Thread: New and don't know much

newstuff Guest

Default New and don't know much

Hello,
    I am new to furniture shopping. I have some old furniture--mainly Henredon, that has broken down a bit. Don't know if I can afford what I am looking at, or should try to get the sofa rebuilt where it is sort of broken (sitting sagging).
    I have Williamsburg tables, and didn't want to go too formal, as this is den furniture.
    But, would like quality (as much as I can afford). Of course, H&M is very appealing to me. There are so many choices. What style sofa would you buys first look at, and what leather for daily wear, maybe involving cats?
    Thanks

Default Re: New and don't know much

Most sofas are not worth repairing that are that far gone. Sagging is usually caused by failure of the base webbing which is attached to the frame, and the springs ride atop that webbing. It requires a full take-down of the sofa to the bare wood frame and new webbing, the the springs have to be reset, tied, new cushions, etc. Basically everything is new but the wood frame - and if that frame is plywood then its definitely not worth a repair. If you have an heirloom solid wood frame that's from a period piece, then its worth doing, but relatively modern furniture the cost to repair will exceed the cost of a new piece.

All leather is durable, and no leather is going to stand up to claws from a determined pet - longevity of the cover is really determined by sunlight exposure and how well you keep it clean and conditioned. H&M is a top level product, and the least expensive sofa in the line is the # 9840 City Sofa in the two married cover leathers. You can get that one for a little over $ 2k....and they go up from there.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

newstuff Guest

Thank you for your reply.
    I've been looking at the leathers. What makes you like the Kipling class 2? (I was reading another of your replies.) Is it color, softness? I'm still confused as to what the classes mean.... Does unprotected mean it will be softer, but easier to damage?
    My sofa will not be exposed to direct sun. I'm looking for something in a red-rose, possibly, as my rug is blue green (deep), my walls are honey-colored red oak. Most of my furniture is cherry. THanks for your help. Eventually, I want a sofa and three chairs. I've saved my plan in your planner as cats22/cats222 file.
    Also, it looks my doors will only be 2' 6" if lucky (old house). Do the feet come off to get it in the door, or does H&M make a smaller sofa? Actually, I may have a door that is almost 34", but, if I stick quilt there, like you suggest, it would be iffy.
    I hope these questions are not too out of the way or presumptive. Please forgive me. I'm just starting to learn. The nearest showroom is over an hour away, so, I'm trying to gather as much knowledge and thoughts before traveling.
    Thank you so much for this forum and all your help.
    Last edited by newstuff; 02-04-2011 at 01:41 PM.

I like Kipling because its a price grade 2 (relatively low on the price list) yet has rich colors, is an aniline, shows natural markings and looks more costly than it is. It has a slightly waxy surface and was really one of the few good-looking GR 2 hides until the new ones of this past summer arrived (Atticus, Lucas, Ryan, Yardley, Upton, Milan).

"Unprotected" means it doesn't have a clear protective topcoat, just a light teflon finish and is naturally waxy. There are different levels of 'unprotected' as well, Kipling happens to be pretty resilient. I have it on my # 1044 Sadler Recliner at home which is now three years old and we have no stains or flaws on it - it has held up exceptionally well. Our Westie pup sleeps in that chair every night, and he hasn't bothered the leather or caused it to discolor at all.

There are quite a few leathers in the H&M line up that will be in that color frame. Best thing to do is look at the leathers either on their website, or here on the forum (LEATHER: RESOURCE PHOTOS: HANCOCK & MOORE) and pick out a dozen. Send me the list via email or PM, and you'll get samples free of charge.

H&M makes a whole range of sofas. All will go through a 36" doorway and 85 % of the line will go through a 34" Doorway. When we get down to 30" in egress you are going to be more limited. The top seller in the line - the # 9840 City - will go through a 30" door. Most legs do NOT come off the sofas at H&M, though some can be modified to do so at time of order.

Glad to answer any and all questions - that's what the forum is all about! Ask away.....
    Duane Collie

newstuff Guest

Wow! Thank you so much!!!!! I hope to go next week and see a real, live H & M sofa next week, weather permitting. I know they are having a sale at that store, and, maybe I can afford a leather one. Otherwise, I'm thinking of an upholstered one with a matching leather chair.
    Here is a picture of some I know they have on sale. Are these City'S, do you think?

newstuff Guest

I think these two are really pretty, but, I don't know if they are both in my range....

Yes, that's a 9840 City Sofa in Cavalier Henna, part of the Town and Country Collection. You might be shocked what you can buy that for, well under the amount I see on that price tag I see hanging on the sofa. PM me for a quote if you like.
    Duane Collie

newstuff Guest