Thread: Use two XL twins instead of king?

green-minded Guest

Default Use two XL twins instead of king?

I have friends that got two XL twins instead of a king because one of them tosses a lot during the night. They seem to be happy with their selection. Do you think it's a good idea, or would it be better to get memory foam or another type of bed that doesn't transfer motion as much?

I personally like the dual Twin XL method for the mattress ONLY when the design of the house prevents a standard King mattress from going up the stairs. If the matt will physically go into the bedroom, its a better choice as otherwise there is always a 'crack' in the bed, even after being tied together with a high quality mattress pad.

Roll values are controlled mostly by the box spring. The solution is to get a high quality box spring, which is often not easy to find. The problem? The consumer doesn't want to pay for it, so what they get instead is a cheap box spring, with a few coils placed inside that does very little.

I sleep on a Royal-Pedic box and matt, and elected to spring for the optional 8-way hand-tied box spring (the best they make) for that very reason. My wife could do sit-ups over on her side of the bed (Queen size) and I'd barely feel the movement. That's what a quality box spring does.

The only way to buy a new bedding set is to take your partner with you and test out the bed, with both of you on it. Yes, I know you feel stupid doing that, but ignore the other people in the store and lay together on the bed and rather then trying to see how 'comfortable' it is by laying still, take note of the roll values of the bed as you make normal re-positioning movements on the bedding. Don't rush, spend ten to fifteen minutes atop the mattress and take your time.

I only sell one brand of bedding in my store and its Royal-Pedic. To date, I've not had a single dissatisfied customer on the brand, though cost may be higher than some want to spend.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

green-minded Guest

We put our mattress and box spring on the floor the other day (long story) and notice much less disturbance from each other. This seems to imply that a firmer box spring, or one with solid support underneath, reduces the roll value. Do the more expensive box springs have much firmer coils?

I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that you have to spend such big bucks to get a comfortable, low-motion bed.

hurriap Guest

The idea of having you and your wife together testing out the bedding set is very important, nothing embarrassing. If all of a personal taste if you would like memory foam, simply go to the store and try all of them and see which one you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by green-minded View Post
    We put our mattress and box spring on the floor the other day (long story) and notice much less disturbance from each other. This seems to imply that a firmer box spring, or one with solid support underneath, reduces the roll value. Do the more expensive box springs have much firmer coils?

I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that you have to spend such big bucks to get a comfortable, low-motion bed.
    Yes, if you place your matts on the floor, you're not going to see much disturbance from your partner as they're on a rock-hard surface. It that appeals to you, then skip the box spring and get a European style Platform bed, as that's exactly what they are. However, you're giving up quite a bit in the 'suspension' department.

Box springs are like automotive shock absorbers, they allow flex thereby increasing comfort levels. However, just like car shocks, if they don't absorb and transfer the movements but rather direct them back at the force that created them, you're going to feel that disturbance. Its not about stiffer coils, because without some form of dampening that does nothing but put the force of movement back at you. An 8-way hand-tied coil box spreads that force throughout the base of the box spring. To make a good box requires time and material, no way around it. You just have to decide what particular bed suits you for the money you are willing to pay.

I know in my case, I figure I spend close to 350 nights a year in my bed x 15 years (bedding lifespan) = 5,250 sleep nights. If my Royal Pedic with the 8-way hand-tied box and 3" topper costs me $ 4,000, thats .76 a night to sleep well, far less than the cost of a cup of coffee or a soda, per day and certainly worth it to me and my wife.
    Duane Collie

McCall Guest

Actually Duane that is only .38 each per night LOL

Quote Originally Posted by McCall View Post
    Actually Duane that is only .38 each per night LOL
    No way! I know my math skills are bad....but they're not THAT bad! (or are they?) $ 4,000 divided by 5,250 equals .76190.

How are you figuring it, McCall?
    Duane Collie

Default Re: Use two XL twins instead of king?

I'm coming late to this one, but.... He was dividing by two (you and your wife, 38 cents each). I mean, you sell really comfortable sofas, but....