Thread: Leather Recommendations for Austin Highback Sofa (8138 NB)

Default Leather Recommendations for Austin Highback Sofa (8138 NB)

I am currently interested in the Austin Highback Sofa (8138 NB). My local furniture dealer has a floor model in Viking Tobacco leather. This dealer shows all of its H&M floor model pieces in the program (Just in Time or Town & Country) leathers. So I have only been able to see and feel the Viking, Document and Cavalier leathers.

This furniture is for my family room and will get constant use. So I am looking for a leather that will last a long time with regular maintenance. I like the look of the Viking Tobacco leather on the Austin, but worry about it being a finished/painted leather. (I'd hate it to crack/peel in 5-10 years.) I'd possibly like a leather with a better feel than the Viking. Can you recommend leathers other that the Viking that would be a good fit without breaking the bank?

Thanks so much for your help.

Default Re: Leather Recommendations for Austin Highback Sofa (8138 NB)

There are many leathers far superior to the promotional hides. However "breaking the bank" is not a term I can really work with as it has no dollar number to it and therefore I don't know the budget parameters.

Atticus is a South American Aniline that is a GR 2, and one I happen to really like cost/value. It's always had excellent customer feedback on it as well (over time). Perhaps give that one a look.

Even finished leathers are not typically going to crack and peel ni 5 to 10 years. I have a finished leather H&M piece that looks terrific and it was purchased in 1986.
    Last edited by drcollie; 08-01-2018 at 11:21 PM.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.

Thanks so much for replying to my post.

Sorry for being vague with my "breaking the bank" reference. I've only been quoted prices of H&M pieces with promotional hides and have no idea what other grade leathers cost. I will definitely look into the Atticus leather. Could you recommend any other leathers that would be (+/-) $1000 up charge to the Viking leather?

Viking is a promotional leather, and quite honestly the "cheapest" leather that H&M puts on a piece. So virtually any leather in GR 1 or GR 2 will be an upgrade from Viking. If you want a true aniline, they will start in GR 2 and there are only a few there, Atticus being one, Yardley is another. For a finished leather - take a look at Champion GR 2 or Aspen GR 2.
    Duane Collie
    Straight answers from thirty-six years in the business.
    My Private Messages are Disabled - Please ask questions here in the forum.