Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new computer chair

tattoo Guest

Default A new computer chair

My current computer chair is falling apart and I am looking for a new replacement.
    Majority of my work is done at my computer so suffice to say it needs to be comfortable and has excellent back support.

Any suggestions?

Riddle Guest

Default Re: A new computer chair

I'm partial to the Aeron. Comfy, well ventilated and easy to adjust. It comes in at least 3 sizes, so there's a good chance that you can find one that fits your body.

harland Guest

My current workplace purchased Humanscale Liberty task chairs for us. No complaints here!

This is what I have at both my work office and home office. I like it enough to have two of them.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1141
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

I have a Leap chair by Steelcase. Seems like infinite options are available. I've found it extraordinarily comfortable in front of my computer for the last 10 years now.

http://www.steelcase.com/en/products.../overview.aspx

tattoo Guest

Thank you for your your suggestions. A lot of variety out there.

kenelson Guest

Duane,

Is the arm height adjustable on this model? Looking at the picture, I can't figure out how to adjust the arm height, but it seems to quote a range of heights. I'm getting a bit tired of my cheapo $150 chair from a big office supply place and have been spending enough time working at home to want something nicer. I would need to have one that locks into a very straight back, as well as tilts, as my work involves looking through a microscope much of the time.

I really like the looks of this and a couple other of the H&M models, but need the adjustable arms (or at least high arms...) and straight locking back for my work needs. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

THanks,
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    This is what I have at both my work office and home office. I like it enough to have two of them.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/produ...productid=1141

Keith,

The entire chairs goes up and down on a pneumatic strut, but the arms are not adjustable on any of the H&M office chairs (or other brands such as Leathercraft, Southwood and Bradington Young). The strut will let you height adjust, and then there is a lockout to keep the chair from rocking backwards if you choose to want to lock it out. You can adjust the forward tilt by a spring-loaded large knob under the chair, but that's mostly something you do when its new its set it once - then forget it.

These are not inexpensive chairs though. Appx. $ 1,500 and up depending on leather. I've been real happy with mine - obviously - because I have two of the same model, one at work and one at home. My first one broke after 15 years daily use (office) and rather than replace the base it was time for a new one, so the one I have at my store desk is about 1 year old now. I'm constantly at that computer at office and home and this is the best chair I've found for the way I like to sit. There are fancier-looking chairs for sure, but this one works best for me in comfort and utility.
    Duane Collie

kenelson Guest

THanks for the reply and the information, Duane. The arms are what i thought, then. I'll have to try one out and see how it would work for me, since the lack of adjustability might make it less functional for me. Price wasn't really an issue, since I figure if I'm going to upgrade a chair that I spend a good 300-500 hours a year sitting & working in and we have the money to do it, I might as well go with something that will be comfortable and good looking...

THanks,
    Keith

That might be a difficult one to find on a dealer's sales floor, its not often stocked. If you're around the Wash DC area, you are more than welcome to come see the one I have at my desk in the store, its in Upton Cafe Leather (GR 2).
    Duane Collie