Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Requesting a Price Quote

Default Requesting a Price Quote

Here's some tips to use when requesting a price quote be it from my store or anyone else for that matter. These speed the process along and realize that while you are asking for just one quote, as a dealer I have twenty a day to do, so helping ME save time will mean I get to your email or PM quicker:

* Use the model number, not the name. All price books are coded to the model number, so when you say 'Can I Get a Price for the Austin Chair in GR2?' Well - there are eleven different ways to make an Austin chair, each with a different price and no dealer can read your mind as to which one you are referring to. However, If you say "Price on a 2038NB in GR2", then I know exactly what you are looking for.

* You can't get a complete quote without shipping/delivery figured in. To do that please supply CITY/STATE/ZIP. Don't just supply a Zip Code, because no dealer has them all memorized and we have to go to the internet to look up the city and state. That takes time.

* What are you buying? Freight/Delivery is based on total weight. For a dealer to quote it, we have to know specifically the models you are interested in. Typically one must get the weights on each unit and compute the entire order so if you want accuracy in the quote then be specific as to which pieces and quantity the order will encompass.

* Be reasonable in your price requests. Most all requests have to be figured up one at a time, and computed on a calculator. To ask for prices on twenty items in five grades of leather means ONE HUNDRED calculations. Even working quickly that's about 20 minutes to do that. Do you really need all those prices?

* Realize that short answers are the norm. There is a very large volume of requests and to be able to respond to all of them in a day requires brevity in the reply.

Thanks!
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

2. 08-07-2012

Vegas Guest

Default Re: Requesting a Price Quote

Hi Duane. Your forum is beyond fantastic. I have learned more on the forum than with any sales person anywhere. Also, I want to compliment you on your business ethics, just incredible in furniture retail.

zheng Guest

Duane, I've done a lot of price quotes with you before and I think you are great. and I actually assumed it must be an easy job. Seems that I was wrong. I thought HM must provide every dealer a price quoting system, which should be just an very easy database. when you need a quote, you can just enter model number and leather grade, and a price comes up, and the system should allow you do multi entry at one time (say, one model, multiple grades, or multiple models and multi-grades), and a list of price will just show up. something like those online mortgage calculator.

Seems you don't have that system, and you have to look up a real book for price, and calculate by a calculator. that's too outdated! I could imagine how inefficient that would be since you probably receive a lot of requests every day.

You know what, if HM doesn't give you a system like that, you should be able to build one by yourself in Excel, using the formula function. Access will be able to build a more user friendly and convenient database, but it's a little more difficult.

Thanks!

Yes, each quote I had to look up in a Wholesale book by item number (not name), then leather or fabric grade, then take that number and put on a factor multiplier for margin via a desk calculator, and then type in a reply. It takes about 1 minute per lookup and to type it. So, when I get someone that lists 10 sofas and wants grade 1 through 5, that 50 minutes of work and that's from someone who I might never hear from again - I have to decline to do that from a time management perspective and I know that a lot of folks don't understand that. I have to compute freight the same way. And that's if they have everything in order (Item numbers, leather grades, address for shipping) Multiply that and by 10 per day and suddenly you've spend half your workday doing that. I still have a brick and mortar store to run as well and do all the bookkeeping and store arrangements plus truck loading /unloading so the hours run out in a day before the work does. (my # 1 pet peeve is people emailing me for quotes and then call me on the phone because I haven't replied immediately - that makes me crazy!)

I have asked repeatedly for a spreadsheet in EXCEL from all my suppliers, They don't have one, just the price book they mail us. With 1,500 items, and 5 leather grades and 13 fabric ones plus COL and COM that 28,000 data entries that I can't do! No time, and no money to hire it done. And that's just Hancock and Moore....a I have other suppliers as well.

One day it will progress beyond this, but its an old school industry that is not flush with cash and where the Fax machine is still the most used piece of equipment between dealer and supplier. How 90's is that? LOl
    Last edited by drcollie; 05-02-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    Duane Collie

zheng Guest

Oh, my. this is kind of funny. I bet they must have that excel or other any sort of electronic database (which can mostly be switched to excel) if they can print it out as a book. They just don't want to do business in that way, I guess, just like one of my colleague's parents, refusing any credit cards and even ATM card, but insist to pay their grocery in a writing check.

Do we PM you for a price quote, or just post a thread?

You can do it in the forum or PM, either way. I no longer do H&M price quotes in writing (but will do so via phone) - so any Hancock & Moore piece will be quoted at MSRP.
    Duane Collie

DecoratingDiva Guest

Hi Duane- I'm new to the forum but I'm thankful someone recommended you! We are looking for a quality sectional and found the Taylor King Brentwood sectional. Based on the details I have, we would need several pieces: 8910-21 LAF, two of item 8910-10, 8910-20, 8910-22 RAF. We were considering two fabrics, level 18 and level 22. We would also like the 1/2" old gold nails on the sectional. We live in a small town north of Houston, Tx. Please let me know if there are any additional details needed for an estimate. Thank you!

PM Sent
    Duane Collie

gkholdridge Guest

It has been awhile and I apologize for not posting a million thanks for your assistance and follow up back in 2011. I ordered H&M 9840 and 9839 City Sofa and Loveseat in a gorgeous Aspen Saddle leather. You had it delivered to the Northwoods, Lac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin and it has made our lake house a home. We are impressed with the quality and the leather still looks like new. At the time I lived in Maryland and had the good fortune to be able to go to your store. We were transferred to the Los Angeles area and miss you and your store. I seem to recall reading your post awhile ago regarding the changing regulations on internet sales. I'm guessing the H&M price quotes no longer in writing are the result. I don't know if it is advantageous to order through you when having to ship to California. I would like to purchase a 9840 City Sofa and 9839 City Loveseat in a fabric grad G for the California residence. When is a good time to call for pricing?
    Thank you
    Grace