Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will it Fit?

Rafree1 Guest

Default Re: Will it Fit?

This is SO helpful! And I measured my widest door which is a straight shot in the house from our deck. it's a garden door almost thirty five inches!! I told you 32. Geez! My husband was explaining to me exactly what you have shown up there in your great illustration! Take the cushions off, turn to fit the way you show. On some I wonder if taking the legs off helps?

This is the BEST forum for information on purchasing a sofa I have ever seen and I've been a member on Garden Webs for a long time! Great info there too but,this is just above and beyond.

Taking the legs off can definitely help in tight spaces, but the legs don't come off on many models, so that's something to ask on a given frame before you buy.

This forum is WAY better than Garden Web, I agree <g>
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Linda5555 Guest

I have money down on a Sundance sofa ,H&M, dimensions are 84"w x 46"d x 38.5"h. 26.5" on the arm height. It's a straight shot into the room I am planning to put it, no bends or turns. My door openings are 34.5" wide. Door frame is 79 " in height. Outside ceiling is ceiling is 103 " high and inside ceiling is 96 " high. Tell me I didn't just waist a ton of money. "Will it Fit'?

hglaber Guest

In this post Duane said a Sundance requires a 34" opening, although a 35" is better so it doesn't look like you'll have to keep it on your front porch if the people bringing it in have decent skills.

Linda5555 Guest

Yes, I am much relieved at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda5555 View Post
    I have money down on a Sundance sofa ,H&M, dimensions are 84"w x 46"d x 38.5"h. 26.5" on the arm height. It's a straight shot into the room I am planning to put it, no bends or turns. My door openings are 34.5" wide. Door frame is 79 " in height. Outside ceiling is ceiling is 103 " high and inside ceiling is 96 " high. Tell me I didn't just waist a ton of money. "Will it Fit'?
    You should be OK if you have a delivery team with some experience. Its a good idea to pad the door jambs before they come in. I carry special pads with internal spring clamps in my local delivery truck just for that reason. Most professional movers will have them as well - ask them to pad the jamb before they bring it in, and of course remove all wreaths, etc, from the door and pictures in the entry way, etc.
    Duane Collie

emannths Guest

Any cheat sheets for what H&M and B&Y sofas will fit 30" doors? Or if the answer is "most," then a shortlist of the ones that won't?

HA! No, there is not. The 'cheat sheet' is in my head, from doing this for longer than I should be.

I can't make a list of them all, that would take hours and quite frankly I don't have that kind of time, sorry. But 30" is not much door width, you have to be careful. Choose sofas that the back cushions come off, AND the backing support behind the cushions is lower than the cushion itself. Also a low arm is going to be mandatory as well.
    Duane Collie

emannths Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    HA! No, there is not. The 'cheat sheet' is in my head, from doing this for longer than I should be.

I can't make a list of them all, that would take hours and quite frankly I don't have that kind of time, sorry. But 30" is not much door width, you have to be careful. Choose sofas that the back cushions come off, AND the backing support behind the cushions is lower than the cushion itself. Also a low arm is going to be mandatory as well.
    Given that I hadn't seen anything after reading just about everything I could find, I figured that was the case. I'd do the math myself, but all the back height measurements incorporate the cushion height as well, right? When you check to see if a particular sofa will fit, what's your process--is it something I can do myself?

I take it that we should eliminate any tight-back or tufted sofas (e.g., Sloane, Carmen, Southport), since they have non-removable back cushions?

Also, we were considering some sofas with a little bit of a curve to them (Bronson has this)--does this make them harder to get through the narrow door, or is it just the arm + back that constitutes the limiting factor?

Sure, just look at the diagram on Page 1 of this thread (Assuming you have no other doorway obstacles).

No way a Bronson is going through 30", sorry! You have to so something like a City or a Member sofa for that small an opening.
    Duane Collie