Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Will it Fit?

Default Re: Will it Fit?

A high back Austin 8138 will go through 34" the feet are removable (three square drive screws per foot) it need be. It may or many not go through with the feet on, but certainly will with them removed.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

It's pretty neat to find an actual discussion that dissects this common concern down to the nuts and bolts. I had always just considered it luck as far as whether I could get a sofa to wrap it's way through stairwells and doorways, but it definitely seems like a good idea to give it some thought before you have it sitting there in front of you. Also, if there is a concern about rub-marks, in the past I've used a blanket or some kind of plastic sheet as a buffer to avoid them. It does make an already difficult lift even more cumbersome, but can be worth it in the end.

It's difficult to take a sofa through the interior when it's wrapped. We prefer to carry them bare and instead use specialized pads with clamp springs imbedded into the pads to grab onto door openings and then ones for staircase bannisters. The key is to go slow and have two men who know what they are doing and working in harmony together. However, sometimes physics says "you can't do this" and we do run into that from time to time. That's why when customers are looking to purchase larger pieces I always ask the width of the openings into the space.

And sometime we can make things fit. This is currently being built for a customer in New York City who has an apartment with a narrow door opening and no swing room. There was a custom charge to do this, however it is reasonable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Custom AVA.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	12688
    Last edited by drcollie; 01-24-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    Duane Collie

Thanks for the insight on the wrapping. It does sound like your techniques are an expert way of handling tight situations. Having two guys who know what they're doing, and who work well together really does make things possible, too. And, like you said, physics has the final word, so it's good to acknowledge physical limitations beforehand.

Hi, This is my first time ever posting on a forum. I hope I am in the right place. I am trying to find a power reclining, comfortable love seat for my Dad. The only catch is his doorway seems too narrow for many styles. I saw you had listed information on getting furniture in the house and how to figure out what will fit, so I am hoping you can help. The loveseat he was looking at is Signature Design by Ashley 5380474 W 63" x D 43" x H 40". His doorway is 80" H x 30 3/4 W. The front door leads into a foyer. There is approx. 8' from the front door straight ahead to the staircase on the right but there is also a hallway to the left of the stairs. Once inside the door, there is 21 3/4" on the L and 23 1/2" on the R with a large opening to the living room approx. 4' in from the front door on the L.
    Will the shipper be able to get this loveseat in the front door? He has a sofa in there now but it is narrower than what he wants to purchase. Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can provide!

Thanks!

Lou Ellen

Hi Lou Ellen, yes you are in the right place.

First, let me say that Ashley furniture is some of the worst build quality I have ever seen. Think twice on that unit.

I don't think any dual recliner unit is going through a 30.75" doorway.

What I would recommend is to buy a higher quality unit then get it as a sectional, then you have a fighting chance at getting it in the house. A left piece, and a right piece that hook together after they are in the home. Something like this B-Y Piece, which is actually three pieces in all and the legs can come off - is what I would suggest. The Center consoles are really nice to have as well, they give you an armrest that a motion loveseat does not. You don't have to have the center section, however.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com/show...ther-918600-48
    Duane Collie

Hello drcollie

So happy I found this forum! As with many others I'm in a little bit of a bind. We currently have a large sofa in our apartment with measurements of 83" W x 46" D x 25" H. We just purchased a condo and I'm trying to do the mental gymnastics on whether this will fit or not. I'm pretty sure it won't but I figured I should ask just in case.

The unit is at the end of the hall way that is 43.5" W and 84" H. Our door way is 32" W and 78.5" H. From what I can gather, I can get it down the hallway on it's end/arm but that's as far as I can go with the dimensions. I though if my neighbour directly across opened their door it might help but I don't think it will. Will it fit? Have I missed anything?

Thank you in advance!

Are you sure it is only 25" high? That is basically mid-thigh height.

I think that's a typo, 25" is arm height, not back height.

The 46" depth is going to make that a no-go for a 32" doorway. You'll need a sofa more like this to clear though a 32" door with a corridor. this is my go-to piece for tighter condo deliveries.

http://www.hancockandmoore.com/Produ...ions/City-Sofa
    Duane Collie

Quote Originally Posted by Danw99 View Post
    Are you sure it is only 25" high? That is basically mid-thigh height.
    Yep. It’s the Crate & Barrel Lounge II