Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying 2-3 sofas. Are these Good Quality? Fair Price?

thrlskr Guest

Default Buying 2-3 sofas. Are these Good Quality? Fair Price?

Hello. I'm new here and since this is about upholstered and leather furniture I hope the Lobby is an ok place to post.

My wife and I know almost nothing about furniture and I found this site by googling different furniture construction buzz words that I've encounter. This seemed to be the most knowledgeable community, so here I am.

I'm in the process of purchasing a home will need to furnish it. First on our list is are coaches. I'm the worst type of customer, picky and on a budget.

We liked these models, are they of good quality and price?

Light sectional: $1899 (normally $1999)
    http://www.havertys.com/Product_1104...resultCount=22

Red Coach: $649 (normally $699)
    http://www.havertys.com/Product_31118

Leather Sectional: $3199 (normally $3499)
    http://www.havertys.com/Product_30201

I'm also considering this one instead of the last one in that list:
    Leather Sectional #2: ($3000)

http://www.bernhardt.com/upholsteryD...1992L,%201991L

Any assistance you can provide will be appreciated. I will check back (I know how some newbs ask and never return.)

Best,
    Nick

Sarah Guest

Default Re: Buying 2-3 sofas. Are these Good Quality? Fair Price?

My parents own that last Bernhardt sectional. They are on a very tight budget and after extensive searching, they decided that it was the best sofa within their price range.
    They have only had it for a few months and it only receives occasional use so I cannot comment on longevity but so far, they are pleased with their purchase.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

I have the leather sectional from Havertys in our second floor all purpose napping, tv watching office. We love it. I bought from John Paul at the Havertys store in Columbus Ohio. Havertys have a very limited delivery area. I live 120 miles from Columbus. I had to arrange my own deliver. There was several areas damaged that was only obvious after it was carried upstairs and unwrapped.
    Havertys ordered me a replacement. I had to pay for the return and again for the delivery to my home. The added cost to this purchase was about a thousand dollars.
    Before I had the good fortune to see this site, buying furniture from my location has always been a crap shoot. I would advise you to go with the HANCOCK & MOORE and purchase thru Duane.

thrlskr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    My parents own that last Bernhardt sectional. They are on a very tight budget and after extensive searching, they decided that it was the best sofa within their price range.
    They have only had it for a few months and it only receives occasional use so I cannot comment on longevity but so far, they are pleased with their purchase.
    Thanks Sarah. That make me feel better.

thrlskr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MRSSQRDAWAY View Post
    I have the leather sectional from Havertys in our second floor all purpose napping, tv watching office. We love it. I bought from John Paul at the Havertys store in Columbus Ohio. Havertys have a very limited delivery area. I live 120 miles from Columbus. I had to arrange my own deliver. There was several areas damaged that was only obvious after it was carried upstairs and unwrapped.
    Havertys ordered me a replacement. I had to pay for the return and again for the delivery to my home. The added cost to this purchase was about a thousand dollars.
    Before I had the good fortune to see this site, buying furniture from my location has always been a crap shoot. I would advise you to go with the HANCOCK & MOORE and purchase thru Duane.
    It seems that you love the Haverty sectional that I like. Is it only because of the delivery issue that you suggest Hancock & Moore instead?

thrlskr Guest

Hmmn...I just realized that Duane is also this site's proprietor and owns a furniture store in my town. I think I'll be paying him a visit.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

I suggested you go with a Hancock & Moore sofa. My Havertys sectional has required every seat and back cushion replaced in less that a year. The burnished finish has almost completely rubbed off... on our clothing.. The labels on it read "made in Mexico." I say I love it as it still sits very comfortable, but looks like it is 40 years old in less than two. This is not a piece of furniture I would put in a public area of my home. I must add again that it is only used by my husband and myself in an upstairs room of our home. We are almost 70 years old and use our furniture very gently.
    In case I did not make it clear, The Havertys sectional is not worth the more than 4 thousand dollars it cost me. If I had know about Duanes online store I would have bought H&M.

thrlskr Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MRSSQRDAWAY View Post
    I suggested you go with a Hancock & Moore sofa. My Havertys sectional has required every seat and back cushion replaced in less that a year. The burnished finish has almost completely rubbed off... on our clothing.. The labels on it read "made in Mexico." I say I love it as it still sits very comfortable, but looks like it is 40 years old in less than two. This is not a piece of furniture I would put in a public area of my home. I must add again that it is only used by my husband and myself in an upstairs room of our home. We are almost 70 years old and use our furniture very gently.
    In case I did not make it clear, The Havertys sectional is not worth the more than 4 thousand dollars it cost me. If I had know about Duanes online store I would have bought H&M.
    I'd really appreciate a photo of the the rubbed off finish if you can manage. I took my wife to Duane's store yesterday. Though, she did feel that the furniture was of better quality she found the Hancock couches less comfortable, and doesn't feel like its worth the added expense.

Thanks,

Nick
    Last edited by thrlskr; 01-16-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: replaced comfort was inferior to less comfortable.

zyp222 Guest

We have been looking for a new sofa and came across this site after our local higher-end furniture store suggested an H&M. I have two different stories regarding the Bernhardt. First, I purchased a Bernhardt couch that was very nice and fairly expensive, a couple of thousand dollars. When it was new it looked beautiful and very, very comfortable. After about a year of normal use the cushions became flat and not so nice anymore. We had purchased the extended warranty and a furniture repair shop came out and added down filling, and fixed a slight problem with the front of the frame and it was beautiful again. Now a couple of years later the same problem with the cushions. It is painful to even look at. It looks worse than the couch on the other side of the room that was less than half the cost. After looking at replacement cushions cost, we decided to make the investment and buy a new H&M leather sofa. Secondly, when we were at our local store, which also carries Bernhardt, they have a beautiful leather floor model with a frame problem. The owner told us "the frame just broke" in the middle. They had it professionally repaired and are selling deeply discounted, as is, with that disclosure of course. Even though it looks beautiful and priced right, I wouldn't take it if it was free. The owner of the store said if you are looking for a quality leather sofa, you should be looking at H&M, and they carry many lines of higher quality sofas.

MRSSQRDAWAY Guest

[QUOTE=thrlskr;9137]I'd really appreciate a photo of the the rubbed off finish if you can manage. I took my wife to Duane's store yesterday. Though, she did feel that the furniture was of better quality she found the Hancock couches less comfortable, and doesn't feel like its worth the added expense.

Thanks,

NICK
    My email address is MRSSQRDAWAY@AOL.COM
    please email me so I can send pictures of the Havertys sectional to you.
    I have not been able to upload them to this site. I have not been able to get e-mail to Duane for days. I received my Hancock & Moore ENVELOP #4845, ANTELOPE NUGGET, Sunday morning by SUN DELIVERY.It is beautiful, very elegant and so comfortable.
    I took picture of the delivery from the time the sofa was taken off the truck until the guys set it in place in my living room.