Thread: Hooker leather recliner

wasColette Guest

Default Hooker leather recliner

I think I know the answer after reading threads here and on Gardenweb. (Duane, so happy you started this separate forum).

After 5 years of construction on our house (DH is doing it all himself), we are finally in the decorating stage. I'm trying to educate myself here. I do want one really comfy chair that is all my own. While looking for a bed in a local furniture shop I saw a leather recliner that was so comfortable for my short stature and slimmer than most recliners. It has nail heads and I love the design of it. The sales person told me it was a Hooker and she could give me a price of $1100 out the door, no tax, free delivery. When I looked the chair up on Hooker's site, it is actually a B-Y Seven Seas line (whatever that is). Here is link:
    http://www.sevenseasseating.com/styl...&pid=216000000

Of course, I wasn't going to just buy it. The only line of leather I really trust is H&M but they are so expensive, esp. when we have a full house to furnish. This post is just to get confirmation that I should pass on this chair. While it looked great and worked well, who knows how the one I receive will be.

Duane, can I get a H&M recliner for under $1200 including tax & shipping? I looked on their website and like these models: although I would really want to actually sit in them to see how they feel: Luxe, Journey, Ritz, Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by wasColette View Post
    I think I know the answer after reading threads here and on Gardenweb. (Duane, so happy you started this separate forum).

Thanks! If we can keep people coming over to it, I think we'll have a very viable community here in a few more months.

While looking for a bed in a local furniture shop I saw a leather recliner that was so comfortable for my short stature and slimmer than most recliners. It has nail heads and I love the design of it. The sales person told me it was a Hooker and she could give me a price of $1100 out the door, no tax, free delivery. When I looked the chair up on Hooker's site, it is actually a B-Y Seven Seas line (whatever that is). Here is link:
    http://www.sevenseasseating.com/styl...&pid=216000000

Argh! The Seven Seas Collection. I hate it. And I'm not supposed to say that as I'm a dealer for Bradington-Young and this is their 'value' line. Its 100% made-in-China and I've had some come through my store and looked at it pretty hard. I question how long this piece will be viable, now too crazy about the components or the quality of the hide. It's probably a good 5-year chair, but not a 10-year one. Remember that everything looks good when its new, but its how it ages that is key. There have been some Quality Control issues in the Seven Seas line and I no longer sell it.

Duane, can I get a H&M recliner for under $1200 including tax & shipping? I looked on their website and like these models: although I would really want to actually sit in them to see how they feel: Luxe, Journey, Ritz, Springfield.
    No, sorry! Of the ones you listed the only one in the Town and Country program is the Journey # 7039 in Document Tobacco leather and that would cost you $ 1,462 + shipping (figure at least $ 180 shipping depending where you live). The rest of the recliners are all going to be closer to $ 2K.

While working within a budget just keep in mind that its usually better to spend $ 1,600 on a recliner than will last 20 years, vs $ 1,100 on one that lasts 5 years. Overall cost of ownership on the H&M will be far less than the Seven Seas unit per year of use. I know that doesn't help the front end cost much, but its really the way you want to consider the purchase.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.