Thread: City Chair and Sofa Question

newstuff Guest

Default City Chair and Sofa Question

For any of you guys that own these pieces, I have a question.
    I sat in a city sofa and city chair yesterday, and I have a problem, in that I need the cushions to be a smidge shorter.I am 5'6". The city chair was too high, too, I felt like a little girl. I sat in a Journey chair--perfect, but, I failed to get what type of leather was covering it. I also sat on a Sherrill sofa and the height was 18"--that one fit me better, since my feet were flat on the floor.
    My question is, if I change leather from the Cavalier to Document, will the seat cushions be more forgiving, so I will sink more into the sofa/chair? or, perhaps, will the cushions flatten out a bit? I only weigh 120 lbs., so I felt like I was just perching on the chair, especially.
    Thank you.

Default Re: City Chair and Sofa Question

For ladies, the seat height measurement is critical. Both the City and the Journey are spec'd at 20" seat height. The leather selected won't make a difference, but you can get the H&M chair modified so that the seat height is 19" or even 18" high. Some custom charges will apply. The standard cushion is firmer than the optional ones. Perhaps going with an 18.5" Seat height and an Ultradown seat cushion would be just the ticket.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

newstuff Guest

Could I get that on both the sofa and chair, then?
    Thank you for your replies, they are really helping me!
    Thank you also for the samples you are sending me--I appreciate everything so much.

Sure! Hancock and Moore will build most anything the way YOU want it, not just the way it comes. It's real, handmade furniture (some heavily carved frames are imported and thus cannot be modified). To lower the seat height, some room - usually up to an inch - can be taken from the seat cushion material. To drop it more than an inch, then its best to go into the frame and modify that so that the seat cushion doesn't get too thin. This does require layout work and design/pattern changes, so you will have a custom charge but I think their custom charges are very fair. Be careful on mods. Yesterday I was speaking with one of my forum customers who added 2" in depth to a Lennon Sofa as a custom and he tells me he should probably not have done that as now its too deep for upright sitting (but great for napping on). Try them out, and consider mods carefully as they are not reversible.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.