Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Will it Fit?

Default Re: Will it Fit?

Here's something you can do at home to check clearances up and down stairs on large pieces. In this case, I have a customer who wants to order a $ 13,000 sectional and we want to make sure it fits up the steps of his home as best we can. He's 2,200 miles away from my store so we have to do all the measuring by photos and the like. So I suggested he get three boxes like this, tape them together and then with two people, one on each end, see if they can maneuver these empty boxes up the stairs. While this is not sure-fire, it will get pretty close to this sectional dimensions. And since the boxes are so light, this can be done easily and doesn't require a lot of strength to move around, unlike the real thing. Just a quick sketch on scrap paper...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boxes.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	7316
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

ampz1 Guest

Supposedly this company will send professionals out that can disassemble/reassemble furniture once it's in the location it needs to be in. How legitimate is it? Drcollie you have any insight on something like this? Here's the site: http://www.furnitureservices.com/

No idea...
    Duane Collie

Stick Guest

I really like the Sundance 7131 recliner and I think it will fit into my 30" door opening on a older house. I would like your opinion on this and is it possible. I sat in this chair at Nebraska Furniture Mart and fell in love with it since !

Thanks for your help !

If you can come into the doorway head-on with no right angle turns, you should be able to get one into a 30" Doorway. It *may* have to be turned sideways and opened up, which is a delicate operation that should be done with great care to avoid damaging the mechanism. It will take two guys that know what they are doing to get into the house.
    Duane Collie

Stick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    If you can come into the doorway head-on with no right angle turns, you should be able to get one into a 30" Doorway. It *may* have to be turned sideways and opened up, which is a delicate operation that should be done with great care to avoid damaging the mechanism. It will take two guys that know what they are doing to get into the house.
    Thank you for this info, fortunately it is a straight in with no turns.

One of the things I am going to do for my customers who may have clearance issues on thresholds, is include a # 2 Square Drive bit with your mailed receipt if your situation warrants removing the legs or feet of sofas. This is the industry standard for screws on legs, and most customers do not have these bits in their toolbox, nor do most delivery companies have them on the truck, either. Frequently a # 2 Phillips is used and that's the wrong bit. The Phillips can "cam out" the head of the screw and snap them off as well. So get the right tool for the job! These bits will fit any cordless drill or driver, or even a hand-held screwdriver designed to accept bits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6797.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	184.2 KB 
ID:	10248
    Last edited by drcollie; 10-12-2017 at 05:18 PM.
    Duane Collie

KarlyD Guest

Duane-
    Hey great forum. I am looking to order your h and m authors chair and ottoman and want to make sure it will fit through my door. The opening is 33.5 inches wide 81.5 inches tall and straight in. There is a space on the left side of the door (facing the house). That space is 43 inches long and 49 inches wide if they have to turn. Thanks-Karly

you are good to go.
    Duane Collie

Can the Austin high back sofa fit through a 34" door frame? It's a straight shot from the street through the front door to the family room so the front door frame should be my only issue.