Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey for the perfect sectional!

organic_smallhome Guest

Default Re: My journey for the perfect sectional!

Here are some great guidelines on sizing a rug and rug placement:

http://www.karastan.com/DesignAndCre...?id=2147483742

organic_smallhome Guest

On the treadmill? Good for you!!!

I don't think making the rug curved under the ottoman will solve the problem. What I meant by "boxy" (I'm having a heck of a time today articulating myself!) is that having a rug under the entire sofa will open up the sitting area. Having a rug just under the ottoman would create this kind of boxed-in and heavy lump (sofa curled around ottoman and rug) in the middle of the room?

organic_smallhome Guest

Any good rug/carpet shop will sell Karastan and will custom measure and order carpet for you. But it will probably be pretty expensive to do so!

AZJoe Guest

Do you think 6" is adequate on all sides for the carpet to extend? Or more like 12"? I will try and scetch something up.

Thanks for all the help! This is really my first time trying to decorate a house. My last house I was 22 years old and could care less, as long as I had a pool table. Lol

organic_smallhome Guest

I'd say 12" (minimum) would be better.

Off to work--will check back later!

bubbaonline Guest

Another vote for Karastan.. We have one under our coffeetable/ottoman for about ten years... Still looks brand-new...

If you want a rug for in front of the sectional, under the ottoman, you are most likely looking for a 5 X 8 or 6 X 9..

Those aren't the exact dimensions.. You might find one is 5'6" X 8'3", and the next one will be 6' X 8'9".. which might make a difference on which one you will choose...

Monique Guest

Thumbs up Re: My journey for the perfect sectional!

AZ Joe, your sofa is gorgeous. A large rug is really going to pull it all together. I've had Karastan rugs since 1979. Those are in my daughter's home now and still almost new. They have been moved all over the country and there were always dogs in the houses. You can't beat a wool rug. The wool holds up so much better than any man-made fiber. All of mine are oriental designs. They have lots of colors but look well with almost any decor.

When we had a mountain house, I had a carpet store cut some polypropylene carpet and bind it for me to use in the great room. I didn't want any pattern, just some texture. It looked very natural and was gorgeous in the room. The polypropylene is like the rugs you use outdoors. The rug looked like a sisal rug but was indestructable. It was a good look and worked well for us too. The price was extremely reasonable too, almost cheap!

This is just a thought but something I have done that was very helpful when decorating such a large, open space. I have hired a decorator for a couple of hours for advice only. It is amazing what they can do to help in so short a period of time. Here it runs about a hundred an hour but worth it when you think of the investment in furnishings etc. They basically pointed me in the right direction and kept me from making any expensive mistakes. I had not known they would work that way...by the hour until a friend used one and then I decided to try it as well...worth the money in the grand scheme of things.

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaonline View Post
    Another vote for Karastan.. We have one under our coffeetable/ottoman for about ten years... Still looks brand-new...

If you want a rug for in front of the sectional, under the ottoman, you are most likely looking for a 5 X 8 or 6 X 9..

Those aren't the exact dimensions.. You might find one is 5'6" X 8'3", and the next one will be 6' X 8'9".. which might make a difference on which one you will choose...
    Thanks for the input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    AZ Joe, your sofa is gorgeous. A large rug is really going to pull it all together. I've had Karastan rugs since 1979. Those are in my daughter's home now and still almost new. They have been moved all over the country and there were always dogs in the houses. You can't beat a wool rug. The wool holds up so much better than any man-made fiber. All of mine are oriental designs. They have lots of colors but look well with almost any decor.

When we had a mountain house, I had a carpet store cut some polypropylene carpet and bind it for me to use in the great room. I didn't want any pattern, just some texture. It looked very natural and was gorgeous in the room. The polypropylene is like the rugs you use outdoors. The rug looked like a sisal rug but was indestructable. It was a good look and worked well for us too. The price was extremely reasonable too, almost cheap!

This is just a thought but something I have done that was very helpful when decorating such a large, open space. I have hired a decorator for a couple of hours for advice only. It is amazing what they can do to help in so short a period of time. Here it runs about a hundred an hour but worth it when you think of the investment in furnishings etc. They basically pointed me in the right direction and kept me from making any expensive mistakes. I had not known they would work that way...by the hour until a friend used one and then I decided to try it as well...worth the money in the grand scheme of things.
    Thanks for the compliments on the sofa, and also the input regarding the rug.

What you are saying about a decorator, is exactly what I was thinking. About a month ago, I contacted one, and more or less said "I would like you to come in, take what I already have, and suggest anything else to pull it all together". I just don't know who to trust. Some of these decorators sites/portfolios are so intense, that I am not even sure they would want to waste their time on my minor job..lol

I just need them to make a list, etc because I am not sure I will be able to just buy everything all at once, considering I just furnished almost my entire house in one foul swoop.

Upon getting home, and looking at the space, the one issue I have with doing a rug under the entire sectional is this.

If you look at this sketch, where the corner of the sofa is(it is actually curved here, not square), there would be 12" of rug sticking out into the room. I just worry people may trip over it, etc. I am going to have to add a few rug options to this sketch, to illustrate it.

Here is a quick visual of what I am referring to. The carpet would extend a good deal into the walk way, as the curve there, would form a right angle meeting the two sides.

Last edited by AZJoe; 06-14-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Love your sectional and have enjoyed your journey!

What additional furniture do you plan to add? End tables? Occasional chairs?

AZJoe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by juliepooch View Post
    Love your sectional and have enjoyed your journey!

What additional furniture do you plan to add? End tables? Occasional chairs?
    Thank you. Honestly, I dont think I have the room for end tables.

I want to get some H&M stools for my counter, and other sorts of accessories, art, etc. I have a few niches on my walls, that I would like to fill with things.

Possibly a recliner one day.

In my main foyer, I would like to maybe get a bench on one side, and potentially a custom made Buchanan piece on the other side, with either a mirror in the niche over it, or pice of art.

I am going to keep Duane very busy with questions..haha