Thread: Hair oil stain on my hancock and moore

BONNIEG Guest

Default Hair oil stain on my hancock and moore

Hello
    I am new to this forum so I apologize in advance if this question has come up a hundred times. I have a Hancock and Moore Austin high back chair that is the best thing I ever bought. It is about 5 or 6 years old. I have maintained it but obviously not enough because sure enough I have the dark round circle where my husbands head has rested. The leather cleaner that came with the set has not worked, the stain unfortunately has been there now for awhile, is there any chance of getting it out? Please help! I would appreciate any advice you can give, I want to have this furniture for the rest of my life, I absolutely love it. The color is Henna.
    BonnieG

2. 03-02-2011

Default Re: Hair oil stain on my hancock and moore

Hi Bonnie,

I think the stain is probably there to stay. Its one of those things you have try to prevent, but can't do much to cure. Sounds like the leather is Cavalier Henna, which is still current in the line. If its really bothersome, you can have a new bolster pillow casing made up using the 'flag' sewn into the seat deck to get a dye lot match. H&M would make it up but you'd have to have a local upholstery shop detach the old one and sew the new one on.

Wipe down your leather often. Use just a damp cloth if nothing else, or a little Ivory bar soap. I personally prefer the leather maintenance kits like the $ 59.99 one from Leather Magic, as they have a cleaner, conditioner and barrier protectant as well as a sunscreen in the kit. That's what I use at my home on both my auto leather and interior furnishing in leather and I have no staining, even after years and years of use.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.