Sorry. What fits you will be too short for him and what he likes will make you feel like you're lost in the chair. Tall men want head and neck support and ladies like to be able to put their feet on the ground when the chair is not reclined.

I'd suggest contrast them. For you, look at Leathercraft models # 297-07 and the 237-07. Both of these are made specifically for a woman your size.

http://leathercraft-furniture.com/in...97_07_recliner

For your husband's size, check out the Sadler and the Miller Recliners at H&M. Top sellers for men his size.

Rather than making a match, get each in a different color leather and enjoy the difference in the look.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

LisaMarieSS Guest

Default Reply to Duane

Thank you for that information Duane. I am trying to find your previous posts about the leather and their treatments. If we are offered grade 2 or 3 for the recliner in our price range, does that equate to the 'type' of leather, for instnace, is grade 3 an aniline? Is there a chart somewhere that shows those equivalanets and the countries the leather comes from.
    I am already dreading getting new furniture because of ALL the different substnaces it is composed of that you mentioned. I wanted more down, but I guess most of the recliners don't even offer that.
    Right now I am looking at the recliner you suggested, and the Higgens, for my hubby. I am interested in the Founders for myself. Do you know if that is suitable for a person my size? (I see what you mean about two matching being unrealistic for our sizes)
    Thank you again for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaMarieSS View Post
    . If we are offered grade 2 or 3 for the recliner in our price range, does that equate to the 'type' of leather, for instance, is grade 3 an aniline?

No, it does not. The Grade of the hide is strictly a pricing grade, not a leather type. However, since aniline hides are the most expensive, most of then will be grade III and grade IV leathers.

Is there a chart somewhere that shows those equivalents and the countries the leather comes from.

I'm afraid there is not. H&M and all the leather makers are reluctant to provide that. To get that information requires your dealer to know the hides, and on my part I have to call them if I don't a hide source from experience and have a customer inquiry on it. Realistically there are two reasons for that, one is that many of the hides come from China and surrounding Pacific Rim countries, and they are well aware of the backlash against sourcing materials from these countries (in my opinion). However those hides are a large part of their business, and customer are often reluctant to spend the additional money for European or New Zealand leathers.

The other is that a hide such as H&M's Kipling is done by an Italian company that has a satellite operation in China. Some batches of Kipling come from Italy, others from their China operation and it varies by batch. In a World Economy, hides can be moved around and partially processed from one country then moved to the next. At the end of the day, rely on your dealer to provide you with that information if you want to exclude Pacific Rim countries from your leather selection.

I am already dreading getting new furniture because of ALL the different substances it is composed of that you mentioned. I wanted more down, but I guess most of the recliners don't even offer that.

H&M does, you just have to spec it as an option, Ultra Down seats and backs are available on their recliners. While VERY comfy, its does move the hide around more and will result in more hairline 'usage' wear cracks over time as the piece ages. Also, the down in the back can sag a little over time (at the ten year mark for example). Not terribly, but it can occur.

Right now I am looking at the recliner you suggested, and the Higgens, for my hubby. I am interested in the Founders for myself. Do you know if that is suitable for a person my size? (I see what you mean about two matching being unrealistic for our sizes)

The Higgins is going to be too large for you, I think you'll find yourself 'swimming' in it. Here's the three best H&M Recliners I think you will find that will suit you personally based on your height:

# 7079 Hutchinson
    # 7036 Founders
    # 7034 Theater

Thank you again for your response.
    Glad to help! Please consider my store as a mail order option as well if you choose to go that route. Helps me defer the cost of this forum website to have a little business off it. Thanks!
    Duane Collie

LisaMarieSS Guest

Thanks again Duane, for all those answers. I know we are getting the Higgens for my husband, not sure for me yet. We are also looking into the reclining sofa now. We really do have limited space in the living room.

If you have space constraints, consider an Incliner Sofa rather than a Full Reclining sofa. On in Incliner, the footrest come up fully, but the back of the sofa does not really recline, it just shifts somewhat with the footrest mechanism on the lower 1/2 of the back cushion. Allows you to put the sofa right up against the wall that way.
    Duane Collie