Thread: Choosing a H&M Sofa, Love Seat and Ottoman

dimako Guest

Default Choosing a H&M Sofa, Love Seat and Ottoman

Hello, long time lurker but first time poster. We are looking to get a new H&M sofa, loveseat and chair with ottoman. However, having hard time putting the whole room together.
    Family room 13'9"x17'10", one end opens to the kitchen, see the attachment.
    Floor is a traditional oak, no stain on it. Walls color is 'June Day' by Sherwin Williams. It is soft and warm yellow kind.
    We went to see our local dealer, but it is Stickley and they tried gently pushing us towards of their own.
    Anyway, we went through the store and found we liked these 2; one being 1529 Gallagher in Tiburon Butternut and another being 8138NB Austin High back Sofa. As the colors go:
    Kipling Whiskey, Class 2 unProtected
    Tiburon Butternut, Class 3 unProtected
    Luggage Russett, Class4 protected [wife says it is too dark though]
    Loveseat and chair with ottoman are also available for both.
    We are not sure if getting sofa, loveseat and chair would clutter the room.
    Should we drop chair and ottoman and instead get 015SO Blanket Storage Boot Stool?
    Would like to keep the sofa at least a foot and a half away from the window.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FamilyRm.png 
Views:	360 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	2110

Thank you all

Riddle Guest

Default Re: H&M - need an advice

That's a lot of furniture for your room size - especially if you want 18 inches between the back of the sofa and the window.

Let's look at the math. You have 165" of width in the room. Let's say that the front of the media cabinet is 18" from the wall. That reduces your available width to 147". Reduce again for your window clearance = 129". Assuming you want the love seat perpendicular to the sofa, add the sofa depth and the love seat length. (109" G. or 107" A. if the pieces touch each other, which they shouldn't). That leaves a maximum of 20-22" for walk space. Less if you allow some space between the sofa and love seat. I'm having difficulty finding a place for a chair and ottoman.

Something else to consider is that it's rare for more than one person to sit on a love seat, unless they're little kids or very close to each other. I'm rather fond of ottomans. Place a tray on it, you have a coffee table. Remove the tray, you have extra seating.

dimako Guest

Default Re: H&M - need an advice

Thanks Riddle, interesting approach...
    The front of the media is about 26" from the wall actually.

Riddle Guest

Default Re: Choosing a H&M Sofa, Love Seat and Ottoman

What can I say? I revert to math as a backup of my spatial skills. Easier to explain. Your room is about a foot larger in each direction than my living room, so I have a pretty good idea of what will or won't fit without even measuring.

Furniture looks a lot bigger in a home than it does in the furniture store. I like floor plans drawn to scale for initial estimating. The next step is to buy a roll of brown craft paper from a big box store. It's the stuff you put down to protect your floor when your remodeling. You can cut and tape together pieces that will represent to floor space that the object of your desire will occupy. You'll still have to extrapolate what a 39" sofa back does visually compared to a 34" back, but at least you have the real walls and existing furniture in place and don't have to imagine them as well.

Is the TV going over the fireplace or staying in the media center area? Can you take two room shots (photos) and post them here? The 13' 9" width makes layout tricky....
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

dimako Guest

TV won't be over the fireplace. It will sit on the top of a nice Hardwood TV/component stand at 22", with a pair of free standing speakers on both sides. Total width taken by everything is about 10'. Which means the whole wall is busy.
    Followed Riddle's advice and tried to play with modeling. Came up with a decision that Sofa and loveseat won't be a good fit for our room.

Do you guys think that just a sofa with 015SO Blanket Storage Boot Stool would a better solution. Can this Blanket storage be used as a ottoman? and when needed as an additional seating place?
    Or should we get a sofa and a chair? My wife fell in love with this Blanket boot Stool, so if it could be used for seating we would prefer this instead of ottoman

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FamilyRm3.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	2112

Here's a quick layout I did of your room (not to scale). I think I'd consider a small sectional in there that would take these dimensions, something with not too high a back such as the H&M City Sectional so as not to block the windows any more than necessary. A sectional will give you more seating area than a sofa / chair and make the room more cozy, but you have to mind the size to not overwhelm the room. I'd really like to see actual room photos if possible, as it gives better sense of the presence of the room as a whole.

As you can see, I put the boot storage bench out in front of the sectional for use when watching TV. You *may* be able to get a small wooden chair in the opposite corner by the fireplace for occasional use, I can't tell if there's enough room there or not. A sofa table or bookcase on the back of the sectional (brown rectangle) gives you a place for a lamp or plants so you're looking at something other than the back of a sectional.
    Last edited by drcollie; 02-07-2011 at 07:09 PM.
    Duane Collie

dimako Guest

Thanks Duane,
    Like the idea of sectional. But we did not find City to our liking. We liked Austin better, felt it was more comfortable.
    If possible we prefer to stay with Austin. But what pieces need to be put together to get the shape you draw?
    One problem though, can't understand the logic behind getting left and right pieces together. In Austin sectional, 8133Nxxxxx .
    We are planning to put a bookcase in the corner next to the TV stand/media.
    Any other suggestions besides Austin sectional? to get the same shape and not to overwhelm the room

Thanks

The Austin Series is one of the comfort champs, for sure. Its available in a standard size and also a tall back version. You can build is as a 3-piece sectional (Sofa, Wedge, Loveseat) or they make it with the 1/2 the corner already joined to each sofa or loveseat segment. Building it as a 2-piece unit saves a fair amount of money, and usually gives a slightly tighter radius. Downside is that its more difficult to maneuver and deliver, so if egress is tight into the house you sometimes have to go with the 3-piece ones. The high back model is the King but its also going to give you more blockage of those windows, so give the back heights some thought while you lay out the room.

Next step is to scale it all out. Since you have the builder's sketch you can easily cut paper templates out and move them around, using the dimensions on the H&M website of the various pieces. Option 2 is to lay it out in the Icovia Room Planner (Free to Forum Members, look at the sticky at the top of the page in the DECORATING segment of the forum or simply go here:

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...a-Room-Planner
    Duane Collie