Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey for the perfect sectional!

AZJoe Guest

Default My journey for the perfect sectional!

Approaching closing on our new home, I set out a couple weeks ago to buy a sectional. My wife dragged me to the typical furniture stores around town, and honestly we did not find much that we liked.

We ended up at "La Z Boy" and she found a big sectional she liked, for around $6500 + Tax.

Now me knowing next to nothing about furniture, BUT being a research-a-holic said we should hold off, until I can research a bit. Upon some digging I found out that La Z boy is more or less of the lower tier, and clearly overpriced for what it is.

Well that lead me to this great place. I immediately fell in love with the Sundance sectional, as we plan to float it in our living room, which is the focal point of the main foyer, and kitchen. It seemed like it would fit the bill perfectly. I went to 2 local places just to attempt to sit on them, and was equally happy with the way they felt.

Currently I am at the hide picking stage, better known as the "drive yourself crazy stage". A week ago I would have been fine with just about anything, but I have quickly grown picky.lol I went to a local dealer yesterday, and borrowed 11 of their samples in the gr1-gr3 range. Upon getting them home I started to look at them. I wanted to ignore the label on the back, and try and pick out which ones I liked best, regardless of class.

I organized them in a row from the one/ones i liked most, to least. The Gr3 were all at the front of the pack, followed by gr 2, and lastly the 2 Columbia gr 1's.

I really liked the Columbia hides actually, but I noticed they were super reflective, and noticeably more unnatural then the other hides I had selected.

I currently have it narrowed down to the following:
    Garfield Fawn(gr3)
    Atticus Chestnut(gr2)
    Kipling Whiskey(gr2)
    And the curve ball "Terra French Luggage burnished"(gr3) I really love the look of THIS sofa

Being as I still have so many questions I figured it would be prudent to start this thread, as to not continue bombarding Duane with a million pm's, and help others in a similar situation.

My biggest concern is how they will wear. I would hate to have to replace this sofa in under 10 years, given the cost associated with it. I take very good care of my things, but my sofa also gets used frequently. Working from home, means I spend a large portion of the day sitting on the sofa with my laptop.

So keeping that in mind, as well as the sofa it will be going on, on to the questions

1. Out of the gr3 choices, do you have any experience with how they wear?

2. Color aside, do you have a favorite hide, in each class on that list?

3. Other then those I like the look of Imperial Whiskey Burnished, Buckingham walnut burnished, and weston cane/weston sunrised burnished, although I could not get samples of them. Do you have any particular feelings on those hides, keeping in mind what I am looking for? I think the Buckingham, and Weston Cane are my favorites of the 4.

Overall I am looking for a medium brown, something not too dark. I really like some of the Orangy, caramel-ish burnished ones. I feel they look very deep, and rich. So I figured I would ask about these as well.

I want something that is going to be rather neutral, and timeless. I do not want to buy something I will look at in 5 years and ask "what was I thinking"

Thanks for all the help Duane! You are making this painstaking process, much less painful for me. I am hoping we can sort out the remaining details, and get this thing ordered in the coming week.
    Last edited by AZJoe; 03-12-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Default Re: My journey for the perfect sectional!

Been moving furniture around all morning in the store, hot and sweaty work..time for a break and a drink! Check the forum and this is a good thread to take time to coool down and respond to....

First of all - I am SHOCKED that La-Z-Boy can get $ 6,500 for a sectional. I'm actually shocked if they could get $ 3,500 for one. I know how they are made and seen the inside of them. They come out of China and I'd be willing to bet that the company pays their Chinese affiliate about $ 900
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    Been moving furniture around all morning in the store, hot and sweaty work..time for a break and a drink! Check the forum and this is a good thread to take time to coool down and respond to....

First of all - I am SHOCKED that La-Z-Boy can get $ 6,500 for a sectional. I'm actually shocked if they could get $ 3,500 for one. I know how they are made and seen the inside of them. They come out of China and I'd be willing to bet that the company pays their Chinese affiliate about $ 900
    You are telling me. I am not "in the know" on furniture, but I purchase MANY things, and I know brands like that are usually overpriced. You often pay for a name/reputation that was built on the quality they may have had 50 years ago. That is why I always find a forum to join, and try figure out what the "best" is. I am literally a member of over 100 forums..lol I have a sickness.

Glad to see you are enjoying your saturday! lol

I have to comment on that La-Z-Boy price. $ 6,500.00 !! Damned bold of them to ask that much for a piece built the way they do it. That is 100% made in China and I'd wager they don't pay more than $ 900.00 to their manufacturer for it, if that. The complaints from consumers about their quality never stop. I got bored reading after the first page...but of course its hard to see the inside construction when it all looks nice in the showroom. And La-Z-Boy showrooms do present well.

http://www.my3cents.com/companyOverview.cgi?code=172

The Hancock and Moore Sundance sectional is a beauty. They broke new design ground with that model as its more elegant from the back than when viewed from the front. Even my delivery guys - who ignore most furniture - comment how good they look when they put one in a customer's home and float it in a room setting.

Wearability is more a function of maintenance and keeping it out of direct sunlight moreso than leather selection. You have to clean the leather to make it last. And that goes for anyone's leather, not just H&M. Regular maintenance removed the oils and dirt, and the hide will go and go and go if you do that. Ignore it, and your leather will crack in eight to ten years, and split apart in twelve. Mostly you select the leather based on color, feel, look, texture, aroma, and your budget. Remember these pieces will last for 30 + years if given regular cleaning/conditioning cycles and not bleached out by the sun. I've many a customer regret buying the inexpensive leathers but at the time it seemed to make more financial sense, and have NEVER had the first customer tell me they regretted buying a premium leather and wished they had saved the money by going downmarket in grade. At the end of the day, however - only you can determine what is financially comfortable in selecting a cover as the price does vary quite a bit. Its not a good thing to over-extend in the dollar category to where the purchase is uncomfortable.

Columbia is an excellent value hide from South America. Its the ONLY grade 1 leather I recommend. But as you note, it has a corrected look to it and when put in company of the other leathers its easy to see its not the same as the upper tier leather.

Garfield from Italy is superb. I like this hide a lot. It has wild color swings in the dye lot variances and sheens as well. Lots of natural markings and they've done a translucent effect to the topcoat of this leather where it has more color depth than most any other leather in the line. You can actually see down into the color on this one, if that makes any sense. Because of the noticeable variances in color and sheen on this leather, its one that you should request a Cutting For Approval on provided you're not in a hurry to get your piece. CFA's add about 4 weeks to the build process.

Atticus is a South American natural leather. Great look, nice sheen. Another one I recommend. Has a light pull-up effect. Put your nose to this leather, however. South American hides can smell a little 'oily' and make sure you don't object to the aroma of the leather. A sectional uses a lot of hides and the leather aroma will be all about the room.

Kipling is Italian/Chinese and for many years was my all-time favorite in GR 2 leather. I have this on my recliner at home. Its a nice balance of protection/color/natural markings and price. It will get small crinkle hairline marks in it as it ages.

Terra French Luggage Burnished is so much fun. What a great look. A new leather from H&M, its hand-glazed after the piece is built. Good and tough, it will have a little bit of a 'hard' surface feel at first from the glazing, but that will soften with use. This would probably make up the most handsome of all the leathers mentioned.

Imperial Whiskey Burnished and Weston Cane Burnished are also excellent, with the Weston a little more subdued with tones and Imperial getting a tad more colorburst of golden amber. Like all burnished leathers, its a leap of faith to see what you get when the piece arrives. They are not for someone who has to have absolute accuracy in a color swatch beforehand.

If you feel like blowing the kid's college education fund, look at Capri Butternut. Its a GR IV, and would make the most luxurious, sumptuous and inviting Sundance that you can possibly imagine. In those color tones, that's the one to beat.

Hope that helps!
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
    I have to comment on that La-Z-Boy price. $ 6,500.00 !! Damned bold of them to ask that much for a piece built the way they do it. That is 100% made in China and I'd wager they don't pay more than $ 900.00 to their manufacturer for it, if that. The complaints from consumers about their quality never stop. I got bored reading after the first page...but of course its hard to see the inside construction when it all looks nice in the showroom. And La-Z-Boy showrooms do present well.

http://www.my3cents.com/companyOverview.cgi?code=172

The Hancock and Moore Sundance sectional is a beauty. They broke new design ground with that model as its more elegant from the back than when viewed from the front. Even my delivery guys - who ignore most furniture - comment how good they look when they put one in a customer's home and float it in a room setting.

Wearability is more a function of maintenance and keeping it out of direct sunlight moreso than leather selection. You have to clean the leather to make it last. And that goes for anyone's leather, not just H&M. Regular maintenance removed the oils and dirt, and the hide will go and go and go if you do that. Ignore it, and your leather will crack in eight to ten years, and split apart in twelve. Mostly you select the leather based on color, feel, look, texture, aroma, and your budget. Remember these pieces will last for 30 + years if given regular cleaning/conditioning cycles and not bleached out by the sun. I've many a customer regret buying the inexpensive leathers but at the time it seemed to make more financial sense, and have NEVER had the first customer tell me they regretted buying a premium leather and wished they had saved the money by going downmarket in grade. At the end of the day, however - only you can determine what is financially comfortable in selecting a cover as the price does vary quite a bit. Its not a good thing to over-extend in the dollar category to where the purchase is uncomfortable.

Columbia is an excellent value hide from South America. Its the ONLY grade 1 leather I recommend. But as you note, it has a corrected look to it and when put in company of the other leathers its easy to see its not the same as the upper tier leather.

Garfield from Italy is superb. I like this hide a lot. It has wild color swings in the dye lot variances and sheens as well. Lots of natural markings and they've done a translucent effect to the topcoat of this leather where it has more color depth than most any other leather in the line. You can actually see down into the color on this one, if that makes any sense. Because of the noticeable variances in color and sheen on this leather, its one that you should request a Cutting For Approval on provided you're not in a hurry to get your piece. CFA's add about 4 weeks to the build process.

Atticus is a South American natural leather. Great look, nice sheen. Another one I recommend. Has a light pull-up effect. Put your nose to this leather, however. South American hides can smell a little 'oily' and make sure you don't object to the aroma of the leather. A sectional uses a lot of hides and the leather aroma will be all about the room.

Kipling is Italian/Chinese and for many years was my all-time favorite in GR 2 leather. I have this on my recliner at home. Its a nice balance of protection/color/natural markings and price. It will get small crinkle hairline marks in it as it ages.

Terra French Luggage Burnished is so much fun. What a great look. A new leather from H&M, its hand-glazed after the piece is built. Good and tough, it will have a little bit of a 'hard' surface feel at first from the glazing, but that will soften with use. This would probably make up the most handsome of all the leathers mentioned.

Imperial Whiskey Burnished and Weston Cane Burnished are also excellent, with the Weston a little more subdued with tones and Imperial getting a tad more colorburst of golden amber. Like all burnished leathers, its a leap of faith to see what you get when the piece arrives. They are not for someone who has to have absolute accuracy in a color swatch beforehand.

If you feel like blowing the kid's college education fund, look at Capri Butternut. Its a GR IV, and would make the most luxurious, sumptuous and inviting Sundance that you can possibly imagine. In those color tones, that's the one to beat.

Hope that helps!
    That does help quite a bit, thanks for taking the time out to explain it a bit further.

If I went with a burnished hide, can you specify to what degree of burnishing? Or more precisely the contrast of the burnishing? I almost like when it is a bit more subdued, and less contrasty.

The problem I am having is I like a bit of depth, and burnishing seems to give that, but something like the Garfield Fawn to me almost seems to have that effect. I am surprised I can't find any more pics of the Garfield fawn. I am fairly drawn to that hide. When it is sitting on my countertop, it seems to really stand out among the rest.

If budget became a factor, would you prefer to have the sofa of your choice, with a less expensive hide, or a less expensive sofa, with a superior hide?

That was the one other thing I was debating. If I can't swing the sundance in the hide of my choice, would I be better off doing the City(for example) with the hide I really want.

edit** upon further inspection, Yardley Tobacco is fairly nice as well.
    Last edited by AZJoe; 03-12-2011 at 01:31 PM.

bubbaonline Guest

Isn't there a picture of that Terra French Luggage on the site?

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaonline View Post
    Isn't there a picture of that Terra French Luggage on the site?
    Yup, I put a link to it in my original post..

bubbaonline Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    If I went with a burnished hide, can you specify to what degree of burnishing? Or more precisely the contrast of the burnishing? I almost like when it is a bit more subdued, and less contrasty. The problem I am having is I like a bit of depth, and burnishing seems to give that, but something like the Garfield Fawn to me almost seems to have that effect. I am surprised I can't find any more pics of the Garfield fawn. I am fairly drawn to that hide. When it is sitting on my countertop, it seems to really stand out among the rest.

If budget became a factor, would you prefer to have the sofa of your choice, with a less expensive hide, or a less expensive sofa, with a superior hide?

That was the one other thing I was debating. If I can't swing the sundance in the hide of my choice, would I be better off doing the City(for example) with the hide I really want.

edit** upon further inspection, Yardley Tobacco is fairly nice as well.
    A burnished hide is an artistic hide, you can't really tell what you are going to get as its all artisan hand-done, any more than you can commission a painting and be sure of what the end product is going to look like. I happen to like virtually all burnished leathers myself and appreciate the individual nuances from piece to piece, but as mentioned before this is not a leather you select if you want a sure thing.

If I were buying a sectional to float in a room, I'd MUCH rather have a Sundance in Colombia that a City in Capri....that's just me.
    Duane Collie

AZJoe Guest

Got ya. I had just wondered if you can specify "lightly burnished". FWIW I actually like almost the burnished hides as well. I think they are very unique, and I certainly do appreciate it.

The more I look at the Yardley Tobacco, the more I like it for a gr2 choice(maybe even the Aspen Tobacco ). The Kipling whiskey might be a bit too red for my liking.

What is typically considered more "formal"? Sectional, vs sofa/sofa or Sofa/loveseat? I would like to keep the room warm, and inviting.

The good thing is this sofa will be the first piece of furniture for the new living room, so I can try and work everything else around it. I just want to get a nice color tone to work from. I have a VERY hard time putting things together, although when I see something I like I know it..lol This whole process is stressing me out, as I don't want things to look out of place, and not be cohesive.